Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Michael Vick Indicted

Lead story on www.si.com

Unfortunately methinks he will play this season. The Falcons have no other options. They released whatshisname and don't have a good backup. Roger Goodell can't do much until (if) a conviction since this is a first offense. But sponsors will jump and I think he is gone from Atlanta after this season no matter how the legal stuff turns out.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Its amazing a guy like that makes so much money in such a public position, why in the world would he let himself be involved in such sordid business.
    He's compromised by association, even if he's not directly guilty.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Many of the sports figures, especially the bigger names, feel they are above the law. Unfortunately the courts often prove them right with repeated warnings, probation, suspended sentences, etc. for crimes that would put the average citizen in the pen for the first offence.

If convicted, I hope he is in front of a judge that doesn't care who he is, or what he can do with a football!
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• gwyneth
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2006
        • Bayfield Co., WI

In researching their book "Pros and Cons: The Criminals Who Play in the NFL", Jeff Benedict and Don Yager discovered that fully 25 percent of the players had been arrested for a violent felony (didn't include stuff like bouncing checks).

That was a decade ago, but things probably haven't changed much.

Comment

• Cheeky
          • Nov 2006
          • westchester cty, new york
          • Ridgid TS2400LS

The Ron Mexico thing was just dispicable, and now this.
          Pete

Comment

• Ed62
            The Full Monte
            • Oct 2006
            • NW Indiana
            • BT3K

As far as I'm concerned, any player of any sport, or any professional of any kind (as well as non-professionals) should get the maximun penalty if found guilty of animal cruelty. That just sickens me.

Ed
            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• messmaker
              Veteran Member
              • May 2004
              • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
              • Ridgid 2424

Originally posted by Ed62
              As far as I'm concerned, any player of any sport, or any professional of any kind (as well as non-professionals) should get the maximun penalty if found guilty of animal cruelty. That just sickens me.

Ed
              I totally agree.

**I have always been amazed with Michael Vick's athletic talent but it does not seem as if their familly is also graced with the ability to make good decisions. What a shame in several ways.
              spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                Its amazing a guy like that makes so much money in such a public position, why in the world would he let himself be involved in such sordid business.
                He's compromised by association, even if he's not directly guilty.
                Morning Loring..

To make a long story short short without "sugar coating"... he's been catered to since HS an is a very spoiled "punk" with a same scenario younger brother that fits the same criteria.

Given Arthur Blanks track record as co-owner of Home Depot when it actually catered too and considered the public's opinion of that operation, I seriously doubt that permanent employment will be allocated if convicted.

And even if not actually convicted, Vick has publicly smeared his nose. Blank has shown a penchant for creating not only a winning franchise but a family oriented organization after purchasing the Falcons. Blank is a very serious type guy and I suspect he won't personally cater to or tolerate "punks" in anything he is part of.. regardless of the short term cost.

Regards...

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

It's the same old problem with celebrities. They think their notoriety makes them eligible to live by a different set of rules than us mere peons. Unfortunately, society's treatment of such nonsense lends support to that notion. Dog fighting is a brutal and inhumane activity, and there is no way that Vick did not know it was going on on his property, regardless of whether he was an active participant. I think they should throw the book at him.

Comment

• gsmittle
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                    • BT 3100

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
                    To make a long story short short without "sugar coating"... he's been catered to since HS an is a very spoiled "punk" with a same scenario younger brother that fits the same criteria.
                    This does indeed occur. I had a guy two years ago who had the audacity to tell me "I'm a varsity football player. I can't get in trouble."

The next day when he wandered in late again, I gave him four hours of detention. Unfortunately, I don't know if he ever served it.

g.
                    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                    Bill & Ted

Comment

• Shipwreck
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Mar 2005

Poor Mike

Vick and his younger brother are both animals.

They should stick them both in a cage and let 4-5 Pit Bulls loose on them both. The world would be a better place.

Fighting any type of animal for amusement is horribly sick!

Comment

• gwyneth
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2006
                        • Bayfield Co., WI

The Atlanta paper has started to get comments and letters from people who sold their Home Depot stock in protest. I'm going to sell mine as soon as I can get onto e-trade.

This had already burst past being just a team issue to a league issue, and selling the stock is one of the few ways to say, whether legally innocent or guilty, I don't want to have anything to do with anybody who has anything to do with that person (Vick) and his relatives.

Comment

• TheRic
                          • Jun 2004
                          • West Central Ohio
                          • bt3100

Originally posted by gwyneth
                          The Atlanta paper has started to get comments and letters from people who sold their Home Depot stock in protest. I'm going to sell mine as soon as I can get onto e-trade.

This had already burst past being just a team issue to a league issue, and selling the stock is one of the few ways to say, whether legally innocent or guilty, I don't want to have anything to do with anybody who has anything to do with that person (Vick) and his relatives.
                          Where does Home Depot come into play? Is the stadium sponsored by them? Does he have a lot of stock in HD??
                          Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• gwyneth
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2006
                            • Bayfield Co., WI

Falcons owner Arthur Blank was one of the two founders of Home Depot, and though retired as chairman, still owns a great deal of Home Depot stock.

Comment

• newood2
                              • Aug 2004
                              • Brooklyn, NY.
                              • BT3100-1

Originally posted by gwyneth
                              I don't want to have anything to do with anybody who has anything to do with that person (Vick) and his relatives.
                              Firstly, I am an animal lover. Secondly, I do get very annoyed when I see helpless animals being mistreated by anyone, and if their is a law against such cruelty, the guilty person should pay the penalty.

But aren't we going a little overboard here. Should we put the hangman's rope to his father, mother, uncles, aunts and cousins. Many of us embrace the bloody and cruel duel between two men until one of them keeled over in a near unconscious state.We gave it license and called it the Sport of Boxing. Should the relatives of these promoters be the scorn of society. We watch the movie "The Gladiators" and called it a great movie. But it's the story of a time gone by when men were thrown in an arena and forced to fight to the death. Yet we glorified it by paying millions and taking the whole family to go see an entertaining movie. How should I feel about those who think this sad era of world history is entertaining. We take our kids to the Circus, but do we look at the history of the inhumane mistreatment of the animals.
                              I would never condone dog fighting, cock fighting, bull fighting, man fighting.
                              All I'm saying is, if these activities are deemed unlawful, then let the law have it's course. Let's not haul out all the relatives, then all of us would all have a little blood on our hands.

Howie

Comment

Working...