• Show
Clear All
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Bracelets for me?

Place your bets. I was contacted by someone who said they were from the Illinois General Attorney's office (I live in Indiana), and he was an inspector. My name came up in their information concerning a threat. They wanted to come to my house for an interview. The guy gave me his name. I asked for a phone number so I could call him back. He gave it to me, and I called, asking for him. Same story. He wants to interview me. So I made an appointment for Thursday at 11 A.M.

But I wasn't really satisfied this wasn't some kind of scam, so I tried a reverse search for the phone number. It was not listed. Then I called the local Sheriff Department to ask if they could check out the number. The detective told me he would check it out, then call me back. Within 5 minutes he called, saying the number was legitimate, and I would be interviewed by an inspector. So place your bets. Will I be wearing a pair of bracelets on Thursday?

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I got dibs on your clamps.

Larry

Comment

• Hellrazor
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Abyss, PA
      • Ridgid R4512

You look good in stripes...

Comment

• Russianwolf
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
        • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by Ed62
        Place your bets. I was contacted by someone who said they were from the Illinois General Attorney's office (I live in Indiana), and he was an inspector. My name came up in their information concerning a threat. They wanted to come to my house for an interview. The guy gave me his name. I asked for a phone number so I could call him back. He gave it to me, and I called, asking for him. Same story. He wants to interview me. So I made an appointment for Thursday at 11 A.M.

But I wasn't really satisfied this wasn't some kind of scam, so I tried a reverse search for the phone number. It was not listed. Then I called the local Sheriff Department to ask if they could check out the number. The detective told me he would check it out, then call me back. Within 5 minutes he called, saying the number was legitimate, and I would be interviewed by an inspector. So place your bets. Will I be wearing a pair of bracelets on Thursday?

Ed
        "No, but we can meet at my attorney's office"
        Mike
        Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Ed,

What Mike said. Call the inspector back and tell him to meet you at your attorney's office.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Ed62
            The Full Monte
            • Oct 2006
            • NW Indiana
            • BT3K

Originally posted by crokett
            Ed,

What Mike said. Call the inspector back and tell him to meet you at your attorney's office.
            I'm too cheap for that. I'd rather do the time.

Ed
            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Then I'd insist on recording your conversation with him. I'm just sayin.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cgallery
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2004
                • Milwaukee, WI
                • BT3K

Didn't you ask him what he wanted to interview you about? "Threat" is pretty vague.
                Last edited by cgallery; 05-08-2007, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• TheRic
                  • Jun 2004
                  • West Central Ohio
                  • bt3100

Darn it, Larry beat me to it!! I'll take any of your other tools that you won't be using in prison.

On the serious side I think having an attorney present is not a bad idea. Defiantly might be worth it. Might want to consider having a tape recorder ready. Also make sure you can stop the interview at any time to have an attorney present if the questioning gets uncomfortable.

The only down side I would see to having an attorney present is that they would wonder why you think you need one and ask more questions and do more digging.

I'll have to say that if you have done nothing wrong, then you don't have that much to worry about. (Yea, I know it happened to so and so). They might not be checking on you but someone you know, or maybe you happened to be someplace at a certain time and they want to see what you might have heard / seen.
                  Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

It's probably from some remark you made on this forum. You know, things get twisted in cyberspace. Coulda been something in your "Keep It Going". The crazy cat that smoked, or the blond. In any case, we'll come visit you. Hey, the upside might be that the prison has a complete woodshop.

Comment

• cgallery
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2004
                      • Milwaukee, WI
                      • BT3K

Originally posted by cabinetman
                      Hey, the upside might be that the prison has a complete woodshop.
                      Yeah, but you gotta be careful talking to other inmates. Mentioning that you're going use a "penetrating rubbing oil" to finish a project may result in unintended consequences.

Comment

• cabinetman
                        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

Originally posted by cgallery
                        Yeah, but you gotta be careful talking to other inmates. Mentioning that you're going use a "penetrating rubbing oil" to finish a project may result in unintended consequences.
                        I guess that would also apply to "plunge" routing, "pilot holes", "squeeze out", "dovetail", and "miter slot".

Comment

• BrazosJake
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2003
                          • Benbrook, TX.
                          • Emerson-built Craftsman

Originally posted by cabinetman
                          It's probably from some remark you made on this forum.
                          Then I guess we can all expect a visit from Homeland Security.

It's that handle, "Russianwolf". I bet he's even got a commie flag hangin in his garage!

Comment

• final_t
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2003

Originally posted by TheRic
                            The only down side I would see to having an attorney present is that they would wonder why you think you need one and ask more questions and do more digging.
                            No true. Always have an attorney when dealing with law enforcement, * especially * if you've done nothing wrong - otherwise, you're giving them clear run to go fishing. The junk you see on TV about "it will go easier without one" is bunk, and they just want to clear a case in real life.

Originally posted by TheRic
                            I'll have to say that if you have done nothing wrong, then you don't have that much to worry about. (Yea, I know it happened to so and so). They might not be checking on you but someone you know, or maybe you happened to be someplace at a certain time and they want to see what you might have heard / seen.
                            See above. If you can't afford a mouthpiece, then we can take up a collection.

If you don't have an attorney present, then do NOT sign anything if they ask you to, and the FIRST question that even remotely seems "funny", stop the interview and state that you feel it would be better if this was continued at your lawyer's office.

Comment

• MilDoc

Could be a case of mistaken identity, and no one ever gets jail time for that ....

Comment

Working...