Kinda like when you "noticed" the girl next door for the first time...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drkg
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2006
    • Rockingham County, NC

Kinda like when you "noticed" the girl next door for the first time...

I just found an AWESOME lumber yard....almost in my own backyard.

Now, I don't own a planer because I always thought that buying roughsawn lumber meant either driving 100 miles to find a decent lumber yard and then paying too much or, finding a small community yard and having to special order, then getting the wrong stock and then paying WAY too much.

So...I had been limiting myself to what dimensional stuff I could get at HD or Woodcraft ($$$) or special ordering some small pieces, having it dimensioned by the source and praying for decent stock to be delivered to me.

Anyway, I work in a small town, and live in a smaller town about 10 miles away. Every day I pass this lumber yard on my way to lunch, but always assumed it was an over-priced, under-stocked yard like so many small communities have. Yesterday it was fairly hot outside, and I didn't feel much like eating so I decided to stop in and look around the place.....
    .............EUREKA!!!!!............

check this out: www.walllumber.com
    This place is like 2 miles from work, about 10 miles from home and not too far out of my way home!!!!

Wall's got about any kind of wood you want, in just about any size, and will dimension it for a very reasonable charge. He's also got a free-pickins scrap bin out back!!!!! Plus its the kind of yard you can just enjoy shopping in weekly. There's a group of cool old guys that hang around BSing and driking coffee, and you never know what's going to come into stock. Someone at work had told me the owner had just sold some amazing stock: 2 black walnut slabs - 8" + thick, 12' long X 6 ft wide ($1200 each).

How did I neglect to go in this place before??!?!? Needless to say I'm now shopping for a planer.
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

It looks like you hit the jackpot. I wish there was one in my backyard.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Sure would be neat to have a HW lumber yard on the drive home (and open to 6 or 7 PM)

the only HW lumber yard/stores near me are 45-mins away in weekend traffic, 1 hour in week-day traffic
      and only open 9-5 weekdays when I'm supposed to be working.
      And 9-12 Saturday (when I have other scheduled activities). Grrr..
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• DonHo
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2004
        • Shawnee, OK, USA.
        • Craftsman 21829

I've been ordering lumber from Steve Wall for a couple of years now, mostly 1/2" "craft" lumber for boxes etc. Very good service and the wood I've gotten has been good also. It'd be a lot better to stop by and pick it up rather than pay shipping however

Good find,
        DonHo
        Don

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Just a comment on the title, but I married the girl next door. I thought a guy lived there cause I'd seen somebody working in the yard a few times. I originally went over to complain that her dog was waking me up. When I saw her for the first time, I thought she was real cute. She thought I was very polite for the reason I was there.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• jziegler
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2005
            • Salem, NJ, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100

There is a custom furniture maker (and former master cabinet maker at Colonial Williamsburg) a couple towns away from here who reccommends them. I think that he orders from them. Their web page lists some good deals. I've thought of ordering from them before.

Jim

Comment

Working...