• Show
Clear All
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Does anyone have a "green car"?

Just wondering. If you do, which one is it, and what's good (aside from the mielage) and bad about it?

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/
  • Almightymoonpie
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2007
    • Mobile, Al
    • Ridgid TS3650

2002 Land Rover Discovery, well it is dark green as far as mpg hummmm might be 12.

Comment

• Cheeky
      • Nov 2006
      • westchester cty, new york
      • Ridgid TS2400LS

I have a 2006 Honda Civic, which gets 40mpg on the highway (which is most of my driving).

The hybrid version gets ~50mpg city and highway.

Suprising I fit in the Civic. I though the salesman was on crack when he said I wouldn't fit in the Accord, but would have plenty of room in the Civic (I'm 6'5).

It's a great car, comfortable and sufficient power. The seats are firm, I have plenty of legroom, the digital speedometer is awesome, and lastly, it's a Honda, so I don't have to deal with any more Saab quirks.

Knowing it's a certified low emissions vehicle is the cherry on the sundae.
      Last edited by Cheeky; 07-24-2007, 09:04 PM.
      Pete

Comment

• dick541
        Forum Newbie
        • Nov 2004
        • Stoneville, north carolina, USA.
        • BT3100

I have 2 Prius, I tell everybody I hate them so much I bought a second one. A 2004 with 85,000 miles and an 2007 with 6,000 miles getting 54-55 mpg with both. Great cars no problems with either, can go 550 miles before fill up. Mostly hyway with the new one about 400 miles a week, wife has the old one, about 200 miles a week. Rides so nice I have almost fallen asleep 3 time in the last year. Only thing I don't like is it is hard to get the gas tank topped off all the way with the bladder in the tank.

dick

Comment

• Mr__Bill
          Veteran Member
          • May 2007
          • Tacoma, WA
          • BT3000

My 90 Bronco at 17mph is green all winter but come spring I usually wash the mold off. Was thinking today maybe time to wash the mud off of it.

Mileage alone does not make a car green. I think the total cost to the environment must be factored in. Recycling a used vehicle into a usable "new car for you" may make far less of an impact on the environment than buying a new one even if the used one it gets poor gas mileage. Not to mention the green it takes to buy a new car or truck today.

Comment

• Dale In Corona
            Forum Newbie
            • Jan 2005
            • Corona, CA, USA.

I've been considering a new hybrid but the LomL says I would have to give up my full size pickup to get it. I don't mind the idea of getting better than 15 MPG, but I am not too sure I want to give up the utility of my truck. Which would, I believe, have a direct negative impact on my ability to haul wood home. Needless to say, I haven't rushed right out and changed vehicles. Any of you green machine owners hauling sheet material around and if so, how?

Comment

• Ed62
              The Full Monte
              • Oct 2006
              • NW Indiana
              • BT3K

Originally posted by Dale In Corona
              I've been considering a new hybrid but the LomL says I would have to give up my full size pickup to get it. I don't mind the idea of getting better than 15 MPG, but I am not too sure I want to give up the utility of my truck. Which would, I believe, have a direct negative impact on my ability to haul wood home. Needless to say, I haven't rushed right out and changed vehicles. Any of you green machine owners hauling sheet material around and if so, how?
              I'm not that familiar with what's out there, but I think some of them may be able to tow a small trailer, like those from HF, in the $300.00 range. I have one I use all the time, but I'm driving a LeSabre.

Ed
              Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Tom Slick
                Veteran Member
                • May 2005
                • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                • sears BT3 clone

There are hybrid pickups, but they are only available to fleets, not the general public. the best gains are made in pickups but it doesn't fit the image that the hybrid cars are sold on. my wife's next car will probably be a hybrid.
                Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Anna
                  • Feb 2006
                  • CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

Here's an argument that a Prius is less "eco-friendly" than a hummer.

For what it's worth, I have a Honda Civic Hybrid. I'm averaging 45 mpg mixed city/highway driving. Hubby has a diesel Benz that also gets 45 mpg (at least on the highway).

I picked the Civic over the Prius because it's less conspicuous. I don't want to make a political statement driving it, I just like the lower emissions. (Am thinking of putting an NRA sticker on it, or maybe something like, "I'm Not A Democrat". Not that there's anything wrong with being a Democrat, but I hate the association of being ecologically-conscious with the "liberal" movement.)

Comment

• nickg
                    Established Member
                    • Jul 2007
                    • Marietta, Georgia
                    • Ryobi BT3000

My wife has a 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid. She got it last fall, and has been quite pleased with it. She originally wanted a Prius, but the ATL Toyota dealers were pretty much sticking to their guns back then - ie: no deals - it was sticker price plus $625 - take it or leave it. We left it!

I think Ford bought at least part of Toyota's Hybrid technology. That is, the car starts off with the electric motor, and then the 4 cyl gas engine automatically comes to life at 20 MPH. Once the engine is warmed up, the gas motor will shut off at a stop sign or traffic light (takes some getting used to). She gets about 31-32 MPG in town (electric motor used a lot) and a bit less on the highway when the gas engine is utilized exclusively.

I recently read a review of the Escape and the tester had good things to say about the Hybrid, but was not too impressed with the Escape gasoline model.

Comment

• prlundberg
                      Established Member
                      • May 2006
                      • Minnesota
                      • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Ed62
                      I'm not that familiar with what's out there, but I think some of them may be able to tow a small trailer, like those from HF, in the $300.00 range. I have one I use all the time, but I'm driving a LeSabre.
                      Even economy cars are usually rated to tow least 1000 pounds, properly equipped of course. That's similar to the maximum payload of many SUVs.

We used to own a Green Civic Coupe. Nice car, traded it in when baby was on the way. Dealer resold it for 65% of what we paid for it new 5 years earlier. I guess they are in demand.

I've driven a Prius, was pretty impressed with it. Didn't care for the seats though, I found them pretty uncomfortable.
                      Phil

Comment

• jziegler
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2005
                        • Salem, NJ, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3100

What is your definition of a green car?

My car was getting to be less reliable than I could deal with last fall (4 days in the shop within a month, too much to deal with for me) so I went shopping. I didn't consider any of the conventional "green" cars, I don't think that the technology is mature enough for me to want it. I'm concerned about the possibility of need to replace a massive number of batteries after the warrenty expires. But, I also was tired of getting about 25MPG on premium gas for my 55+ miles daily. I ended up with a Pontiac Vibe (same as the Toyota Matrix, basically a Corolla wagon) as it is the most fuel efficient (and probably most relaible) small wagon on the market right now. I get about 33-34MPG with it, and probably only have a little less usable space than in the Ford Escape Hybrid. And I will note that it does have the 1000lb towing capacity noted by Phil, if I installed a hitch and harness. Same towiny capacity as the Maxima that it replaced, and as the Camry that it parks next to (LOML's car). The Vibe would probably do better towing than the Camry, which has always seemed a bit underpowered to me.

I'm not sure that I buy the Hummer vs Prius comparison, but then I would not consider either of those cars at this point anyway.

Jim

Comment

• prlundberg
                          Established Member
                          • May 2006
                          • Minnesota
                          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by jziegler
                          I'm not sure that I buy the Hummer vs Prius comparison, but then I would not consider either of those cars at this point anyway.
                          Yep, their argument falls apart if they can't prove that a Hummer lasts three times as long as a Prius. I've read their explanation, they can't. They base their logic on unfounded theories, which amounts to guesses.

That said, the enviromental concerns with the batteries are real.
                          Phil

Comment

• 180x
                            Established Member
                            • Dec 2006
                            • North Augusta, SC
                            • Craftsman 21829

I have a '02 Honda Insight. I believe '06 was the last year they made them. I got it strictly for the gas mileage. If I had a family (I'm single) I'd probably own a Prius. I drive it the most by far (have an Avalanche, Delorean, and Fiat Spider), but hate it for longer trips due to no cruise control and the seats are "funky" (that's not the good 1970's kinda funky either).
                            Dwayne

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                              • Dec 2005
                              • Russell, NY, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3000

No, not yet. As soon as the lease on my 05 TrailBlaZer runs out next Feb. I'm going to get a Saturn Hybrid Vue. Living in snow country I need the 4 whl capability but also sure want to start spending less on fuel!
                              RuffSawn
                              Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

Working...