• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

What Glue for Plastic

Was trying to ohm out my generator but multimeter did not work. It is a very good one that belonged to my grandfather so I want to save it. I opened it and discovered that one of the plastic posts that holds the battery in cracked off. I was thinking superglue but I think I would need almost a solvent glue for the repair to hold - the battery is a very snug fit when inserted.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by crokett
    Was trying to ohm out my generator but multimeter did not work. It is a very good one that belonged to my grandfather so I want to save it. I opened it and discovered that one of the plastic posts that holds the battery in cracked off. I was thinking superglue but I think I would need almost a solvent glue for the repair to hold - the battery is a very snug fit when inserted.

www.thistothat.com is always recommended fo glues

I would use a solvent glue like Duco cement.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• eezlock
      • Feb 2006
      • Charlotte,N.C.
      • BT3100

glue?

You might want to try a good 2 part epoxy ( comes in two tubes) this stuff
      really holds good on most materials that I have used it on in the past.

Comment

• mpc
        • Feb 2005
        • Cypress, CA, USA.
        • BT3000 orig 13amp model

I've had really good luck with a little 2-part glue called "Plastix" or something like that. I've seen it at Home Depot and auto parts stores. It comes on a cardboard + plastic pack hanging-on-the-display-hook pack like regular superglue and whatnot. There is a small glass jar with a dinky brush in the lid, and a squeeze tube. You brush the jar liquid onto the two parts to be joined, let them air dry for 30 seconds or so (? I think... it's been a while) and then squeeze on a bit of the real glue. Press together, hold another 30 seconds or so, and that's it.

Dad used this stuff on one of the plastic hinge nubs of his Chevy pickup's glove box door. 6 or 7 years so far... with mom slamming the thing shut - which is what broke it in the first place 10 years ago.

I've also had good luck with 2-part epoxy from Home Depot that had "plastic" listed in the things it'd glue. It's just a lot messier than Plastix.

mpc

Comment

• Thom2
          Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
          • Jan 2003
          • Stevens, PA, USA.
          • Craftsman 22124

Permatex part # 82565, Dr. Bond Plastic Bonder .... I believe this is a new label for the Plastix product that mpc referenced.
          If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
          **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

The solvent adhesive I use for acrylics, lexan, pet G etc doesn't work on all plastics. The above suggestions are good ones. Plastics can really vary in make up, so unless you know the exact type, it's best to use something specific to plastics. IE epoxy and other formulas for plastics. Bakelite, phenolics etc can present some trouble even when the glue is for plastics. Any one adhesive can sometimes be a crap shoot and you may have to try more than once to get one that works as it should.
            I usually keep two or three different kinds of epoxy on hand as well as other type glues. Goop, weather stripping cement, good old model airplane glue, gorilla glue, liquid nails etc... If I need to adhere something, I don't usually have to run out and get it.
            LOML always presents me with some oddball things to repair. I have a good track record with those things.
            Lee

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Some of the "super glues", "Krazy Glues", and some epoxies, will not work on all plastics. On some I found one called "Plastic Surgery" that worked on a type of plastic. Gluing a little post at the base that takes a lot of pressure is asking for a miracle..

Make sure you have a perfect fit when gluing. If your first few attempts fail, it's likely the fitting pieces will lose their matched fit.

Comment

• thiggy
                Established Member
                • Sep 2003
                • Alabama.
                • Craftsman Contractor

Old electrical devices were usually made of Bakelite. I imagine that either a CA glue or epoxy would be most appropriate for this application.
                SOW YOUR WILD OATS ON SATURDAY NIGHT - - - THEN ON SUNDAY PRAY FOR CROP FAILURE!

Comment

• rja
                  Established Member
                  • Jul 2004
                  • New Kensington, Pennsylvania, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

Try JBWeld

Comment

• crokett
                    The Full Monte
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Mebane, NC, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by rja
                    Try JBWeld
                    Got some today. Still not sure how it happened. Used it a few weeks ago and it was fine. Its been in its box ever since. I sure hope I can fix it. In my early teens Grandpa taught me how to use it while we improved some of my electrical toys. My favorite was when we hopped up the ignition system for my model rockets.
                    Last edited by crokett; 06-06-2007, 11:25 AM.
                    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...