• Show
Clear All
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

How does it happen?

How do spammers send email to you and your email address is not on it. Just opened an email for replica watches. It was address to someone I never heard of but ended up in my mail inbox. I use Mozilla and have yahoo as my Email server. Just would like know how this happens probably some kind of program they use with to hide you address.

Tom
  • Greg in Maryland
    Established Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Montgomery Village, Maryland
    • BT3100

Originally posted by TB Roye
    How do spammers send email to you and your email address is not on it. Just opened an email for replica watches. It was address to someone I never heard of but ended up in my mail inbox. I use Mozilla and have yahoo as my Email server. Just would like know how this happens probably some kind of program they use with to hide you address.

Tom
    Tom, instead of putting your email address in the TO field, they put it (along with 100's of others) in the BCC field. BCC means Blind Carbon Copy and is a way to hide the recipient list from others. This is one method, I am sure that there are many others.

If you compose a email message in Yahoo, there is a option to "Add BCC" right above the TO field. Give it a try (email something to yourself) and you'll see how it works.

Sorry you are having spam pains.

Greg

Comment

• gerti
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
      • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Usually they make use of the BCC (Blind Carbon Copy) field. After all they don't want to distribute parts of their address list.

And if the spam software connects to mail servers directly they can make the mail look pretty much how they want it to look.

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

This will probably sound strange, but when I first got a computer (early 90s), I signed up with an ISP. It wasn't long, I received an e-mail that was addressed to someone else, and it was sent some time ago. I brought this to the attention of my local ISP, and they didn't know why I received it, but the person it was addressed to was an ex-employee of theirs. So if you don't want your e-mails to be seen by others, watch what you say in them. They sometimes float around in cyberspace.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
          • Dec 2005
          • Russell, NY, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

I have heard and trully believe it; sending an e-mail is like sending a post card: everyone who can read; will!
          RuffSawn
          Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• Kristofor
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2004
            • Twin Cities, MN
            • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

That's absolutely true. Email content is sent in the clear, anyone at any server or link it passes through could copy/read it. Will anyone want to? Probably just the government, others are not too likely... That said I wouldn't transmit anything that I needed to keep secure without at least some encryption.

Kristofor.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Kristofor
              That's absolutely true. Email content is sent in the clear, anyone at any server or link it passes through could copy/read it. Will anyone want to? Probably just the government, others are not too likely... That said I wouldn't transmit anything that I needed to keep secure without at least some encryption.

Kristofor.
              Yes, that's true. But the sheer volume of it makes it unlikely that people will be scanning at random for random gossip stuff.

Now, if you are a person of interest to the gov't - then yes.

And, if you transmit stuff that a computer can easily be programmed to watch for (like groups of 16 digits..),
              then watch out!
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...