• blame
    Established Member
    • May 2007
    • Northern MO
    • delta ts-220 or something like that

What OS does everyone use?

just wonder how many people use linux?
    and how many people use window or ?

and what flavor of linux ( ie. PClinuxOS,gentoo,redhat,ubunto,slack,etc.........)

i've been using PClinuxOs2007 but also used Arch linux (which i think went to Ark linux or they using the ark name now )

anyway i really like it its easy as pie to install and get up and running but i did like 0.93a better then 2007

blame
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

On the road (parents, relatives, etc), I tend to use what OS is on the pc. Although I do keep at least one older bootable distro in the car.

At home, I have Suse 10.0, PcLinuxOS (older one, don't remember version), a bootable Ubuntu disc (hadn't had time to finish it's pc) and some other distros (also some older distro's), on some retired pc's that have been sitting around.

I finally installed XP on one pc two years ago, for one game, but either the video card, motherboard, or power supply has failed (haven't diagnosed it, so I don't play the game instead of getting stuff done).

I don't tend to upgrade to the latest and greatest, as I normally don't need it (or all pc's to have net access for that matter).
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• brecklundin
      Forum Newbie
      • May 2007

Still mostly on XP...have been fiddling with Ubuntu but nothing serious yet. I am stuck due to development contracts.

I have looked at moving to Mono and related solutions but naw...if I do switch it will be to Sun's stuff...since that is all free now too.

I'm too old and cranky to make the switch to Linux. Funny part was I still have one of the ORIGINAL Linux disks they were handing out at the '93 Comdex from the other side of a card table with a sheet over it...

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • IL, USA.
        • DELTA 36-675

2 XPsp2 Machines
        1 Vista
        Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• gerti
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
          • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

OS X for the desktops and Laptops, Linux (Ubuntu and Debian, maybe a FreeBSD box left) for the servers.

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Three OS X with one that runs XP. I have to upkeep others with XP and Vista.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

work : 4 Win2000Pro, 1 XP-Pro
              home: 2 Win 2000 Pro, 1 XP-Pro

all in regular use. I have some older ones with '98 still run but don't turn them on much lately.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

XP for me. I'm pretty much computer illiterate.

Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• scorrpio
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Home: 2 machines with XP Home, a laptop with XP Pro. No Vista for me for a while. I thought about trying out Ubuntu, but never got around to it, and it is not like I have problems with XP - it fulfills my needs just fine, gaming in particular.

At work, I am on a Sun, running Solaris.

Comment

• Tequila
                    • Aug 2004
                    • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

Windows 2000 on all the machines at work.
                    (3) Windows XP machines at home.
                    One unopened Windows Vista upgrade that came with my laptop at home. I expect that it will never be installed.
                    -Joe

Comment

• thrytis
                      • May 2004
                      • Concord, NC, USA.
                      • Delta Unisaw

Ubuntu. I started with Slackware but moved to Debian when that came out and have been a Debian fan for years. When i had to build a new computer last year after my old PC went flaky (the hardware), i decided to give Ubuntu a shot. I've been very impressed at how smooth it is to run and maintain and how much is done automatically yet still giving me control if i want. This is the first desktop PC i've done without dual boot, which made me very happy. My wife does have an XP PC for the times i do need windows, but that is becoming less frequent.
                      Eric

Comment

• Alex Franke
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2007
                        • Chapel Hill, NC
                        • Ryobi BT3100

XP at work.

Here I use XP, Kubuntu, and Ubuntu LAMP, and (believe it or not) Win98 on the computer in the kitchen.
                        online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                        while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                        "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• TheRic
                          • Jun 2004
                          • West Central Ohio
                          • bt3100

I have most of the PC's I us set up to boot up into multiple Windows OS's (98, NT, 2K, XP). Windows 2K is my favorite of all of them, followed by 98. I try to keep an extra virgin OS of each stored in a partition. Then when I want to try something I can just copy it over to a spare spot in minutes, verses installing a new OS. This way I don't have to worry about it corrupting something on my main partitions.

Here at work we use all Microsoft anywhere from 95 - Vista.
                          Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• DonHo
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2004
                            • Shawnee, OK, USA.
                            • Craftsman 21829

Well, my PC is set with a dual boot mode. Default is linux but have XP choice to run some software we already owned. We don't use the XP side very much, maybe 5 to 10% of the time.
                            DonHo
                            Don

Comment

• crokett
                              The Full Monte
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Mebane, NC, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3000

XP Pro at work and XP Media Center at home. Need XP at work for some of the software we use. Thinking of switching home to Ubuntu but need to do some serious testing first. While Linux is getting better there are still a few things that didn't/couldn't work on the hardware I had. Latest is whether I can get a webcam running.
                              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...