• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • p8ntblr
    • Jan 2007
    • So Cal
    • Craftsman 22114

HDMI cable

Anyone know if brand/model makes a big difference here? If so which is best and why? Any good deals?
    -Paul
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • York, PA, USA.

Argument will ensue, however IMHO the answer is NO. We are talking about a digital signal which basically either works or doesn't work. There is generally no "quality" involved in digital transmission. No cable should result in data loss.
    I bought a Esoteric on eBay for $10 I think.

Comment

• Otter
      • Nov 2003
      • Cumming, GA, USA.
      • Delta Left Tilt UniSaw

I agree with Jeffery
      All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible

T.E. Lawrence

Comment

• FL Buckeye
        Established Member
        • Aug 2005
        • WC Florida and Crossville, TN
        • BT3100, Grizzly 1023SL

I don't think there's much difference either, as long as there is some quality control. I buy most of my cables online from Monoprice.com. You can get different lengths from 1.5 ft to 100ft, 22ga, 24 ga or 28 ga. If everything is close, you can get a 3 ft or 6ft 28awg HDMI for under $10 including shipping.
        Lanny

The older you get, the better you used to be.

Comment

• plarval
          Established Member
          • Apr 2004
          • Akron, Ohio, USA.

Everything I have read seems to be in line with Jeffrey's comments. It's a digital signal, so there shouldn't be much difference.

Comment

• Tequila
            • Aug 2004
            • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

As long as it's not a piece of junk, any cable will do. Go with monoprice.com.
            -Joe

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

You should be OK with any of those vendors on eBay that have 1000's of feedbacks.
              Their HDMI and other cables are usually suitable for the job.
              HDMI probably does have bit clocks running in the hundreds of MHz so suitably twisted transmission line pairs are required but its well known technology and the wires are easily available and the techniques are mass producible.

It doesn't take the $100 HDMI cables that Best Buy and the specialty A/V H/T stores are trying to push.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbarnett
                Established Member
                • Aug 2004
                • San Diego
                • JET-10CW2-PF 10 Contractor-Style Tablesaw

Home Depot has them for $19

I almost made the mistake of buying an HDMI cable from Best Buy for $75, when I went to HD and saw them by accident for $19. I love the picture quality and could not imagine that $55 extra would make a big difference.

Comment

• ragswl4
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Winchester, Ca
                  • C-Man 22114

Don' Waste Your Money

I spoke with an honest young man at my local Best Buy about the Monster HDMI cable vs the one that came with my Samsung DVD player. His response was that the Monster cable "might" improve the picture by 3%. I asked him how I could tell if the picture was improved and he said, "the human eye cannot detect a 3% improvement in a video picture, so I might want to think about not purchasing the cable". I was astounded that he said this, but grateful.
                  RAGS
                  Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                  sigpic

Comment

• scorrpio
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Overpriced cables are snake oil, and add as much quality as gold-plated exhaust pipes add to car performance. They are pure bling. (Gold-plated cable connetors DO make a difference, but you can easily find gold-plated for $15 instead of $100) However, they have MASSIVE profit margin for stores, hence they are being pushed so much on the uninformed customer.

Pro audio/video guys working for rich clients also tend to use those 'high-end' cables. Reasons:
                    1. Client has money to spend, and it feels 'right' to have $500 cables connecting $20,000 pieces of equipment.
                    2. There is an excellent kickback for A/V pros.

Us budget-minded guys? Get that $20 cable from Amazon, and laugh at the gullible simpleton who thinks his $1000 worth of Monster cables makes a difference.

Comment

• Rob R
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • West, Michigan.

i would try the monoprice cables.

i had an s-video for my sat dish going 26 ft to my projector. it was a monster cable and cost 65$ it was just a little short, after moving my componets a bit.

i bought a 50ft from monoprice, for about 8 bucks, the picture is the same. that's with a cable that lenth does matter.

for HDMI, as long as it's connected, you're good. i'd go with monoprice.

i also bought a component cable from them for my dvd player, superb.

happy viewing

rob

Comment

• p8ntblr
                        • Jan 2007
                        • So Cal
                        • Craftsman 22114

I checked out monoprice. They have different gauges. Do you think that will make any difference. Also what is Ferrite Cores?
                        -Paul

Comment

• Tequila
                          • Aug 2004
                          • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

If the price is comparable, a larger wire (smaller gauge #) will generally be better.

Ferrite cores are chunks of ferrite encased in plastic that clip on over the cable. You may have seen something like them on the ends of a computer monitor cable. They act as a magnetic shunt, reducing the interference between cables.

Most likely, you don't need them. If you happen to have a cable that's plugged in right next to a power cord, or a very long cable, they can give some improvement in the signal.
                          -Joe

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by p8ntblr
                            I checked out monoprice. They have different gauges. Do you think that will make any difference. Also what is Ferrite Cores?

I have never seen a HDMI cable with wire gauge as a variable.
                            usually for transmission line cables (high frequency digital) the gauge is fixed. I think you are confused. Maybe you are confusing length or number of pins. A link would help.

Ferrites are the cylindrical blobs near the connectors that are used to reduce interference. They do not reduce power line interference, they are to kill conducted EMI and RFI at very high frequencies.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• p8ntblr
                              • Jan 2007
                              • So Cal
                              • Craftsman 22114

From the link. They have 24AWG and 28AWG.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...+cable&x=0&y=0
                              -Paul

Comment

Working...