• Show
Clear All
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Smoking and drinking

We've had "sleep apnea" and "weight loss" threads. Now, do you smoke or drink? How much? I smoked at one time, but it's been over 40 years ago. I also used to drink (almost always beer, almost every day, and almost always more than needed), but it's been over 25 years since I've had a drink. It did not enhance my personality.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/
  • Otter
    • Nov 2003
    • Cumming, GA, USA.
    • Delta Left Tilt UniSaw

Drug free for 20 years
    Sober for 10 years
    Smoke free for 2 years

I still cuss like a salor (used to be one).
    All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible

T.E. Lawrence

Comment

• scorrpio
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Never smoked in my life. Tobbaco smoke makes me sick, being in a place where others smoke results in severe headaches.

No drugs ever other than medical kind - as precribed by doctor.

Alcohol is a different matter. An occasional beer now and then, hot sake with my sushi, good red wine at French or Italian, some fine cognac at parties... I tend to believe the notion that very moderate alcohol intake is actually beneficial to one's health. And I got quite a few M.D. friends/relatives who agree with that theory, and strangely enough, not a single one who doesn't.

Comment

• jackellis
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

Never smoked. Hate cigarettes but for some dumb reason I don't mind pipe or cigar smoke.

No drugs. Ever. I also avoid prescription and non-prescription drugs like the plague, though I will take aspirin on occasion for sinus headaches.

Glass of wine with diiner or a beer about 3-4 nights a week. Rarely more than two in a sitting.

Comment

• Perfidiajoe
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Copiague, New York, USA.

Quit Smoking 17 years ago, for the most part loved it when I smoked. Stopped drinking about 11 years ago, I drank like it was my job! Never had an affinity for anything I had to hide to do, anything, such as drugs just wasn't for me. That & my fathers one sentence drug talk "You know what I'm talking about, I won't give you a second chance" & I knew he meant it! I stopped both because it was the thing to do.
          It's got to be us, because there are a lot more of them!

Comment

• JTimmons
            • Feb 2005
            • Denver, CO.
            • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

I was an occassional drinker before moving out here and didn't care much for beer. Denver has really opened my eyes on what's out there though. Have at least one a day now during dinner, the micro-brew is something else out here.
            Smokeless tobbaco is my habit, that has been with me for some time now.
            "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
            -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• linear
              • May 2004
              • DeSoto, KS, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3100

I don't smoke and I don't chew and I don't go with girls what do.
              --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• gad5264
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2005
                • Columbus, Ohio, USA
                • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Never ever smoked, lost my father at the age of 8 to lung cancer. Not a dipper, however my uncle did give me some chewing tobacco when we were out rabbit hunting once. I tripped over a log and swallowed it, puked all the way back to the truck. Gave up that habit real quick.

Occassional beer drinker and won't shy away from a tequila shot when it's offered. Give me the salt and hold the lime.
                Grant
                "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• norwegianwoodworker
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jun 2004
                  • Daly City, CA, USA.

I have never smoked, and smoke in general makes me very sick. Did drink in my late teens, but after reaching the early twenties, I was done. If I drink alcohol, I get very, very sick. Yeah, I know, a lot of people do that if they drink too much, but for me, alcohol is very bad. And if I were to drink now, it would probably kill me, being on a lot of medics.

And I don't do drugs, except prescribed by a doctor.

But I do love non-alcoholic malt beverage.... and could have been a big beer drinker...
                  Joern.

Comment

• jziegler
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2005
                    • Salem, NJ, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3100

I don't smoke, never have, never want to.

As for drinking, I don't see much harm in the occasional drink. All things in moderation. Never drive after even one drink unless I have a nice wait. Yeah, I can't hold my liquor all that well, but I'm not a big guy.

Now, on my European trip, which starts late this week, I'll probably have more wine and beer than normal, but hey, it's cheaper than anything else to drink there.

Jim

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2005
                      • York, PA, USA.

Smoked pack a day between 15 - 28, so 13 years.

Drank like a fish through HS and college, though I never had a problem.

A 24pk of New Castle will last me a year now. I do go overboard when I go on vacation and there are no kids around. I used to get pretty blotto when we would go to Vegas, AC, Tunica, etc but I don't even do that much anymore. Of course I used to play craps and blackjack where little to no skill is involved, whereas I now play decent stake poker and need to somewhat keep my senses about me. It is fun to drink heavily and donk it up at the 2/4 limit or 1/2 NL tables.

Drugs. Hmmmm. Let's see. Toured with the Dead for 3 Summers, lived in a VW camper bus, member of fraternity nick named Alpha Sigma High. Ya, I did a good bit of drugs. Pretty much stopped when I got out of college. I can't remember the last time I was high. Must of been good! LOL!

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2006
                        • On the TARDIS
                        • BT 3100

I'll be smoke free for five years on sunday. I quit loads of time for all kinds of reasons. There was the money issue, the kids begging, plus seeing relatives suffer through smokiing related illnesses. Always started up again. One day I said that's enough and that was it.

I still like a bit of scotch every now and then but I'm very conservative with my drink. especially if I have to drive. If I'm driving I might have one drink over the course of the night. Last time I had a beer last me almost four hours!

Drugs? I don't even like over the counter stuff .

So far my children are right set against smoking and drugs and neither one like anything that tastes like booze. I hope they stay that way.
                        From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• WayneJ
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

I somked for about 45 yrs. A pack of Lucky's was about 17 cents when I started. Had to have my left hip replaced about 8 years ago. Thought it was a good excuse to quit , going into the hospital. Quit cold turkey and haven't missed it since. Still like my beer and some Jose Quervo now and then, a little wine with a good meal but nothing to excess. Don,t drive after i've had any. Can't kick, I'm 72 and still going strong.
                          wayne
                          Wayne J

Comment

• germdoc
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2003
                            • Omaha, NE
                            • BT3000--the gray ghost

OK, I'm one of those who thinks that God put grapes and grains and the tobacco plant on this earth for our enjoyment, in moderation.

I never smoked cigarettes, but I like an occasional cigar, like once or twice a year. I did buy 2 Cubans in Israel and haven't partaken of them yet. My father died of heart and lung disease after 100 pack-years of smoking, so I'm not a friend of the cigarette industry.

I enjoy all types of alcohol but rarely, if ever, drink to intoxication. Passing out on a toilet seat and vomiting into my undershorts in college cured me of any tendency toward overdrinking. Right now a glass of brandy before bedtime takes the evening chill off.
                            Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• nadz
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Dec 2005
                              • Rocket City, AL, USA.

what a great thread

i conservativly drink in liberal moderation, mostly beer, occiasionally a mixed drink, when im practicing my 'man-manship' i like a wee dram of scotch or something like that...

occassional cigars- love'em, pipesmoke- even better, cigarettes- not interested, to easy for me to form a habit...
                              -----------------------------------------------------------------
                              Proudly piddling in my garage shop | BT3K, Rigid 10" CMS, Rigid 12" Planer, HF Jointer

Comment

Working...