• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cheeky
    • Nov 2006
    • westchester cty, new york
    • Ridgid TS2400LS

question about linking here

how do you truncate links? for instance, if i wanted to link a website that's really long, and just type, "free beer" for instance in place, what do i do?
    Last edited by Cheeky; 02-03-2007, 02:31 PM.
    Pete
  • thestinker
    • Oct 2005
    • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

Yea..how do you do that. I've seen it done but don't know how to do it.
    Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• parnelli
      • Aug 2004
      • bt3100

Originally posted by Cheeky
      how do you truncate links? for instance, if i wanted to link a website that's really long, and just type, "free beer" for instance in place, what do i do?
      Just click on the little globe icon with the chain link on it.
      Looks like this-->
      Then follow it's instructions.

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

the url link is not shortened, only what is displayed is.

when you click on the globe/chain link, it asks you to paste the link (starting with the http:... etc).

when you click ok, it shows you the link twice, the 2nd occurance is what is displayed in your post. you can change it to 'free beer' or whatever.
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Actually you type the words free beer in context. Then you highlight it and click on the globe-chain icon. Then enter the entire URL in the text box including the suggested HTTP: prefix.

When the message appears to the reader the free beer will be hyperlinked, e.g. it will be blue and underlined and the hand pointer will appear when the cursor is over the link (and the link address - URL - will appear in the lower bottom of your browser window). Double clicking on the link will take the browser there.

P.S. the link I pasted is a dummy - there ain't no such thing as a Free beer - TANSTAAFB.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-05-2007, 03:01 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cheeky
            • Nov 2006
            • westchester cty, new york
            • Ridgid TS2400LS

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            Actually you type the words free beer in context. Then you highlight it and click on the globe-chain icon. Then enter the entire URL in the text box including the suggested HTTP: prefix.

When the message appears to the reader the free beer will be hyperlinked, e.g. it will be blue and underlined and the hand pointer will appear when the cursor is over the link (and the link address - URL - will appear in the lower bottom of your browser window). Double clicking on the link will take the browser there.

P.S. the link I pasted is a dummy - there's no such thing as Free beer - TNSTAFB.
            thanks, freebeer, looks pretty good too
            Pete

Comment

• JTimmons
              • Feb 2005
              • Denver, CO.
              • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

Alright, I am still stuck on the free beer thing! Where? I demand you tell me now and why isn't it in the Bargain Alerts?
              "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
              -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by JTimmons
                Alright, I am still stuck on the free beer thing! Where? I demand you tell me now and why isn't it in the Bargain Alerts?

Just follow the links in the above two or three posts.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• MikeR
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Dec 2006
                  • Bayside, NY
                  • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by LCHIEN

P.S. the link I pasted is a dummy - there ain't no such thing as a Free beer - TANSTAAFB.
                  Ah, a Heinlein fan......?

Cheers,

MikeR

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by MikeR

Cheers,

MikeR
                    Ah, not that much, I recalled my friend in college walking around saying Taanstfl a lot, I knew what it meant and I was reminded of it when I phrased the dummy site for free beer. then I decided to google it see if it was still bandied about - I found some sites so since this was a tutorial on linking, I linked it...

ANyway, from "the Moon is a Harsh Mistress", I believe. That's about the extent of my memory.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• KenBurris
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Cincinnati, OH, USA.

Free Lunch with that beer

Originally posted by MikeR
                      Got one here! (and Moon is the correct source. - depending on which timeline you inhabit )
                      Ken in Cincinnati

Pretend this line says something extremely witty

Comment

Working...