Question for australians, do you have southern lights?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mleichtle
    Established Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Cedarburg, Wi, USA.

Question for australians, do you have southern lights?

Driving home from work last night I saw these light pillars in the sky, Heres a pic I got off the internet, not mine but very close to what I saw. I'm far enough north that once and while we get some nice northern light shows. Arora borealis. Just got me wondering if the southern half of the planet has the phenomenons.
    Attached Files
    M. Leichtle
    Beer is proof that God exsists and wants us to be happy.
    Ben Franklin
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

from wikipedia

The aurora borealis is also called the northern lights since it is only visible in the North sky from the Northern Hemisphere. The aurora borealis most often occurs from September to October and from March to April. Its southern counterpart, aurora australis, has similar properties.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• RodKirby
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
      • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Not visible from Oz.
      Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• Daibach
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2006
        • Squamish, B.C., Canada
        • Ryobi BT3100

Northern Lights

Since the northern lights are affected by the north magnetic pole, and since the north magnetic pole is moving toward Siberia, there may be a period of time when the light shows will be a lot rarer and less impressive.

"...During the last century the <north magnetic> Pole has moved a remarkable 1100 km. What is more, since about 1970 the NMP has accelerated and is now moving at more than 40 km per year. If the NMP maintains its present speed and direction it will reach Siberia in about 50 years. Such an extrapolation is, however, tenuous. It is quite possible that the Pole will veer from its present course, and it is also possible that the pole will slow down sometime in the next half century."

Quote from Natural Resources Canada web site http://gsc.nrcan.gc.ca/geomag/nmp/long_mvt_nmp_e.php
        "Mother Nature is like Revenue Canada; makes her own rules and don't tell you all of them!" The Squire-Wingfield's Follies

Comment

Working...