X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Still some honest people

I was at Lowes earlier to see if they had any of those PC routers posted in the bargain section. I left and went to the post office and when I went to pay I found out my wallet is missing!!!! Ran to the truck and see if it fell out inside and no luck. Drove back to Lowes and check the parking spot I was in, no luck. To the tool section (only section I went to), no luck. Asked the guy working the tool section, no luck. So I started leaving, feeling depressed I not only lost all the money, but would have to go through the hassel of canceling credit cards, replacing license, etc. I passed by customer service and thought I'd ask if anyone turned anything in, not expecting anything. And sure enough it was right there. I was so happy I almost kissed the lady at customer service. This just goes to renew my faith in people, especially with all the horrors you hear on the news.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • jwaterdawg
    • Aug 2005
    • Washington, NC USA
    • JET

A really sneaky person would simply copy down your credit card numbers, 3 digit verification code on the back, DOB and address from your driver's license (maybe your SS too if it's in there) and then turn the wallet in to lost and found.

Just a thought, glad you got your wallet back.
    Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Just to be on the safe side, you could call up all credit card co.s and ask for new cards, cancelling the current ones. the only hassle for you is the week's wait for the new cards to come in, but saves you a lot of second guessing. you can tell them you are just playing it safe; they'll be more than happy to oblige.

All that does not say you should not mentally thank the person who turned the wallet in; but just keeping your powder dry.

On the other hand, you could just keep an eye on your account online and immediately challenge anything wrong as soon as you see it. After all you don't need to have your wallet stolen to get your 'numbers' stolen. Lotsa other ways : like the waiter who takes away your card at the restaurant, the online purchase you made at shady-joe-with-fantastic-deals.com etc etc.

I can't think of many ways the drivers-license could harm you; even with ssn, it needs a professional con-man to really use it to your detriment. And nobody who's shopping at any tool-retailer (like Lowes) can be that bad
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

It seems like every time I think the whole world's going to h*ll, something like this renews my faith in mankind. It's good to hear these things every so often.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by jwaterdawg
          A really sneaky person would simply copy down your credit card numbers, 3 digit verification code on the back, DOB and address from your driver's license (maybe your SS too if it's in there) and then turn the wallet in to lost and found.

Party Pooper! KillJoy!
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JSCOOK
            • Sep 2006
            • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
            • Ryobi BT3100-1

Given the chance, I think "most" people have some level of morals or honesty ... but IMO I think it's something that seems to be erroding with each generation.
            "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• Ed62
              The Full Monte
              • Oct 2006
              • NW Indiana
              • BT3K

Originally posted by JSCOOK
              Given the chance, I think "most" people have some level of morals or honesty ... but IMO I think it's something that seems to be erroding with each generation.
              I blame that on losing the war on drugs. If it weren't for illegal drugs, I doubt there would be any more dishonesty than there has been for ages.

Ed
              Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• mater
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • SC, USA.

I bet you were happy. Thankfully an honest person found it.
                Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

Working...