• Show
Clear All
  • movnup
    Established Member
    • Aug 2006
    • Seattle
    • BT3000

My Wife Hit My Truck !!!

Starting working out in the gargage / shop to finish hanging my sliding doors on my second workbench project, had the truck backed up in the driveway like always to work out there, went in to get cup of coffee, and then heard a big bang !!!! As the title says my wife kissed her quarterpanel hard on her new car to my quarterpanel on the truck.

Considering we have $500 deduct times two there goes my 14" bandsaw, planer, and jointer to finish setting up my wood shop this spring. Last weekend I hit the gas pipe and it costs $12 to fix and just waking up it cost me a grand. This is her second accident in 6 months (she hit someone going 5 mph in rush hour) and I got in trouble because my truck was in the way!!!

Why ask why ???? I know someday I will build some furniture out of wood, I know I will, I know I will, I know I will .....
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

I know you feel like crying , but better days lie ahead.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

You're in good company...last Saturday my son totalled our primary car....spent today looking for a replacement (vehicle that is! ...by law we have to keep the kid!). No shop upgrades this year...

Hang tough! ...cars are fixable/replaceable. An empty space in the driveway is better than an empty seat at the breakfast table.
      Last edited by Knottscott; 03-24-2007, 04:32 PM.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Afternoon movnup...

Face reality my man.. the honeymoon's over. First rule after that happens is you might as well take the interior and rear veiw mirrors off her vehicle and don't put anything valuable near their path when they are in a motor vehicle. Women find mirrors totally useless in life except to straighten hair and touch up make-up.... :>)

But enjoy the small incidents while you can.. when you have kids and they reach the teen-age years.. stories like yours become small, very in-significant mis-demeanors comparatively and you realize the "parties over". ha.. ha...

Regards...

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

I started out as a Neander, with Gramps old hand tools. At least you can pick them up cheap at garage sales.

I would duck and mention to her that it's her responsibilty to be in control of her vehicle at ALL times, while behind the wheel. Otherwise, I would ask her if the garage door was going to be in her way.

For at least a decade, my motto was, If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have NO luck at all.
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

Originally posted by movnup
            Considering we have $500 deduct times two there goes my 14" bandsaw, planer, and jointer to finish setting up my wood shop this spring.
            Some auto insurance companies will wave the deductible if they insure both cars involved in a collision. I don't know the logic, but it is true. So ask your insurance company if they have such a policy.

Comment

• Ed62
              The Full Monte
              • Oct 2006
              • NW Indiana
              • BT3K

Originally posted by Dustmight
              An empty space in the driveway is better than an empty seat at the breakfast table.
              Absolutely! I've always said it's a lot easier to attach a new front end than it is to attach a new arm or leg. Keep your priorities straight, and it'll be a lot easier to handle.

Ed
              Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• gary
                • May 2004
                • Versailles, KY, USA.

Gary

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by cgallery
                  Some auto insurance companies will wave the deductible if they insure both cars involved in a collision. I don't know the logic, but it is true. So ask your insurance company if they have such a policy.
                  movnup, unless you are worried about rates for your wife going up because of the prior accident, check this out. My mom did essentially the same thing to my dad a few years ago and the deductible was waived for her for this reason.

I'd ask her why your tool budget is gone if she was the one who hit your car. Suggest it come out of one of her budgets. Then I'd run like heck.
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                    • One of them there Toy saws

one) post pics of the damage so we can see how much you're talking about.

two) if it's not too bad have an estimate done BEFORE filing a claim.

three) If the two aren't too bad then you may just drive them as is, or it may be cheaper to pay the repairman yourself. especially if it's just a dent on the front quarter panels (these are easy bolt on panels on most cars/truck).

I drive a nearly 40 year old truck with rust holes in it, so I'm not pretentious (sp?) enough to think that my vehicles have to look showroom new. If you fit in this catagory, you might be able to save some money.
                    Mike
                    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• moc
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Apr 2006
                      • st. louis
                      • bt3100 (Now out of box!)

Originally posted by Russianwolf
                      three) If the two aren't too bad then you may just drive them as is
                      That was my thought. There is definitely a freedom in driving a car that's already dinged.

"You wanna cut me off? Bring it on!"

Of course, I drive a '94 Golf without door handles... so YMMV

*moc

Comment

• coach
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2005
                        • Forney, TX.
                        • Powermatic 66

My wife ruined the tailgate on my beloved GMC, BEFORE I MADE THE FIRST PAYMENT.

Know what, I never replaced it. That was many years ago, and I still have that warped tailgate. Thing is, it doesn't really bother me.
                        If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

• Perfidiajoe
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Copiague, New York, USA.

With that luck I wouldn't waste any money on lottery tickets. I feel for you, mine drove 2 miles on a flat, in the front, & complained they didn't do a good job plowing the road, "it was very rough & bumpy" The now useless tire had only 1000 miles on it. I feel your pain!
                          It's got to be us, because there are a lot more of them!

Comment

• JTimmons
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Denver, CO.
                            • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

A neighbor commented one time on my wife's entry into the garage when she came home every day, just so happened we were talking about it when she came home.
                            She opened the garage door a block away, completely opened before she hit the end of the driveway and closing before the roof of the car cleared the entry way all doing about 5 - 10 mph and then the NASCAR pit-stop at the end.
                            I was waiting for her to come in one day and tell me she tore the garage door off or having the car come through the wall, until she learned to SLOW down. Her lesson was learned by ripping the driver side mirror off on one of her entrances and a month later ripping it off backing out.

Needless to say, I back her new truck into the garage every night now.

I also had to explain to her that the squeeking sound she was hearing meant something when applying the brakes, that she didn't have to wait until she heard a griding sound to let me know that the pads need to be changed.

I feel your pain too!
                            "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
                            -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• movnup
                              Established Member
                              • Aug 2006
                              • Seattle
                              • BT3000

The story continues ....

This morning my four year old asks this question and the dialogue is as follows:

Jamie (munchkin): Mommy why did you bonk daddies truck ??
                              Becky (mom): Because he parked it in the way and he should have told me it was there [ editors note - it's been parked outside like that everytime I work in the shop ]
                              Jim (me): Is this my fault because you hit my truck???
                              Becky: Yes .... if you didn't park there I wouldn't have hit it !!!
                              Jim: I knew you would try and blame it on me (WRONG ANSWER JIM)
                              Becky: (this gets pretty graphic so I don't want to singe anyones ears)

I appeciate everyone's advice and will look at the insurance stuff tommorow but I'll probably just pay out of pocket and save up again for stationary tools.

Why ask why ??? I am firmly convinced in the last fifteen seconds of life on this earth, lying in my deathbed, I'm going to sit up and shout "I get it ..... I understand women" then I'll die!!!

Comment

Working...