• Show
Clear All
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Displaying the Stars and Stripes

I just noticed TuttleJr's post about flag day and was prompted to ask how you feel about the condition of the flags that fly in your community?

I have great respect for the "Stars and Stripes" and it bothers me quite a bit when I see torn and faded flags flying in our community. I also hate to see them flying, unlighted in dark of night and seeing them hanging limp in the rain. It just seems so irreverent!

I know that Congress changed the flag laws serveral years ago to allow a less cherished display of Old Glory, and I understand that; but at what point do we let the tattered remains of a pink, yellowed, and gray flag remain on a building without speaking up for its dignity.

It seems to me that since the law was changed, some treat it like it was just a piece of colored cloth that you stick on a pole and let it hang 24/7/365 or until the weather finally rips it away in the wind.

Another pet peeve I have is that in our community we often see a flag at "half-staff" because a local club member or official has passed away. This is SOP with the local volunteer fire dept. While I have great respect for the sentiments expressed for someone's loss, the flag of the United States of America isn't supposed to be posted at half staff except on national order, is it?

Perhaps I make too much of this. I am interested in anyone's opinion on this.

Thanks,

CWS
    Last edited by cwsmith; 06-17-2007, 06:54 PM. Reason: spelling error
    Think it Through Before You Do!
  • gary
    • May 2004
    • Versailles, KY, USA.

Originally posted by cwsmith
    the flag of the United States of America isn't supposed to be posted at half staff except on national order, is it?
    I know govenors can order it too .... Here is our state site for the status of the flag..... http://governor.ky.gov/flag-status.htm
    Gary

Comment

• Anna
      • Feb 2006
      • CA, USA.
      • BT3100

We recently had some hullabaloo in our town over someone flying a HUGE flag (20 ft by 30 ft) on a 45-foot flagpole on private property. City council wanted to ban it because someone complained about the aesthetics (she can't look at the pretty hills without seeing the flag! - and no, it wasn't me ). The multiculturalists came out of the woodwork, arguing that ALL flags should be equally important (by law, they're not). The patriots and veterans were incensed that someone even wanted to ban Old Glory! And the, uh, unmentionables were arguing how "ugly" the hills have started to look and how offensive the flag was to them (you know, symbol of imperialism and all that).

The whole town was divided, and the hearings went on forever. After the story was featured on Fox News, however, the city council bowed out and refused to ban the flag. I'm betting they got inundated with phone calls and letters from all over the country, lecturing them about patriotism, etc.

And the flag? Still flying up on the hill where everyone can see her in all her majestic glory.

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

That's one of my pet peeves too. Not only are private citizens displaying the flag in a less than deserving manner, but I've also seen libraries and other government controlled institutions flying them in more or less, the same manner.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Hellrazor
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Abyss, PA
          • Ridgid R4512

We get our flags at work from the local Legion for free. They want us to fly them 24/7/365 and they get cranky when we don't because they are supplying them to us for free. Some of our flag poles have backlighting and some do not. They also get cranky when heavy winds rip the flag on a weekend and we don't change the flag until monday.

I had someone get annoyed with me for running the flag at half on every Columbine anniversary. I basicly told them to run along and play in traffic.

Every school, fire company, legion, etc fly their flags at half out of respect for an employee, member, etc passing. Its their flag, their flag pole and their time. If we only are allowed to fly the flag at half for politicians, I'm not flying a flag. I'm not getting any further into this since it will become political....

Comment

• paintandbodtman
            Banned
            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Anna
            We recently had some hullabaloo in our town over someone flying a HUGE flag (20 ft by 30 ft) on a 45-foot flagpole on private property. City council wanted to ban it because someone complained about the aesthetics (she can't look at the pretty hills without seeing the flag! - and no, it wasn't me ). The multiculturalists came out of the woodwork, arguing that ALL flags should be equally important (by law, they're not). The patriots and veterans were incensed that someone even wanted to ban Old Glory! And the, uh, unmentionables were arguing how "ugly" the hills have started to look and how offensive the flag was to them (you know, symbol of imperialism and all that).

The whole town was divided, and the hearings went on forever. After the story was featured on Fox News, however, the city council bowed out and refused to ban the flag. I'm betting they got inundated with phone calls and letters from all over the country, lecturing them about patriotism, etc.

And the flag? Still flying up on the hill where everyone can see her in all her majestic glory.
            there is a flag size to pole height ratio, don't remember what it is but any veterans organization could probably provide it.

Wayne

Comment

• ragswl4
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Winchester, Ca
              • C-Man 22114

My 81 year old mother puts the flag out every morning and takes it in every night. When it gets torn or extemely soiled she burns it (yes, that's what you are supposed to do) and gets a new one. She said she doesn't think we need a special day to fly the flag cause every day is special and its her flag and she'll fly it when she wants to. She lost her youngest brother two months before the end of WWII and I think she does it to honor him.

I put mine out on special days and would only put it at half mast by Federal Gov't decree. Thats just me, I don't have a great concern about it if someone is honoring the passing of someone. Probably falls under freedom of speech anyway. Got bigger fish to fry.
              RAGS
              Raggy and Me in San Felipe
              sigpic

Comment

• billwmeyer
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Weir, Ks, USA.
                • BT3000

I have a flag on a pole in front of my house, and I have had it there for maybe 15 years. I have lighing on it, but it is a little dim. There is no way that I could take it down everytime it rains (especially lately, since we have had about 13 or more inches of rain in the last few weeks.)

I try and replace the flag as soon as it starts to rip and fade. I have a new flag about 3' away from me right now, and will replace it when the next storm system passes through.

As far as flying it at half mast, I always do it when the president orders it, and usually when others do, but not always. On 9-11, my flag went to half mast immediately.

I agree with your gripes in the most part. I fly my flag because I am proud of my country. As far as those who don't treat the flag as it should be, I at least try to give them credit for wanting to be patriotic.
                Bill
                "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

I'm very sentimental about our flag. It's known world wide, with a great historical background. I agree that the care, and abuse that it receives is fairly widespread. I can't really comment on seeing a bunch of the little ones stuck to the antennas on used car lots.

Comment

• docrowan
                    • Mar 2007
                    • New Albany, MS
                    • BT3100

Never having been in either the military or the boy scouts, I was not taught any of the flag etiquette, but I've read enough to know it should be lit or taken in every night. I wasn't aware of the need to take it in for rain. That would be difficult if you were at work when the storm came up.

I found the old flag at my office wadded up and shoved in a bin after they replaced it. I grabbed one of the guys and had him help me fold it properly. I was rather proud that I knew how to fold it up since I'd never actually done it before. I gave it to my grandfather-in-law, who is a member of our local American Legion, for them to burn.

We have a lot of car lots that use flags for decoration, I don't know why they can't just use red white and blue bunting, like they did for years.
                    - Chris.

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

When I see a flag in poor condition, expecially at a business, I try to make someone aware of it. Most times it is replaced or removed in short order.

I have a low end type pole but have not flown a flag is some time. I want to get rid of the current pole and replace it with 2 aluminum poles with proper balls and trucks. The US and state flag will then fly together except on 10 Nov when the Marine Colors will replace the state flag.
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

• LJR
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2005

At our business the flags are my responsibility. They're all lit so they fly all the time. I am guilty of letting a flag fly too long in poor shape. We do keep a new U.S. flag in stock so there's no wait to replace it when it's time but the state flags or corporate flags may take a while to order and get replaced. Each flag of the size we fly is about eighty dollars so not a lot of money but not something we're going to do every week either.

We fly the U.S. flag at half staff when the U.S. president announces. I've been asked to fly the flag at half staff by the corporate offices to show respect for other people or events and have refused to do so. Our CEO knows how I feel about that flag and shares that feeling so those "unauthorized" requests to lower the flag get ignored.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                          • One of them there Toy saws

I know the etiquette as I was part of the color guard/Memorial Detail while in the Navy. Memorial Detail was quite literally the most difficult thing I think I've ever done in my life. Maintaining Decorum and composure while a grieving family whispers "thank you" in your ear.

I'm tolerant of people that don't follow the etiquette to the letter. Their intentions are usually good and most of the time the oversite is simply because they don't know. IF you can approach them the right way, the information is usually well received and they will try to make the display better.

For my own flag, I do not always follow the Fed Gov. on when it's to be at half mast. Memorial Day and Veterans Day. Certain other military anniversaries. But I do not lower it for ever excuse they give. Men and Women in uniform die nearly every day. If they are not deserving of having it lowered in their honor by the Government, then the other reasons they give are moot. (And that's all I'll say on it)

Another Pet Peeve I have is Arlington Cemetary. From what I've been reading the, The requirements have been relaxed to the point where nearly anyone with even a passing connection to the military can be placed there. Sad. It was once an honor to be placed there.
                          Mike
                          Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• prlundberg
                            Established Member
                            • May 2006
                            • Minnesota
                            • Craftsman 21829

I was educated on flag ettiquette as a Boy Scout. I just have a small flag that goes on the porch during holidays and such, but I still follow the basics when displaying it.

Phil
                            Phil

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

The Flag at half staff is a Statement that the whole country is paying its respect to someone for service to the country. As such the direction of the President is correctly required for it to be so flown. There are basic directives of length of time for certain key government officials (e.g. a sitting president's death gets 30 days but the Veep or Supreme court justice only gets like 10 days). The president may also order it so flown for heads of other sovereign states (e.g. countries) if he deems their importance to the US high, for example the pope or the Queen of England might get a few days. IT's more supposed to be, I think, a symbol of respect than of mourning - something that most people take it to be.

As sorry and as repectful as I was for the victims at Columbine and VTech, I question whether they died in service to their country. For 9/11 though they died not in service to their country, they died because they were targeted as part of the country - a gray area that of course the President decided was appropriate for flying the flag at half mast. For those servicemen that fight and die in the service of their country, they do get the flag at half staff Memorial Day, as inadequate a tribute that may seem, it is something.

State governors are given authority to fly US flags at half mast in their state's government buildings with the death of state's US senators and other key officials.

The flying of a flag at half mast at the president's directive applies to federal office buildings and facilities but of course, most all businesses and individuals follow along.

I fly a 3x5 flag frequently on the 18' pole in front of my house, although its not spotlighted there's a street light directly opposite on the other side of the street, so sometimes its up 24/7. And it's very difficult to pull it down when a sudden thunderstorm comes up as it does here, especially if i'm at the office or out.
                              Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-18-2007, 12:54 PM.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...