• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Airplane House

Someone is turning a retired 727 into a house. Interesting concept.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • lrogers
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Mobile, AL. USA.
    • BT3000

A local eatery here in Mobile has pieces of a retired 727 mounted in/on/around the building. Inside, the aviation motiff is carried on with overhead bins, pictures and seats. Interesting place to have dinner.
    Larry R. Rogers
    The Samurai Wood Butcher
    http://splash54.multiply.com
    http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• scorrpio
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Interesting idea. Imagine being a flight sim fan, having a house like that and setting up the cockpit to finction as a simulator. Groovy!

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

I'm all for the RV thing. I just can't envision a summer jaunt down the interstate.

Comment

• jackellis
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

I'm a private pilot. I LOVE airplanes. But no way would I ever think of setting up house in one. Not even an old 747. Why? Because once you have to live in it all the time, flying in it is a lot less fun.

Comment

• eezlock
            • Feb 2006
            • Charlotte,N.C.
            • BT3100

airplane house........

Might be a real hoot trying to haul that thing down the road to it's new location wouldn't it? Just can't imagine trying to tow that thing anywhere
            except at an airfield without having to remove a LOT of parts! eezlock

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by eezlock
              Might be a real hoot trying to haul that thing down the road to it's new location wouldn't it? Just can't imagine trying to tow that thing anywhere
              except at an airfield without having to remove a LOT of parts! eezlock
              He said somewhere in the site what it cost to buy the thing and hive it moved.
              I dont recall the exact figures but it was on the order of $20K to have it positioned where he wanted it. And he lived not too far from the airport.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jackellis
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

Just can't imagine trying to tow that thing anywhere
                except at an airfield without having to remove a LOT of parts!
                The wingspan is about 120 feet so the wings would have to come off before it could be moved.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

But, as the site author said,
                  compared to a stick house, his house won't be eaten by termites, or rot, and will withstand 600 mph winds (At least in one direction - my observation).
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mschrank
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2004
                    • Hood River, OR, USA.
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                    But, as the site author said,
                    compared to a stick house, his house won't be eaten by termites, or rot, and will withstand 600 mph winds (At least in one direction - my observation).

Yeah, but Oregon doesn't have much of a termite problem, and not many hurricanes make it through here (Columbus day storm of '62 was a windy one, but they're rare.)

I read most of his site, and the guy seems a bit kooky to me. He seems convinced that most conventional homes are ready to come crashing down or explode at any minute. Those are things I'd associate more with something like a, hmm, let's see...an airplane!?

If I were him, I'd be worried about one of those big firs crashing across the fuselage during a storm...something that is common here.

Oh well, I applaud him for his originality...I just don't buy his argument that it's better than a traditional home.
                    Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

Working...