Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Is WD-40 Dangerous To Use?

Subject: WD-40

When you read the "shower door" part, try it. It's the first thing that has cleaned that spotty shower door. If yours is plastic, it works just as well as glass. It's a miracle!

Then try it on your stovetop... Viola! It's now shinier than it's ever been. You'll be amazed.

The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a "Water Displacement" compound. They were successful with the Fortieth formulation, thus WD-40.

The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to protect their Atlas missile parts. The workers were so pleased with the product they began smuggling (also known as "shrinkage" or "stealing") it out to use at home.

The executives decided there might be a consumer market for it and put it in aerosol cans. The rest is history. It is a carefully guarded recipe known only to four people. One of them is the "brew master." There are about 2.5 million gallons of the stuff manufactured each year. It gets its distinctive
    smell from a fragrance that is added to the brew. Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you.

Here are a few of the 1000s of uses: a.. ~Protects silver from tarnishing b.. ~Cleans and lubricates guitar strings c.. ~Gets oil spots off concrete driveways d.. ~Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making it slippery e.. ~Keeps flies off cows f.. ~Restores and cleans chalkboards g.. ~Removes lipstick stains h.. ~Loosens stubborn zippers i.. ~Untangles jewelry chains j.. ~Removes stains from stainless steel sinks k.. ~Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill l.. ~Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing m.. ~Removes tomato stains from clothing n.. ~Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots o.. ~Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors p.. ~Keeps scissors working smoothly q..~Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes r.. ~Gives a children's play gym slide a shine for a super fast slide s.. ~Lubricates gear shift and mower - deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers t.. ~Rids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises u.. ~Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open v.. ~Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close w.. ~Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards and vinyl bumpers x.. ~Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles ~Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans y.. ~Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons and bicycles for easy handling z.. ~Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly aa.. ~Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools ab.. ~Removes splattered grease on stove ac.. ~Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging ad.. ~Lubricates prosthetic limbs ae.. ~Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell) af.. ~Removes all traces of duct tape ag.. ~I have even heard of folks spraying it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain.

ah..~Florida's favorite use was "cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers ai.. ~The favorite use in the state of New York -- WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements. aj.. ~WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a LITTLE on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time. It's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some states. ak.. ~Keeps away chiggers on the kids al.. ~Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately, and stops the itch. am.. ~WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag. an.. ~Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and re-wash. Presto! Lipstick is gone!

ao..~If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start. (If I knew what a distributor cap was, it might help) ap.. ~WD-40, long known for its ability to remove leftover tape smudges (sticky label tape), is also a lovely perfume and air freshener! Sprayed liberally on every hinge in the house, it leaves that distinctive clean fresh scent for up to two days! aq.. ~Seriously though, it removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor!

Use WD-40 for those nasty tar and scuff marks on flooring. It doesn't seem to harm the finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off. Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks. ar.. ~Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly! Use WD-40! as.. at.. Now go and use your WD-40.............on all the above.
  • MilDoc

WD-40 MSDS Data

Symptoms of Overexposure
    Inhalation (Breathing): May cause anesthesia, headache, dizziness, nausea and upper respiratory irritation.
    Skin contact: May cause drying of skin and/or irritation.
    Eye contact: May cause irritation, tearing and redness.
    Ingestion (Swallowed): May caused irritation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

DANGER!
    Aspiration Hazard: If swallowed, can enter lungs and may cause chemical pneumonitis.
    Do not induce vomiting. Call Physician immediately.

Comment

• cabinetman
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by MilDoc
      Ingestion (Swallowed): May caused irritation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

DANGER!
      Aspiration Hazard: If swallowed, can enter lungs and may cause chemical pneumonitis.
      Does swallowing the can fall into these warnings?

Comment

• Alex Franke
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2007
        • Chapel Hill, NC
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
        The favorite use in the state of New York -- WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements
        I'd love to see the size of the can they use for this!
        online at http://www.theFrankes.com
        while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
        "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• MilDoc

Does swallowing the can fall into these warnings?
          Only if you're a goat.

Comment

• cabinetman
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

It's common knowledge that goats can't read warning labels.

Comment

• calec
              Forum Newbie
              • Mar 2007
              • Elkhart, IN
              • Craftsman 10" belt drive Model 113.298762

WD-40 Shines Countertops

An engineer at a radio station where I worked used WD-40 to clean/polish formica counter tops in the studios. Until then I'd never heard of that use.

Comment

• Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

Can't wait till someone starts a thread on the many uses of duct tape.

Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                  • BT3100

hello everyone!

DONT TRY WHAT I AM GOING TO SAY. i know someone who use to use wd-40 on sprains and for shoulder/neck pains! he claimed that it help, God know if it did. i would never try it, its dangerous.

has anyone else know or heard of a someone who used it for this?

happy posting!

Comment

• movnup
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2006
                    • Seattle
                    • BT3000

I tried this for grins on my stainless steel island stove and it looks brand new. In the masterbath (and all our cabinets) they are white oak and I was going to buy the Varythane varnish to recoat them today as the finish was starting to look rough. I said what the **** I can't hurt them any worse and they don't even look like the same cabinets / finish anymore!!! I ended up using this on every oak cabinet in my house and also my hardwood floors in the main entrance, hallway, and the kitchen for a grand total of $4 bucks.

I had all three bathroom fans on and also the one in the kitchen plus doors open and as I write this there are no fumes left. The sheen is like a satin and it has made my woodwork look brand new!!!!

What's in the stuff ???? I'm sure I'll be laughed at loud and long out in cyberworld but never in my wildest dreams did I think something I used on rusty bolts would give these kind of instant gratification results. It sure was a lot easier to wipe on with one towel and wipe off with a second than brushing varnish thats for sure.

Thank you Cabinetman !!!

Comment

• mater
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • SC, USA.

Which reminds me I have a squeaky hinge that needs some WD-40.
                      Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• thestinker
                        • Oct 2005
                        • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

I might need to give that stuff a try, and see what it can do around the casa.
                        Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• BrazosJake
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2003
                          • Benbrook, TX.
                          • Emerson-built Craftsman

Originally posted by Ed62
                          Can't wait till someone starts a thread on the many uses of duct tape.

Ed
                          You know the saying: If it should move and doesn't use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

The only two tools a man needs:-)

Comment

• jussi
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007

Subject: WD-40

].. ~Keeps flies off cows
                            This one was funny. I can imagine a farmer explaining why is cow smells like that.
                            I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• lcm1947
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 2004
                              • Austin, Texas
                              • BT 3100-1

Here's a first hand experience. I was going to have to buy two new headlight covers on one of my Toyota's when a friend of mine recommended that I use WD40 on them. The headlight covers were getting cloudy and I was afraid a cop might pull me over or worst cause an accident. Anyway I kind of ignored him but the next time he came over he asked me how the WD40 trick worked. Well I confessed that I haven't gotten around to it but was going to try it. Of course he understand that I thought he was full of it so he pressed me into getting my WD40 out right then and there and he pulled the covers off and started polishing them with the oil. Well believe it or not I didn't have to buy new ones. The WD40 cleared them up enough that I felt I could get away with not replacing them. Now it didn't make them like new but I'm still using them and it's been about 2 years ago. The other thing is he told me to polish them a few more times and they would even get clearer course I didn't but no telling how much clearer they'd gotten had I continued. Anyway that's my first hand experience so yeah pretty much if you have WD40 and duct tape you are set.
                              May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

Working...