• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zootroy
    Established Member
    • Oct 2005
    • Coeur D\'Alene, Idaho.

snow blower info

I am planning on picking up a snow blower. I don't mind shoveling, but I don't have the time anymore. The problem is, I don't know anything about them. I live in town, so I just need to blow a sidewalk and driveway. We usually only get one or two heavy snows a winter. Anything over 6" at a time is rare.
    I would like to keep the price around $600.00. Any suggestions on HP, single vs. double stage? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Jason
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

You guys have been getting hammered this year. A guy I worked with for 25 years move to Post Falls when he retired. Send my pictures every day with a update on the weather. My Son live in Meridian and it has been cold there but not much snow. Don't go to See the Grandkid in the winter can't take cold.

Tom

Comment

• gerti
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
      • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

I got a mid-sized 2-stage thrower and would not get it again: it leaves behind about 1/2". A neighbor has a single stage, and the 'snow screw' or whatever that part is called is a hard rubber kind of material and can be adjusted to basically touch the ground, so it cleans the snow up real well. I think that would be the better choice.

Comment

• Warren
        Established Member
        • Jan 2003
        • Anchorage, Ak
        • BT3000

I plow a hundred yard, dirt and gravel driveway. I would strongly reccommend a moderate sized Honda, two stage for you. The two stage allows you to throw snow into the neighbor's drive and yard should you so desire. More importantly, if you are doing the drive after the plows have done the road, the 2 stage handles the pesky berm a lot easier than a single stage.

If the Honda is in your price range I don't think you can go wrong with the stepless hydrostatic transmission and ease of shear bolt replacement.

They start easy and dependably. Mine spends the winter outside and never needs more than two pulls of the easy pull starter. An electric starter is optional on most models.

Gees, I sound like an ad. Sorry, I'm just really impressed the quality of the Honda.
        A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Here's the Consumer reports summary recommendation

Best for most and capable all around:
          1 Toro $1,250
          2 Yard-Man $1,100, CR Best Buy
          4 Craftsman $950, CR Best Buy

All three offer quick cleaning, easy controls, and good handling for their size, courtesy of a trigger-release drive disengagement and a single-lever joystick for the chute. The Toro (1) offers the smoothest of these chute controls, though the Yard-Man (2) performs as well overall for less. Consider the Craftsman (4) if you’re willing to trade some discharge distance for a lower price. Stronger users may also want to consider the $700 Yard Machines (9), which performs well but lacks trigger releases.

For larger driveways:
          3 Troy-Bilt $1,300

A 30-inch swath helped the Troy-Bilt (3) clear faster than most. Trigger controls and a single-lever chute control add ease.

For lighter jobs:
          13 Honda $750 (gas)
          14 Toro $540 (gas)
          21 Toro $300 (electric)

The four-stroke Honda (13) performs best and has the most accessible chute handle. The Toro (14) is the best value, though its two-stroke engine requires fuel mixing. Both are inexpensive compared with the two-stroke Toro (15), which has a wider swath but costs $900. Consider the electric Toro (21) for smaller driveways. Also consider the Toro (22) if you’re simply clearing light snow from a porch or walkway
          They have a more complete comparison and discussion on their website but you have to be a subscriber (but it's only $5 for one month).
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-21-2007, 02:00 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JTimmons
            • Feb 2005
            • Denver, CO.
            • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

I'll second the 2 stage too. I am sure Honda makes a nice thrower, but I went with the 8.5 HP Troy Bilt at Lowes.

The 8.5 though might be overkill for what you're talking about. I was looking at the 5.5 HP for $599 before buying the 8.5 which got pretty good reviews at Lowes.com. From what I can see the 8.5 and the 5.5 are the same with the exception of the engine size.
            I am completely happy with mine, I got it set to skim the surface to 1/4", the rest of the snow gets shoved aside with a shovel (no scooping and throwing) You can take it down to the surface, but you'll wear the blade quicker.

Another brand I heard is good is Ariens, think HD carries them at least here in Colorado.

Both the Ariens and Troy Bilts have Tecumseh Snow King Engines, one start pull from what have experirenced and both have eletric starters.
            The Ariens 2 stages though come with a steel discharge chute.
            Both the TB and Areins state their tires don't need chains added, I know this true on the TB not sure about the Ariens.
            "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
            -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• Hellrazor
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Abyss, PA
              • Ridgid R4512

We have Ariens at work and we do not have chains on them. They have very aggressive tires. Go with a 2 stage blower too..

Comment

• rg32
                Established Member
                • Jul 2004
                • Barre, Vermont, USA.

We get similar amounts and frequency.
                Although for heavy wet snow it is unstoppable…
                I have a 27” Craftsman 2 stag with a Briggs itech 8.5 hp snow engine that is over kill considering the small amounts of snow we’ve been getting recently.
                The neighbor has a single stag Toro with a 2 cycle engine (mentioned in another post) that gets the job done very well and it takes up far less space for storage and it requires much less maintenance.
                Last edited by rg32; 01-21-2007, 10:53 AM.

Comment

• Kristofor
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2004
                  • Twin Cities, MN
                  • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

I'd vote for the 2-stage as well in general.

During a heavy snowfall I can throw snow from the street ~40 feet to my house and up onto the 2nd story roof (this was an unintentional demonstration when new, and luckily did not break any windows).

It is barely usable with a ~1" snow though. I need it to move at a very high speed to capture enough snow to throw it more than 5-10 feet (I generally just use a shovel for these since it's little work and just as quick). I think the single stagers are opposite in this regard, they work well on light snows but are helpless working on the 2-4 foot solidified plow turd at the end of the driveway.

The "depth of cut" can be adjusted to go straight down to the surface or stay higher like gerti mentioned. I keep mine all the way down which keeps the driveway clear, but means I need to be careful of the expansion joints in the concrete for the sidewalks. This may be something that varries from one brand to another?

My snow blower is 12HP, and that's overkill now that the development I moved into has been built out. When I moved in I could still see farm fields in 3 directions and a 6" snowfall would give a 3' drift in 2 specific spots nearly every time, and one shoulder height once or twice per winter. (of course these days it seems like we may only get snow once or twice per winter )

Kristofor.

Comment

• steve-norrell
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • The Great Land - Alaska
                    • BT3100-1

One question would be the width of your driveway and whether or not you have room for the thrown snow on both sides. The question is how far do you have to throw the snow and how high is the berm you have to throw it over.

I have a 93' long, double-wide driveway, but the neighbor's drive is close enough on one side so that I could easily throw my snow onto his driveway. When the snow piles up, as this year, I have to throw all the snow to the other side, and clear the driveway from one side to the other (instead of from the middle).

I have had snowthrowers from 5 to 11 HP, both single and double stage. The little 5 was a waste, especially when the snow was wet and heavy; the 11 was a bit over-powered and I would NEVER buy a single stage thrower again. I have had Craftsman and Toro; the Toro had the capability is transferring the center of gravity toward the front and that made clearing much easier.

Given that "Anything over six inches is rare." (not a lot of snow). I would recommend a two-stage thrower in the range of about 5 to 8 HP. I have a Craftsman now, but IF I had to replace it, I would get a Toro or a Honda.

Regards, Steve
                    Last edited by steve-norrell; 01-21-2007, 02:22 PM. Reason: Clarification of driveway size

Comment

• Ed62
                      The Full Monte
                      • Oct 2006
                      • NW Indiana
                      • BT3K

I have the 2 stroke Toro. I've had it for 3 or 4 years, and no problem starting, even with old gas (not bad for a 2 stroke). It's not the most powerful there is, but it has served me well. I think it would be a good choice for you considering the situation you have. My driveway is roughly 80' long, and we have a sidewalk about another 40' or so. We normally don't get much more than 6" or 8" at a time, and this year the snowblower has only been fired up 3 times so far (warm, with mostly rain).

Ed
                      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Woodboy
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jul 2004
                        • Lakewood, Colorado.
                        • BT3100

Honda Junky

It's guaranteed not to snow in Colorado again because I just bought a snow blower. I bought a 928TSA Honda for a mountain location with a steep dive and waist deep snow and brought my little underpowered Craftsman 5 hp model home to use in suburban Denver. The Honda is one kick ass machine and throws the snow about a mile. I agonized for years trying to justify the extravagance, but am happy I did it.

A Honda is anything but cheap, but my lawnmower is still going strong after 23 years, as is my old 1986 Accord and my 2003 Pilot. The Craftsman cost $400 used and the Honda cost $2,300. One is barely functional, but the other is a pure joy to use.
                        "Life is tough, where a cup"
                        Dennis Miller

Comment

• JTimmons
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Denver, CO.
                          • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Woodboy
                          It's guaranteed not to snow in Colorado again because I just bought a snow blower.
                          This was my biggest concern buying mine, but that hasn't been the case.

No snow today? Where are you at, Lakewood or up in the mountains?

The predicted amount today was supposed to be 1-2" "light snow" they said, we got about 8" today out where I am at on 104th and Tower in about 4 hours. I noticed here in Broomfield it was the light snow they predicted, though.
                          "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
                          -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• should_have
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Feb 2006
                            • Baltimore, MD
                            • BT3100

Zootroy,

I own a LawnBoy Single Stage 720e (6 1/2hp) Snowthrower (NOTE: same as Toro CCR3650) and would high recommend a single stage snow thrower for your application. I live in Baltimore, MD. When it snows it could be lite or heavy and times over 6" deep. I have yet been disappointed on the capabilities of clearing snow including the snow crud the snow plows leave behind. The snow thrower does and can throw snow 35’ as advertised.

Note, I definitely would get the 6 1/2 hp models, because the smaller hp models don't cut here in Baltimore.

Mike

Comment

• Woodboy
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Jul 2004
                              • Lakewood, Colorado.
                              • BT3100

I live in Lakewood on the side of a ridge that get tremendous wind.
                              "Life is tough, where a cup"
                              Dennis Miller

Comment

Working...