• Show
Clear All
  • germdoc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Omaha, NE
    • BT3000--the gray ghost

A new house

I won't bore you all with the ups and downs of my life, which have been pretty dramatic lately. I feel like I'm starring in my own soap opera. I do want to share an upper, which is a bit of a gloat.

I will be buying a new house in La Crosse. It is a charming little house near the center of town which has been recently renovated. It was built in 1928 and is as sturdy as a rock. The outside is admittedly a little plain, but the inside is marvelous. The last owner did a bang-up job of renovating the 2 bathrooms and kitchen, also a den/entertainment room downstairs with wire-in speakers and a wet bar (!). It has 5 bedrooms and original wood floors in great condition.

The yard is small--not too much upkeep!--and very little sidewalk length to clear of snow--may get rid of my snowblower.

The only issue is the roof, which I may have to have replaced this summer, vs. some repair of a small area.

What really sold me, though, was the 3-car garage with a heated bay for my shop! Hardly any residences in this area have more than a 1-car garage, so this is a real find. The garage is brand-spankin' new without a speck of dust. Yet.

You can look at the house here:

http://lacrosserealestate.com/proper...sName=MetroMLS
    Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Jeff, that looks absolutely terrific. "Charming" is an overworked term when it comes to older houses, but in this case it applies in abundance. You're right: looking at the outside, the inside is a real surprise. Nice! And I'm especially happy for you considering your life's recent series of events.

Originally posted by germdoc
    What really sold me, though, was the 3-car garage with a heated bay for my shop! Hardly any residences in this area have more than a 1-car garage, so this is a real find. The garage is brand-spankin' new without a speck of dust. Yet.
    As the incomparable motoring journalist Peter Egan once wrote (approximately) about his own house-hunt, "My needs are simple: a four-bay garage with some sort of living quarters attached." I think you just hit that target.
    Larry

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Wow. That is a very nice house. Have fun in that garage!
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Boomer_01
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2006

Congrats on your new place

I have been trying for years to convince my wife that we should buy us a home. We live in a tiny little 1100 sq/ft place that belongs to her and her sister. We have gutted and renovated the place from the studs out over the past few years.

It’s a nice place, built in the 1920's, and our renovations have made it pretty much a new home inside and out.

We have no debts or mortgage which is nice but it sure would be nice to have a little more space and more than one 5'x7' bathroom.

The wifey says...."no payments!!"...."ever!".....it scares her to death if we owe anything to anyone....so we have to live debt free. I have been saving all I can but it is really tough to stick back enough cash to pluck down $150 - $175K for a house. Its hard enough to save up $30K for a car every five years or so. So I guess we will always we live in this little shoebox house.

Enjoy your new place and your great shop.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

what's snow?

Comment

• LYU370
            Established Member
            • Mar 2005
            • Streamwood, IL.

Jeff, that is a sweet looking house!!!

Originally posted by LarryG
            As the incomparable motoring journalist Peter Egan once wrote (approximately) about his own house-hunt, "My needs are simple: a four-bay garage with some sort of living quarters attached." I think you just hit that target.
            How about this baby that I ran across in my house hunt. Most of the houses in the neighborhood have a single car, possible a two car garage. This one has a SIX car tandem garage. I think the garage may be bigger than the house. YIKES!!!

Last edited by LYU370; 03-15-2007, 02:33 PM.
            Andy

Comment

• ragswl4
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Winchester, Ca
              • C-Man 22114

Too Nice for Words

For GermDoc:

That is a wonderful home, they don't build em like that anymore. That type of home in a nice area in California would cost $800,000 to $1M and in some cases, even more. I envy you and know you will enjoy the home and workshop. The home is tastefully decorated (colors and scheme) and looks very warm and inviting. I don't know how you feel about the snow but I live in the high desert in SoCal. Two days ago I had a rattlesnake on the front porch (stepped on a 4 footer last year, he struck my pant leg but got no skin) and this summer will be 115+ degrees. We are moving to the mountains next fall (hopefully) if we get the home built by then. I love those old homes as they have such nice character. ENJOY!!!!!!
              RAGS
              Raggy and Me in San Felipe
              sigpic

Comment

• ejs1097
                Established Member
                • Mar 2005
                • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

Originally posted by LYU370
                How about this baby that I ran across in my house hunt. Most of the houses in the neighborhood have a single car, possible a two car garage. This one has a SIX car tandem garage. I think the garage may be bigger than the house. YIKES!!!

Nah, this house just has HIS/HERS sides...I'll take the right side, she can have the left side.
                Eric
                Be Kind Online

Comment

• Ed62
                  The Full Monte
                  • Oct 2006
                  • NW Indiana
                  • BT3K

Very cool. You couldn't pass that up even if there were no house attached!

Ed
                  Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Kristofor
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2004
                    • Twin Cities, MN
                    • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

That looks very nice Jeff, and it sounds like it fits your needs as well. I also really like the area (the Mississippi blufflands, not your neighborhood in particular), lots of outdoor activities, smaller town, but still lots kids from the schools to keep the place lively (at least if they'd stop getting drunk and falling in the river...).

Comment

• germdoc
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2003
                      • Omaha, NE
                      • BT3000--the gray ghost

I've thought about moving, for instance to Chicago--my BIL and SIL live in Highland Park and have been trying to get me to move out there. But, La Crosse is a nice place. Over 6 years I've gotten to know just about everyone who's anyone here. The school system is very good; my kids enjoy school and are really into sports and music.

My new house will have an excellent view of scenic Granddad's bluff, and the river is 5 minutes away. As the ice melts, we can drive on highway 35 in either direction and watch the bald eagles casually feasting on fish from the meltwater. In 20 minutes--I clocked it last week--I can get off work and be on the ski slope during the winter. It's a 5 minute commute to work. Kids can walk to and from school.

I guess I like it here, or maybe I'm just too lazy to move far away??
                      Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• JR
                        The Full Monte
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Eugene, OR
                        • BT3000

Originally posted by germdoc
                        ... or maybe I'm just too lazy to move far away??
                        I doubt that! LaCrosse is a very nice spot. You didn't mention your work, Jeff, but I sense that is very fulfilling. With all the other pluses you mention with your family, why would you want to move?

You can go to Chicago easily enough for a show or a game. Or over the twin cities for well um a flight to the Bahamas when the winter lasts too long!

JR
                        JR

Comment

• mater
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • SC, USA.

Congratulations on the house Jeff. It looks great.
                          Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Tom H
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Sep 2006

Sounds like you'll be making lots of dust in there pretty soon. Congradulations!

Tom

Comment

Working...