• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Best Tax Filing option?

Till last year, I was the 'sleeping partner' in my friend's business, and as a side-benefit his CPA handled my tax filing too.

This year, I don't have that, so I am on my own. So what is the best option for me to go to :
    Online or real-person? Online - TurboTax, TaxCut, or anything else?
    Real person - Franchised (H&R Block types) or single-shop CPAs?
    And what should I expect to spend? $50 is good, $300 is not
    I don't think my situation is too complex : I work full time (changed jobs in 2006), wife works part-time. 2 kids less than 8 years, pay mortgage on a house but have no stocks, own some mutual funds but no hectic activity there either.

Any advice for me?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • dlminehart
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • San Jose, CA, USA.

I'd give TurboTax a try. Costs about $50, and for your simple situation it would be fine. Probably only take you a couple hours, once you got your source materials together.
    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

Turbo Tax Delux online ~$40. IIRC. E-filing may be included.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• frumper64
        Established Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Garland, Tx, USA.

I'll second the on-line Turbo Tax suggestion - they offer three levels of service (as I recall) depending on how complex your tax return is. The simplest level only costs around $15 and includes electronic filing. The best part is that if you use it again next year, it remembers all this year's data and preloads a lot of the forms for you.
        Jim
        64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• jAngiel
          • Oct 2003
          • Ryobi BT3100

Go to irs.gov and you can find links to do your taxes online and efile all for free. Since you do not have a state income tax to worry about that is the route I would take. Can't beat the price...
          James

Comment

• Crash2510
            • Feb 2006
            • North Central Ohio

I usually use www.taxslayer.com it is cheap and really easy. It only costs $10. I am not sure how complicated your deductions are though.
            Phil In Ohio
            The basement woodworker

Comment

• MilDoc

TurboTax. Guaranteed mistake free or they pay. I've used it since the first year it came out, including 2 years with complicated private-office business returns. Been audited twice and in every case won. Easy to use. I'd pay to have taxes done only if I didn't own a computer or their fee was less than the cost of TT.

And they update it quickly with tax law changes, like this year.

Only precaution: don't file until late just in case there are late updates. This "rule" should apply to any computerized program. I usually file April 14th, but then I don't overpay like most folks do.
              Last edited by Guest; 03-07-2007, 07:05 PM.

Comment

• DUD
                Royal Jester
                • Dec 2002
                • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

I use the middle of the road Turbo Tax, it handles My Rentals, interest income, stocks,and farm income. I have used it for several years. If walks You through it and if You are not sure about something, click on help and it will ask the questions to get it right. Bill
                5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

Working...