• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Best Free AV Software?

I have received notice that my free AVG 7.1 membership is soon expiring (2/15) and I see no free licenses available from them anymore. That stinks, I was happy with the product. Anyone have any suggestions for other good and free AV software?
    Joe
  • niki
    • Nov 2006
    • Poland
    • EB PK255

Hi Joey

I also got a massage, one month ago that the 7.1 is going to be terminated.

You just have to dowload the new addition 7.5.
    You can download it here
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_avg_antivirus/
    or here
    http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Vir...-10320142.html

niki

Comment

• JoeyGee
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Thanks! I don't know how I missed that.
      Joe

Comment

• jp_spins
        Established Member
        • Aug 2005

If you don't mind doing mail in rebates McAfee Total protection is free after rebates at Comp USA

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...1180&pfp=dec31

Comment

• eezlock
          • Feb 2006
          • Charlotte,N.C.
          • BT3100

free av software

Originally posted by JoeyGee
          I have received notice that my free AVG 7.1 membership is soon expiring (2/15) and I see no free licenses available from them anymore. That stinks, I was happy with the product. Anyone have any suggestions for other good and free AV software?
          I have that same software on my computer. I got the same notice several
          times as well, I talked to my computer man ( he built this machine) we went on the Grisoft site and they do have the FREE upgrades to the 7.1 version
          listed there, look around the site a little it is there. I installed it and is up and running and doing it's job. eezlock

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Besides freeav, I use (think it's symantics), online antivirus to double check any machine that has caught a virus. I've seen them infect the antivirus software before.

Rarely have to do this since I switched os's a few years ago (just a relatives pc).
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• JoeyGee
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • Sylvania, OH, USA.
              • BT3100-1

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
              Besides freeav, I use (think it's symantics), online antivirus to double check any machine that has caught a virus. I've seen them infect the antivirus software before.

Rarely have to do this since I switched os's a few years ago (just a relatives pc).
              I agree 100%. The same goes for malware and adware software. One piece is never enough. Belts and suspenders, I guess.
              Joe

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
                Veteran Member
                • May 2005
                • IL, USA.
                • DELTA 36-675

For a second there I thought the OP was inquiring for Audio Video Software Took a while for me to figure out why the replies were about Antivirus softwares.. It's Friday indeed and I am ready to go home
                Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• sacherjj
                  Not Your Average Joe
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

Don't worry, I thought the same thing. I was trying to remember the open source video editor, when I read about AVG. BTW - I've been happily using AVG for a while now. I seen studies where that found many zero-day viruses, because the bad boys are targeting to get through the bigger companies offerings. I am also sick with all the crap the Norton and McAfee install now. Their software has really gone downhill. I usually only have more problems after installing Norton anymore.
                  Joe Sacher

Comment

• JSCOOK
                    • Sep 2006
                    • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
                    • Ryobi BT3100-1

AVG is my choice for free AV software for the average home office or user ... but for our Engineering office and my home newtork it's McAfee Security Suite 2007, as running "Free" software to protect sensitive information just doesn't seem right IMHO.

McAfee runs some pretty good rebate rograms where you can get "Security Suite 2007" for anywhere between $20-$30 ... watch their website.
                    Last edited by JSCOOK; 01-08-2007, 08:16 PM.
                    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• John Hunter
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                      • BT3000 & BT3100

I am running AVAST 4.7 and love it! http://www.avast.com/
                      John Hunter

Comment

• Stormbringer
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2005
                        • Floral Park, NY
                        • Bosch 4000

Originally posted by sacherjj
                        Don't worry, I thought the same thing. I was trying to remember the open source video editor, when I read about AVG. .
                        Ditto.

Originally posted by sacherjj
                        I am also sick with all the crap the Norton and McAfee install now. Their software has really gone downhill. I usually only have more problems after installing Norton anymore.
                        Quadruple Ditto. Talk about boggind down your machine. Do they even sell any copies of that anymore? Seems like it comes preinstalled on everymachine nowadays...like they're forcing that junk down your throat. That's the first thing I delete off a new machine or when I reformat the drive.

Been a satisfied AVG customer for quite some time.

Comment

• maxparot
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
                          • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I just picked up Norton AntiVirus 3 user pack for $45 at Fry's Electronics. There is presently a $45 rebate on it so it ends up costing the tax.
                          Opinions are like gas;
                          I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• bigdaddyjohn
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2006
                            • Fort Wayne, IN.
                            • Jet 10" Contractor

Check out Clamwin. It's open source so it will always be free. There are daily updates to the virus definitions. It's great.

I am so anti M$ it's not funny. Open Source Software is the way to go. Totally supported by people who want to make life with computers better for all of us. Plus show off their talent at the same time.

bigdaddyjohn

by the way, I build and repair computers a lot and ran my own business doing such for awhile.

Comment

• lrr
                              Established Member
                              • Apr 2006
                              • Fort Collins, Colorado
                              • Ryobi BT-3100

Avast AV software. Free version for home use, they have a corporate version that costs.

Been using it for 2+ years. Excellent! Also used the corporate version at previous job.

You do need to renew once a year, which only requires an email to get a new key. They email you notice, you respond, they send key, you cut and paste. Done for another year.

See www.avast.com
                              Lee

Comment

Working...