Clear All
  • KLF
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2006
    • Barrington NH
    • BT3000 (of course)

Cracking fingers

Hi all:

Posting here, just to see if anybody else has the same problem as me, and if there is a better solution.

Every winter for as long as I can remember, I have problems with my finger tips cracking open, particularly on my right hand, on the end of me thumb and index finger. They usually happen right at the extreme edge of the nail, at the very edge, where the finger tip is stressed the most. They don't bleed, but are VERY tender and painful. The dryness of the season is the root of the problem, I'm sure. But it makes it a lot worse when I do a lot of woodworking like I am now, the sawdust soaks up any remaining oils in my hands, so the cracks can't heal.

The only thing I've been able to do is try to keep hand lotion on my hands, but with a lot of painting and finishing, I have to wash my hands often, so the lotion doesn't stay long. Lately I've been putting strips of ducttape across and around my finger tips to hold the cracks together, and they are not as sensitive. But it's a pain to have to do this, sometimes I have to replace the tape 2-3 times a day.

Any ideas? This sucks.
  • Thom2
    Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
    • Jan 2003
    • Stevens, PA, USA.
    • Craftsman 22124

I've seen a LOT of mechanics using good old super glue for the exact same scenario. In the morning you'd see them standing at their toolbox gluing up all the cracks on their fingertips.

I've never been sure of how safe this practice is tho'
    If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
    **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• TheRic
      • Jun 2004
      • West Central Ohio
      • bt3100

Have the same problem in the winter. My dad was a rural route mail carrier, and he had the problem also. The best thing we have found is Neutrogena.

I try to rub that on at night, or when ever I know I won't be washing my hands soon. In the past I have started using it AFTER the cracks appeared. After a week or so the cracks are gone / down to a little. Sometime I will cut off the very dry ridges at the cracks, then put the lotion on. If I keep the ridges down, there is less chance of them catching on something and ripping open.

This year I am trying to stay ahead of the game, started putting some on at night about a couple of times a week. No problems YET this year.
      Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• wardprobst
        • Jan 2006
        • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
        • Craftsman 22811

Couple of things:
        I use rubber finger tips from the office supply during repetitive stuff, they cushion and help retain moisture.
        Put lotion on, then gloves for finishing- you really need to do that IMO.

Hope it helps,
        DP
        www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• ChongoChingi
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2007
          • Oklahoma City, Ok
          • BT3000

I use the vaseline intensive care hand lotion and it usually heals mine up. I will get cracks between my fingers and on the tips. I just put some on before I go to bed. It will take few days but you should see an improvement.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

I'm not a doctor, nor am I about to give medical advice, but that happens to me also. My dermatologist said to keep lotion on as much as possible and drink at a minimum at least 64 oz of water a day. I try to drink more than that. You can overdo the water intake with excess, and it's called water intoxication (saw it on the news). I notice that gypsum based products and items like caulk, solvents of any kind, wood putty, drywall, drywall mud, and just about anything takes or absorbs moisture out of the skin. My exposure is almost on a daily basis, and I might not be a good example because of the constant use of a variety of materials. There may be some items you handle that create an allergic reaction, or maybe some procedures that stress the tips of your fingers.

Some people are very allergic to urea formaldehyde which is present in some plywoods, MDF, melamine, and particle board (aka - chipboard). Many woods, both softwoods and hardwoods could be a problem. How one reacts to the problem, dryness and cracking could be one of the symptoms. I get, and have seen on other woodworkers the dryness and cracking not just on the tips but on the palm side of fingers.

Maybe Mildoc or Germdoc will have an explicit answer for this problem.

I hate to say this but I always show people my hands and say "These are not the hands of a gynecologist".

A THING OF BEAUTY IS A JOY FOREVER - John Keats
            Last edited by cabinetman; 01-22-2007, 01:56 PM.

Comment

• DonHo
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2004
              • Shawnee, OK, USA.
              • Craftsman 21829

My wife, who's a quilter has the same problem. Seems fabric tends to dry the hands also. She has had good luck with using the lotion with the hot parafin dip on her hands. I got her the parafin dip machine a few years back when they were popular and it's helped her a lot since. She just dips her hands once each night as we sit and watch TV.
              DonHo
              Don

Comment

• KLF
                Forum Newbie
                • Jun 2006
                • Barrington NH
                • BT3000 (of course)

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the gloves, but I seem to shred them too quickly, or I hate the sweat that builds up inside them, which is odd because the excess moisture doesn't seem to help with the cracking.

I should also mention that my other hobby is working on vehicles, which means lately I'm outside working in the cold, and I end up having to use harsh hand cleaners to get rid of the grease and grime.

I do slather my hands with either Eucerin, Vaseline lotion, or sometimes even good ol' Bag Balm every night, it does help, but they're still cracking.

I do have to run out to the Post Office in a few, I'll run into Staples and see if they have any of those little fingertip thingys, give them a try.

Comment

• gsmittle
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                  • BT 3100

My father was a diesel truck mechanic, and he used Cornhusker's lotion every night for the same problem. I don't know if it's made any more. It came in a glass bottle and was very, very thick. When I was a kid I'd turn the bottle over and watch the air bubble make its sloooooooooooooow way to the other end.

Deprived childhood, I know.

I don't really have the problem, it just feels like my brain is cracking and peeling sometimes.

g.
                  Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                  Bill & Ted

Comment

• john67

My wife's fingers don't crack, but constant battle with dryness. When it is really bad, she will put on a thick layer of lotion just before bed and then put on some cotton gloves so it doesn't smear everywhere. That plus regular lotion applications during the day get it under control. Also, she uses lotion from Bath and Bodyworks which has avacado oil in it. She thinks the avacado oil helps since a lot of other lotions don't have it. However, I don't think Bath and Bodyworks carries any "manly" scents, like Fresh Walnut Shavings or New Car #9 .

John

Comment

• TheRic
                      • Jun 2004
                      • West Central Ohio
                      • bt3100

Originally posted by gsmittle
                      My father was a diesel truck mechanic, and he used Cornhusker's lotion every night for the same problem. I don't know if it's made any more. It came in a glass bottle and was very, very thick......
                      They still make it, at least they still did a few years ago. I have tried it, it works decent. I have found Neutrogena to work better for me. I know people who liked the cornhuskers better. Both are high in glycerin!!
                      Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                        Bandsaw Box Momma
                        • Apr 2005
                        • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

I have had that problem in the past. When our twins were babies it was really bad from the baby wipes and the washing hands a thousand times a day it seemed. I finally found some stuff that worked and wore gloves to bed at night. I used Bag Balm, I believe it is still found in drug stores or your local farm supply store. And then once I had the cracks healed up I started using Mary Kay hand cream which I got from my MIL and that is wonderful stuff.

There is a new lotion out there that is very nice I found it when I worked in the bank, doesn't wash off when you get your hands wet and has no scent to it, Aveeno hand cream comes in a little bottle with purple writing on it.
                        Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• jziegler
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2005
                          • Salem, NJ, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by KLF
                          Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the gloves, but I seem to shred them too quickly, or I hate the sweat that builds up inside them, which is odd because the excess moisture doesn't seem to help with the cracking.

I should also mention that my other hobby is working on vehicles, which means lately I'm outside working in the cold, and I end up having to use harsh hand cleaners to get rid of the grease and grime.

I do slather my hands with either Eucerin, Vaseline lotion, or sometimes even good ol' Bag Balm every night, it does help, but they're still cracking.

I do have to run out to the Post Office in a few, I'll run into Staples and see if they have any of those little fingertip thingys, give them a try.
                          For the gloves, the kind of glove makes a big difference. If you're still using latex gloves, give teh nitrile gloves a try. For me, they tend to not tear as easily, and handle solvents a little better.

The Neutrogena hand cream is really good, as is Burt's Bees hand salve (very, very oily though). LOML has some 100% shea butter (from Bath and Body Works, or some place like that) which is another good choice. All three seem much better than the Vaseline lotion, which I never found to be that great.

The fingertip thinggies are called finger cots. Never used them, but at a previous employer, some people used them for certain tasks, like cleaning stuff with acetone or alcohol. Like gloves, they come in different materials (or at least do from industrial suppliers).

Jim

Comment

• BigguyZ
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2006
                            • Minneapolis, MN
                            • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I hate the stuff, but Zim's Crack Cream and the Gold Bond medicated body lotion has worked fairly well in combination. I still get cracking, though. I agree that sometimes super glue to stop the crack from spreading helps a lot.

Comment

• KLF
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Jun 2006
                              • Barrington NH
                              • BT3000 (of course)

Couldn't find anything at Staples, so I wandered into Walgreens next door. Found the "finger cots" things, figured I'd give them a try. Argh... line was 8 deep, moving VERY slowly, two empty registers and a bunch of employees standing round doin nothing. Heck with that, I was outta there.

Then I remembered I had a vial of something called "Skin Crack Care" by Nexus at home. Kinda like a weaker version of SuperGlue. I'll cut a few fingers off some nitrile gloves and give that a try.

Bring on the Bag Balm!

Comment

Working...