Clear All
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

look at these

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZronc31QQhtZ-1

Tell me if I'm the only one that thinks this guy isn't on the level.

among other things I'm wondering about his choice of using Wenge (which has large pores) in a cutting board. AS well as his claim that it's one of the most expensive woods in the world.
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

nice stuff but his discription and pictures are terrible for a premium product. obviously he is a woodworker 1st and a web merchant 2nd.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Hoover
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • USA.

Around the Seattle area wenge goes for roughly $8.00 a board foot. So I am calling B.S. on his claim. I know that genuine ebony goes for $45 to 90.00 a board foot, depending on the quality of the lumber. I am sure other woods can go a lot higher. I am using Everett, Washington Martin Lumber as a price guide.
      No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• jackellis
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

The nice thing about eBay is that it provides buyers and sellers with what's known as "price discovery". There are enough examples of an item for sale by enough merchants with enough buyers around to provide everyone with a sense of what's fair price-wise.

It doesn't mean all buyers or all sellers are necessarily smart. I've seen sellers price goods way out of the market and I've seen people get so caught up in an auction that they overpay for something.

Just don't forget that in any transaction, both buyer and seller have to agree on price. The seller wants as much as he can get. Buyer wants to pay as little as possible. Prices are driven almost entirely by supply, demand, and perception of value. Costs have less influence on prices than you'd think, unless the seller is a monopoly.

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

I'm glad this isn't a thread with a pic of Mike holding his shirt up!
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

maybe i'm missing it but i don't see where he maks any outrageous claims, particualry about the cost of wenge. And the wenge is used in corner splines where it won't be on the cutting surface.

His text is rather run together (could be better presented) and maybe a little brash, but as many times as we see that in a woodworker trying to sell his wares exagerating and overpromoting, we also see those who are too timid or modest about extolling their virtues.

Who knows, maybe it is as good as he says; his customers all seem to be pleased (feedbacks).

One thing about eBay, it's all about supply, demand and emotions. They all interplay in the most interesting fashion, don't you think?
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-26-2007, 12:25 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Russianwolf
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
              • One of them there Toy saws

Oh, I don't have a problem with his craftsmanship, the boards and boxes he's made look like nice work (other than my one reservation about wenge in a cutting board).

The "one of the most expensive woods in the world" comment caught my attention.

I've also never heard of the company his grandfather was part of. I'm hoping that it's not something he made up to make him sound better.

Then you have the whole notion that since his grandfather was a good woodworker, that automatically makes him one??? My father worked on Nuclear power stations, but that doesn't mean that I could.

Has anyone else heard of "The oil was applied the old fashion way. Heated and hand sanded into the wood." for a finish? It's a new one to me.

Maybe I'm take this wrong, but something just tripped by suspicion on this one.

Edit:

okay how's this "A BEAUTIFUL RARE PIECE OF AMBROSIA MAPLE!!!!!!" :smirk: I cna buy as much as you want for less than $2/bf

or "I DO NOT use Finger Joints even if they are easier to produce. My Grandfather taught me that with todays glues and changes in moisture in the wood it will move and finger joints CRACK over time. I use only biscuits or splines. They move with the wood. With changes in moisture the wood will move."

But he thinks dovetails are okay. If the above were true wouldn't they both crack?
              Last edited by Russianwolf; 03-26-2007, 01:13 PM.
              Mike
              Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

Working...