• Show
Clear All
  • DUD
    Royal Jester
    • Dec 2002
    • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

GMAC Test

I received this from My Nephew in Nashville, He stated that 1 in 11 people Who took the test made below 70%. I took it and missed Number 13, and made 95%. See what You can do. Bill

5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I did not miss any. The pedestrian right of way was tricky.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• gmack5
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

Horay!

I got them all right, 100% !!
      If an old man can do it, what's wrong with you youngsters?
      Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
      Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
      George

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

The bright oncoming headlights got me.

A THING OF BEAUTY IS A JOY FOREVER - John Keats

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I got 95%, missing #7. However, I disagree with the "correct" answer:

7. When waiting to make a left turn, you should give the right-of-way to vehicles coming from the opposite direction: (Select one)

a. Until at least two vehicles have passed
          b. Until dangerously close cars have passed
          c. Until all of the cars have passed

I said B, interpreting "dangerously close cars" to mean those I could not turn in front of without a reasonable and prudent margin of safety. The "correct" answer is supposedly C. But what if I can see on oncoming car a quarter mile down the road ... I'm legally supposed to wait until he passes? No way. As the question is worded, the correct answer is "B."
          Last edited by LarryG; 01-18-2007, 11:20 AM.
          Larry

Comment

• cabinetman
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by LarryG
            I got 95%, missing #7. I said B, interpreting "dangerously close cars" to mean those I could not turn in front of without a reasonable and prudent margin of safety. The "correct" answer is supposedly C. But what if I can see on oncoming car a quarter mile down the road ... I'm legally supposed to wait until he passes? No way. As the question is worded, the correct answer is "B."
            Changing direction requires you to yield to oncoming cars. What if that oncoming car decided to "gun" it? What if you misjudged his/her speed or combination of speed and distance?

Comment

• LarryG
              The Full Monte
              • May 2004
              • Off The Back

Originally posted by cabinetman
              Changing direction requires you to yield to oncoming cars. What if that oncoming car decided to "gun" it? What if you misjudged his/her speed or combination of speed and distance?
              All right, what if I can see twice as far, a half mile down the road, like I easily can at night, on the road on which I live? C'mon.

Everything about driving is about judgment. If there's more than enough room to safely pass, and I sit there and wait ... and wait ... and wait ... if there's a policeman in the car behind me, he's going to walk up to my window and tell me to get the h3ll out of the way, to stop holding up traffic.
              Larry

Comment

• TheRic
                • Jun 2004
                • West Central Ohio
                • bt3100

Got 100%!!

Larry I agree with you. I debated about that one for a while. There were a few I thought were "Come on, someone doesn't know that!", others I thought about what about in this instance, or that, it could be one of several answers.
                Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• cabinetman
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

All right, what if I can see twice as far, a half mile down the road, like I easily can at night, on the road on which I live? C'mon.

Everything about driving is about judgment. If there's more than enough room to safely pass, and I sit there and wait ... and wait ... and wait ... if there's a policeman in the car behind me, he's going to walk up to my window and tell me to get the h3ll out of the way, to stop holding up traffic.
                  Yeah, then you get outta the way. In fact, according to your scenario, if you do turn, and the oncoming car has to swerve and crashes into a Dairy Queen hitting 5 people standing in line, and demolishing 2 of those really cool concrete benches with the tile inserts, and the driver suffers permanent stress symptoms that have to be treated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, you would be responsible.

Comment

• TB Roye
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                    • BT3100

100 % now maybe LOML will stop right seat driving.

Tom

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                      Bandsaw Box Momma
                      • Apr 2005
                      • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

I got 85%, and missed #1 and #7. I agree with Larry on #7, around here we can usually see for a ways so I think that one is a judgement type call. But hey I was pretty proud of myself for only missing those.

I think living with a truck driver helped me remember some of those things, because when I drive and he is with me he reminds me of those kinds of things all the time.
                      Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• LarryG
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2004
                        • Off The Back

All right, cabman, tell me this: if you're making a left turn across a traffic lane, and can see an oncoming vehicle, NO MATTER HOW FAR AWAY IT IS, do you sit and wait for him to pass?

The law requires a driver to yield to any vehicle close enough to be a hazard. Which is another way of saying "dangerously close."
                        Larry

Comment

• cabinetman
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

All right, cabman, tell me this: if you're making a left turn across a traffic lane, and can see an oncoming vehicle, NO MATTER HOW FAR AWAY IT IS, do you sit and wait for him to pass?
                          Heck no. I'll cut the S.O.B. off. I don't wait for anybody.

Comment

• crokett
                            The Full Monte
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Mebane, NC, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3000

Larry, ya gotta remember this is an insurance co giving the test. I looked at that one too, then gave the answer I knew they wanted. But in the real world, I am not waiting for all the cars to pass.
                            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• LarryG
                              The Full Monte
                              • May 2004
                              • Off The Back

Good point, David.

Here's the relevant excerpt from my state's Driver's Handbook. This is not the actual traffic code, but it is a plain-language interpretation in an official State publication:

"When making a left turn within an intersection or into an alley, driveway,
                              or private road, you must yield the right of way to any vehicle approaching
                              from the opposite direction when it is within the intersection or so
                              close as to constitute an immediate hazard."

I also did a Google search and found a similar interpretation of the New York State traffic code. The words are a little different but it says exactly the same thing:

"For any left turn, the law requires you to yield to any approaching traffic close enough to be a hazard. Deciding when traffic is too close takes experience and judgment. If you have any doubt, wait for traffic to pass before turning left."
                              Larry

Comment

Working...