• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JTimmons
    • Feb 2005
    • Denver, CO.
    • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

Dogs in the store!

Don't take this wrong way we have 2 ourselves, one Lab and the other a rescue dog that's half German and Aussie Shepard. They are confused, they think they are people, sleep in the bed, sit on the couch and even watch TV. In short, we consider them our kids.

Not sure if it's a Colorado thing as I didn't see much of it going on in Oklahoma, but here I have recently noticed an increase in people taking their dogs into stores.

Taking them into Petsmart is cool, we do! If you're gonna do it, I think this is the best place, unless you got a Lab like us who thinks it's okay to squat in the dog food isle everytime and leave a LARGE present for the employees.

BUT.....Lowes, Home Depot, Target and WalMart! Heck, a couple of weeks ago we were in Linens and Things and some lady came in with her dog.

So what's your thoughts?
    Yes
    14.71%
    No
    69.12%
    I could care less either way
    16.18%
    "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
    -- Johnny Carson
  • AAJIII
    Established Member
    • Jan 2003
    • WANAQUE, NJ, USA.
    • Steel City 10" table saw

dogs

I am a dog owner also, but they do not belong in stores.

After all they are still animals and can be unpredictable.

Let's not forget the people who have a fear of dogs.

Al
    AL JEWELL

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

I echo both of your opinions. I have a dog and don't think it is polite to take them into any stores that aren't pet stores.
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• thestinker
        • Oct 2005
        • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

I would say unless its a seeing eye dog, then no. I have 2 dogs, both stay outside. Here in TX the winters are not that severe or long, so they do fine outside with thier house and kennel I keep full of hay for the winter. Just because I love my dogs, doesn't mean I will love yours, so please do the courisy of leaving them at home with the exception of the pet store. But thats just me.....I know someone who won't go anywhere without thier dog.
        Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• Russianwolf
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
          • One of them there Toy saws

depends on the store in my opinion.

If the store has or sells food related items. NO PETS.

If the store is a nice carpeted frilly type store. NO PETS. (accidents happen)

If the store is a warehouse type mechandise store (Lowes/HD) I don't have a problem with pets in them as long as they know how to behave.

I used to live in DC. Many places in DC are pet friendly. While I wouldn't take my pups inside a restaurant, they have spent many mornings sitting outside the 'fence' at an outdoor bistro while we had brunch. people passing never seemed to mind (most stopped to pet them) and the waiter/ess always paid attention to them too. Lakota would get invited in to some places when we were out for walks. One Hair Salon begged me to bring him in everytime we passed. The customers got a kick out of him.
          Mike
          Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
            Bandsaw Box Momma
            • Apr 2005
            • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

Personally I voted for the last one. We have two dogs, both labs. I know them and we don't take them any where unless its in the woods. Both dogs are very protective and the choc. lab is hard to hang onto.

If the dog is well behaved and doesn't bark through out the store and its a small dog who sits in a cart and is not running around I don't have problems with them. But if the store has food, different story, it is a no.

I know that people love their dogs and we love ours also, but sometimes they are worse than having a baby to take care of.
            Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• prlundberg
              Established Member
              • May 2006
              • Minnesota
              • Craftsman 21829

I like dogs, but there are just to many issues to allow them in most stores.

One of the biggest issue is that many (but certainly not all) owners think their dogs can do no wrong and ignore the fact that they are animals. Another big one is that a fairly large portion of the population is allergic to them.
              Phil

Comment

• cgallery
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2004
                • Milwaukee, WI
                • BT3K

How do I answer if I OWN the store and I keep a dog (black lab) in the shop w/ me?

After about 4:00 I'm the only employee here and he keeps me company.

He is very mellow and sleeps most of the time.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

Ordinances vary, I'm sure, from place to place, but except for service animals (guide dogs, etc.), pets are usually not permitted in stores for health and sanitary reasons. That said, it is also illegal in many places, not to mention inhumane, to leave your animal locked in a car. Solution: Leave the darned thing at home!

Comment

• Russianwolf
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                    • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                    Ordinances vary, I'm sure, from place to place, but except for service animals (guide dogs, etc.), pets are usually not permitted in stores for health and sanitary reasons. That said, it is also illegal in many places, not to mention inhumane, to leave your animal locked in a car. Solution: Leave the darned thing at home!
                    generally those ordinances only apply to stores that sell food items. many times it's even limited to store with unpackaged food items.

My neighbor owns a gun store. When he goes in to the store he takes his cocker with him. This is in no way illegal as the store offers no food items.
                    Mike
                    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• ragswl4
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Winchester, Ca
                      • C-Man 22114

I voted no, even though we have a small (10lb) Yorkie/Bichon. We don't like to bother people with our pet as he is so friendly he wants everyone's attention. For some people that is aggravating and not everyone likes dogs.

We stayed at a state park in our RV near Santa Barbara, Ca. One day we decided to go see the sights there. We strolled into the main downtown area where all the shops and stores were. I swear we were the only people that did not have a dog with them. Dogs were everywhere in every store. Mostly just little guys/gals but still you couldn't walk 20 feet in a store without tripping over a leash. Must be something about the air there. Very strange.
                      RAGS
                      Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                      sigpic

Comment

• TheRic
                        • Jun 2004
                        • West Central Ohio
                        • bt3100

I say no (unless special need animals). I love my dog, I would not have a problem taking him someplace. I never will I respect rights of other people. I think it's easier to leave the animal at home then take him anywhere.

It's too easy for any animal to accidentally do something to someone or something. What happens if your dog who "wouldn't hurt a flea" meets another dog that "wouldn't hurt a flea" they might try to hurt each other, or even play fight, etc.

A big dog could easily knock over a small child, any animal could easily knock over something, or knock something off a shelf. Heck my dog could clean a coffee table off in a microsecond with his tail.

My step son has problems with allergies, when he comes over to visit he has to make sure he takes his med before he comes. Is he suppose to now worry about taking meds every time he goes somewhere.

I have a neighbor whose kids are scared to death of dogs, parents have no clue why. They might be afraid to go to a Home Depot because someone else had their dog in the store.
                        Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• eezlock
                          • Feb 2006
                          • Charlotte,N.C.
                          • BT3100

dogs in the store........

I am a dog owner and I love my pets....but there is a time and place for them
                          and a retail type store is not the right place for the pets! A petsmart
                          or other pet store....ok...but not at HD or wallyworld! eezlock

Comment

• Ed62
                            The Full Monte
                            • Oct 2006
                            • NW Indiana
                            • BT3K

I have to admit that I'm a dog lover. But I think there are places they should not be, unless they are service dogs. The store is one of them, if you are a customer. If you own a business, it's your option to have them in the store. But you should consider the consequences if anything should happen.
                            Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                            it is also illegal in many places, not to mention inhumane, to leave your animal locked in a car. [/B]
                            We had a golden retriever who loved to go in the car. One day I went to the car to get something. Unknown to me, she crawled in the back seat. The windows were up, and it was in the mid 90s that day. We missed her being around, and my wife asked me where she was. I had no idea. When I went to the car, she was dead. It's not something you want to see.

Ed
                            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• JTimmons
                              • Feb 2005
                              • Denver, CO.
                              • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by TheRic
                              I say no (unless special need animals). I love my dog, I would not have a problem taking him someplace. I never will I respect rights of other people. I think it's easier to leave the animal at home then take him anywhere.

It's too easy for any animal to accidentally do something to someone or something. What happens if your dog who "wouldn't hurt a flea" meets another dog that "wouldn't hurt a flea" they might try to hurt each other, or even play fight, etc.

A big dog could easily knock over a small child, any animal could easily knock over something, or knock something off a shelf. Heck my dog could clean a coffee table off in a microsecond with his tail.

My step son has problems with allergies, when he comes over to visit he has to make sure he takes his med before he comes. Is he suppose to now worry about taking meds every time he goes somewhere.

I have a neighbor whose kids are scared to death of dogs, parents have no clue why. They might be afraid to go to a Home Depot because someone else had their dog in the store.
                              Very good points Ric and yes I meant to exclude special needs animals.

I have a neighbor who acts scared to death of dogs too, I might also add he's 6'8" maybe 280 to 290 lbs. I call him Lerch and my wife calls him Frank, short for Frankenstein and he cringes at the sight of a dog, big or small.
                              He's a really nice guy, excluding the fact that he's a Civil Engineer and analyzes everything, he's slowly coming around and accepting our dogs when he comes over. Come to find out though, he had something happen to him as a child and he's really not scared of them, it's more of a deeply embedded first reaction, where he freezes up and goes into a statue like state, eyes look like they're about to pop out of his head.

My Lab a chocolate one, back in his hay day loved kids and wouldn't hesitate to show them by jumping up on them and licking them, he's a little more mellow now, but I could see that being a problem in HD or Lowes.
                              "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
                              -- Johnny Carson

Comment

Working...