• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Got This In The Mail Today

I called the number and waited for a "customer service representative" to ask what the surcharge is to be used for. Well, the answer was not that it was to create more water or anything like that. The first response to the question was to sidetrack the question and just repeat what was on the card.

Then after the same question again, the response was to go to the commission meetings to find out what's going on. Finally, the representative said something like the surcharge goes into the general operating fund.

Is this like jumping on a disaster bandwagon or what?
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

When your lawn turns brown and ugly just ask and I'll post a picture of mine for you to enjoy!
    With our snowpack irrigation resources will be in full supply in my area this year! In fact my ditch is already running full and I do not think they are even divirting to it yet!
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

Yeah, it sounds like someone is jumping on the disaster bandwagon. For some reason, that doesn't surprise me.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• final_t
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003

No, they are trying to curb water use by making it more expensive to use. Kinda like how they are trying to curb gasoline use by making it more expensive. Doesn't really work with a needed resource and all that.

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

Originally posted by final_t
          Doesn't really work with a needed resource...
          Well, sure it does. You'd be surprised how much water usage is discretionary. We've had this kind of thing around here before, inlcuding a whole variety of rationing schemes:
          • Low-flow shower heads free from the water district.
          • Mandatory low water usage toilets, with incentive to swap out old ones.
          • No car washing in the driveway (car washes use recycled water).
          • Lawn watering on alternate days.
          • Suggested use of the toilet only when going no. 2 (seriously, and most people complied)
          JR

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Basically they want to make water more expensive. There will always be scofflaws so the city wants to make a little money on the side too.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by JR
              Suggested use of the toilet only when going no. 2 (seriously, and most people complied)[/LIST]
              How about # 3 ?

Comment

• jackellis
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

Kinda like how they are trying to curb gasoline use by making it more expensive. Doesn't really work with a needed resource and all that.
                It does absolutely. There are always going to be some people who don't care about how much things cost but a surprising number of people get the message. During a bad drought in California 20 years ago, my sister-in-law managed to raise three kids including one in diapers, and grow a vegetable garden, on 65 gallons of water a day. There are lots of water uses that are discretionary when the alternative is running out.

You'd also be surprised at how much gasoline use is discretionary. I work from home and over the last two years, I've filled the tank in my car about once a month on average.

If I have 200 lemons to make the lemonade I'm selling and there's a line around the block, why would I charge 50 cents a glass if I could sell all I can make at a dollar a glass?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cabinetman
                  How about # 3 ?
                  Anything greater than 2, it's recommended to flush twice just to make sure it's gone.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                    Anything greater than 2, it's recommended to flush twice just to make sure it's gone.
                    Hardee ha ha, gotcha on this one. Everyone knows: 3 = 1 + 2

Comment

Working...