• Show
Clear All
  • steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

Walk on Water?

Anchorage is currently running a rerun of TOH - one of the Boston pieces. Its the one where Kevin visits the waterfront and goes out in a sailboat with kids learning to sail.

Everyone in the boat, except Kevin, is wearing a PFD (personal flotation device) and he was even handed one but refused to put it on.

Bad example! Bad for the sailing students and bad for anyone watching the show. As far as I know only One Person has ever been known to walk on water and He is not on the TOH show.

Then, again, maybe I'm wrong. Won't be the first time.

Regards, Steve
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

I'm no sailor but I agree that not wearing available safety devices is a bad example, especially on a show that features demonstrations.

In college, I was required to take a course called Drownproofing. Georgia Tech had developed the course during WW II for young men going off to war. It basically teaches you how to survive if you have to abandon a troop ship at sea. Very practical things like how to use your trousers for flotation, how to swim if your arms and or legs are injured or if you're wearing heavy boots. I don't know if they still teach the course, but if you like the water, something like this is well worth the time and effort. Although I was a water rat growing up right on the beach, it wasn't until I took this course that I went off a high dive.

Comment

• JoeyGee
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
      • BT3100-1

IIRC, Steve is a lifelong sailor, having made at least one career on some sort of sailing vessel before TOH. IMHO, this makes it even more important to set the example that floatation devices are mandatory while on a boat. I don't like wearing them, but I don't like the thought of sinking to the bottom of a sea, either.

Now that I think of it, I don't remember if he and Norm wore any when they took out the newly-built NYW fleet of sailboats.
      Joe

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

I seem to remember Norm making a point of wearing the vest, after he built the boat.

However what was the cargo, in the boat that Steve was on? Cornstarch?

In other words, here are some other people who have walked on water:
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Hoover
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • USA.

Originally posted by steve-norrell
          As far as I know only One Person has ever been known to walk on water and He is not on the TOH show.

Regards, Steve
          You don't mean Bob Vila, do you?
          No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• gerti
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
            • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Originally posted by JoeyGee
            IIRC, Steve is a lifelong sailor, having made at least one career on some sort of sailing vessel before TOH.
            Steve yes, but not Kevin AFAIK.

Comment

• JoeyGee
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • Sylvania, OH, USA.
              • BT3100-1

Sorry, I guess I just wanted to take a shot at Steve...not that I'm too crazy about Kevin. Or Bob, for that matter...
              Joe

Comment

• twistsol
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

When I had kids, I suddenly started wearing my bicycle helmet and my life jacket. Never even crossed my mind before that.

And a slight correction, in Minnesota, not only can we walk on water half the year, we drive on it.
                Chr's

Comment

• steve-norrell
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • The Great Land - Alaska
                  • BT3100-1

Originally posted by twistsol
                  And a slight correction, in Minnesota, not only can we walk on water half the year, we drive on it.
                  Here also! And, studded tires are legal about nine months of the year.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• Tom Slick
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2005
                    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                    • sears BT3 clone

I noticed the same thing about the vest. I figured that he would have put it on during a "cut" between getting on the boat and going across the water, but he never did.
                    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Working...