• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mrs. Wallnut
    Bandsaw Box Momma
    • Apr 2005
    • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

A Proud Night for Us..

Well I am a little bit late sharing this with everyone but I have been busy since last week.

Last friday night our oldest son Richard "graduated" from Cub Scouts and is now officially a Boy Scout. He was very proud of this and so was his father who also did the Arrow of Light ceremony for the boys moving up.

Mark was the Cub master of the group this year and did a great job in picking out the ceremony and also presenting it. The pictures in the link below you can see that his dad is handing him an arrow and in the other pictures you will see Richard and I together, and then the other pictures are of the whole group moving on.

(And if you look real close at the arrows, Mark also hand made those for the boys. And did an awesome job on it IMO)
    http://bt3gallery.fhauto.com/view_ph...51&id=DSC02222

I hope that you all enjoy the pictures.

(sorry to those who couldn't get to the pictures I had linked here. Mark just called and pointed out that I needed to fix it.)
    Last edited by Mrs. Wallnut; 05-24-2007, 01:34 PM. Reason: had to fix the link
    Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Man, did that bring back memories! Congrats to everyone. Thanks for the post.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

brings back memories to me, too. What happened to all those guys who were "not worthy?"

When my son had his arrow of light ceremony, there was a drought - campfires were not allowed.
      that kind of dampened the whole weekend but we managed to have a good time.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

Pretty cool!

Whatever happened to Webelos?

JR
        JR

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by JR
          Pretty cool!

Whatever happened to Webelos?

JR
          Still part of the Cub Scout program! Webelos is a transitional rank but always have been part of a Pack, at least for as long back as I can remember. The Pack is a Cub Scout Unit. Boy Scout units are called Troops and have never, again for as long as I can remember, contained the Webelos program. The Scouting program is in a stage of regrowth after a decline in the late 80's and 90's. Once again the outdoor expierence is becomming a main part of the program, which IMHO I believe it was starting to take a less important roll in the mid to late 70's.
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            brings back memories to me, too. What happened to all those guys who were "not worthy?"

When my son had his arrow of light ceremony, there was a drought - campfires were not allowed.
            that kind of dampened the whole weekend but we managed to have a good time.
            Most all are "worthy" these days. Even though I have mixed feelings about it, most successful units program around and based on advancement so that advancement attainment is natural given participation.

©

Comment

• Ken Massingale
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Liberty, SC, USA.
              • Ridgid TS3650

Very cool, thanks for posting the pics. Scouting was one of the activities I didn't have an opportunity to participate in, and I still regret it.

Comment

• JR
                The Full Monte
                • Feb 2004
                • Eugene, OR
                • BT3000

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                Webelos is a transitional rank but always have been part of a Pack...
                Oh, I get it. I had it in my mind as a sort of third component of BSA.

I remember going on my first campout, which was in Webelos. It was pretty cheesy - we might have been in somebody's back yard. But we learned to set up tents, cook on a fire, etc. Anyway, I learned about 100 slightly-racy juvenile jokes in the tent that night. Some of them are still a part of my repetoire today!

JR
                JR

Comment

• backpacker85
                  Established Member
                  • Sep 2006
                  • Dickson, TN
                  • BT3100-1

Pass on my congratulations to Richard (and also congrats to both of you, who I'm sure were the "motivators" for several years).

The pics were great, and brought back memories of not only mine, but the ones I held as a Weblos leader. Now the BIG question.....has he picked a Troop & crossed over? If it's a good one, his/your adventures are just beginning. After six years as a Scoutmaster for a Troop with up to 60 scouts, I can assure you that the memories are just beginning.

Do I sense a new SM or ASM in the making Mark? Keep in mind what they told me many years ago: "...after all, it's ONLY AN HOUR A WEEK..."
                  Ken W.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                    cycling to health
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                    • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by backpacker85
                    Pass on my congratulations to Richard (and also congrats to both of you, who I'm sure were the "motivators" for several years).

The pics were great, and brought back memories of not only mine, but the ones I held as a Weblos leader. Now the BIG question.....has he picked a Troop & crossed over? If it's a good one, his/your adventures are just beginning. After six years as a Scoutmaster for a Troop with up to 60 scouts, I can assure you that the memories are just beginning.

Do I sense a new SM or ASM in the making Mark? Keep in mind what they told me many years ago: "...after all, it's ONLY AN HOUR A WEEK..."
                    Yes we have found a Troop and he has already attended his first meeting. Once I became a leader Richard's interest skyrocketed. at this point he is hooked for life. Hopefully he gets as much enjoyment, growth, and learning out of the program as I did as a youth. The focus is on him and his fellow Scouts as it should be.....I am just a shadow in the background.

The Troop also has added me to their committe. The Council's lodge has recruited me to be a Chapter adviser and we have an upcomming Ordeal on June 1. The Lodge Advisor has asked me to help out the ceremony team prepare. I'm thinking that once all in the Troop discover my knowledge and exp. that I will soon become an ASM and perhaps someday take over as SM. Mixed feelings in this do I have. Our youngest will be starting Tiger Cubs in about 5 years if my math is correct so at that time I will most likely shift my focus back to Cubs and start the process over. As I've told several I'll be an active leader in the council for many years to come. After a 19 year break it is nice to be back in Scouting.

©

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

Does bring back memories. Served as Pack Committee chairman and 'crossed over' with my oldest as an Assitant Soutmaster. Proudest day was the youngest son's Eagle Court!
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

• backpacker85
                        Established Member
                        • Sep 2006
                        • Dickson, TN
                        • BT3100-1

Sounds like a familiar story, Mark....another parent that just can't say "no".

Twelve years as a scout and another twelve as a leader, and I wouldn't trade a minute of it away (well, OK, maybe a few, but even those are good memories). I turned over the Troop a year ago, still involved at the District & Council levels, but can't believe how much I miss it. Maybe it's time to get back into it.....
                        Ken W.

Comment

• bigstick509
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2004
                          • Macomb, MI, USA.
                          • BT3100

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• big tim
                            • Mar 2006
                            • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
                            • SawStop PCS

Congratulations to Richard and the proud parents of course.
                            Now that brings back memories. I was a boyscout in Holland in the early forties during WW2. I was lucky enough to attend the first world jamboree after the war which was held in 1946 if I remember correctly, near Paris.
                            What an adventure.

Tim
                            Last edited by big tim; 05-24-2007, 09:59 PM.
                            Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• TheRic
                              • Jun 2004
                              • West Central Ohio
                              • bt3100

Congratulations Richard!!!! Hope you enjoy Boy Scouts as much as I did.

Oh yea, congratulations to the parents also!
                              Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

Working...