• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JBCrooks
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • Seneca, SC

Laptop

Are there any decent laptops for <$600? I saw a couple of options at Circuit City, but are there any other options?
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

depends on your definition of decent.
    If you want a laptop to sit on the kitchen counter and just surf the web while plugged into the wall then you can find a decent one for $500 or less. But if you want Lighter, Faster, More storage, smaller, higher resolution screen then you'll pay for it accordingly.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• HarmsWay
      • Nov 2003
      • Victoria, BC
      • BT3000

How do you feel about Dell? If you're prepared to wait a little, their rotating sales on their entry-level laptop can get you a nice machine for around that price.

Bob

Comment

• tedkitch
        • Jul 2006
        • NE Suburbs, Chicago
        • Ryobi BT3100 What else is there?

At work, we have always purchased Dell and they have been good to us, but for the last 2 years, we are now purchasing Acer notebooks and haven't had an issue with any of them (10 purchased). I've been using one for the longest time and have had 0 issues. They seem to have the most bang for the buck in the notebook market.

You can see what they have here & here.

Hope this helps,
        Ted Kitch

Comment

• rickd
          Established Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Cowichan Bay, 30 mi. north of Victoria, B.C., Canada.
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by HarmsWay
          How do you feel about Dell? If you're prepared to wait a little, their rotating sales on their entry-level laptop can get you a nice machine for around that price.

Bob
          I'll second the Dell recommendation. I have both a Dell desktop and a new Dell laptop - they are both great as far as I'm concerned.

It's pretty hard to beat Dell's price too for comparable laptops!

rick
          rick doyle

Rick's Woodworking Website

Comment

• dlminehart
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • San Jose, CA, USA.

Another issue is whether you want it to run Microsoft's new Vista system. Some of the cheapest laptops don't have good enough specs to do so.
            - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• JTimmons
              • Feb 2005
              • Denver, CO.
              • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

I second an Acer.

I have been using this one since July, use it for both work and home no problems so far. I can't remember the price exactly, but I know it was under $600.

I guess the link isn't working, I have the 5600 Aspire.
              Last edited by JTimmons; 12-13-2006, 08:15 AM.
              "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
              -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• jerrye
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2004
                • Raleigh, NC, USA.
                • BT3000

Acer Aspire

I third the Acer. Did a lot of research before selecting the Aspire 5100 on sale @ Circuit City for ~$550-$600. 1GB RAM, upgradable to 4; 80GB HD; 15.4" screen, the best I've seen; DVD-CD RW; AMD Turion 64 processor. A LOT of machine for the money. 0 issues. Friend in IT recommended it. Acer not well known here, but very popular in Asia & FSU states. 5th in computer mfgs in the world. HTH.
                Jerry

When you think you've built it idiot-proof, they build a better idiot...

Comment

• greencat
                  Established Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Grand Haven Mi

I like the Dells. I think you get a lot for your money and are dependable. If you are interested this site lists special sale prices that are not available directly on the Dell site.
                  Thanks again,
                  Mike

Comment

• sacherjj
                    Not Your Average Joe
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

The way I buy laptops is to monitor three sites:
                    Your search for great deals and coupon savings ends here. Find the best bargains and money-saving offers, discounts, promo codes, freebies and price comparisons from the trusted Slickdeals community.

See the largest selection of expertly-picked deals, coupons, and freebies for your home and business - with price history, product reviews, deal alerts and more.

I find those easier to see deals than other sites, such as fatwallet. Here you will see deals from Dell and others. There are decent laptops for around the $600 mark fairly often. Although another $200 would make it nicer.
                    Joe Sacher

Comment

• ScottGolden
                      Established Member
                      • May 2006

Several points about Dell.

1) I have used them and at time found that at times they use non-standard components. Some boards just need to be Dell or they wont work or fit. Not that much of an issue with laptops as with desktops or servers.

2) There servers are not very well designed compared to HP/Compaq or IBM. In essence they are just fancy desktop machines. I had one server where the memory on the SCSI card would touch another board when the tape backup started. Took for ever to figure out why we were loosing data.

3) They have decided that their support AND now ALL manufacturing is to be sent out of the US. While I am not an isolationist, I do not speak any of the verities of Indian or Pakistani. I also can say that the server level support for HP was done by people in California not over seas.

4) On my last Dell purchase I ordered it with priority delivery. Glad I did or it would have taken longer than the 10 days to show up. Oh yeah they refused to credit me the extra shipping charges.

Overall, Dell has made me a believer in you get what you pay for.
                      (Unless it's found in the our bargain forum that is )

I would look at HP and get one of their accidental damage warrantees with it.

Also http://www.tigerdirect.com has some good deals but the rebates take months to get.

Scott

Comment

• rickd
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Cowichan Bay, 30 mi. north of Victoria, B.C., Canada.
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by ScottGolden
                        3) They have decided that their support AND now ALL manufacturing is to be sent out of the US. Scott
                        Hi,

I'm just curious about your statement that Dell will send ALL manufacturing out of the U.S. Are you sure about that? Late last year, Dell opened a huge new manufacturing plan in North Carolina - Dell's third U.S. manufacturing plant:

"Dell's growth, and the need for our new North Carolina plant, is the result of the direct way we do business and the efficiency, productivity and customer focus of our employees," Mr. Dell said. "Our manufacturing operations give us a competitive advantage and we're confident this new plant will add to that."

A global company, Dell is expanding its operations in the U.S. and around the world to be closer to its customers and continue to deliver the industry's best value and customer experience.

Dell has plants in Poland, to serve Europe; Indonesia and is planning a new one in India to serve Indian clients.

I don't believe Dell has any plans to close their U.S. manufacturing sites as that would completely destroy their business model. I would like to know about any definite information you have that proves otherwise.

rick
                        rick doyle

Rick's Woodworking Website

Comment

• vaking
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2005
                          • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3100-1

I do not like Dells. I got a new laptop for my son about 2 weeks ago. Bought it from Office depot, Lenovo. After all rebates - $600 on a dot. Check the specs below - the only difference is the price:
                          Alex V

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Independence, MO, USA.
                            • bt3100

The lower end laptops have shorter battery life. That allways ends up being a factor.

As for the extended warranty, if this is actually going to be mobile (I don't understand the people who never take them anywhere), then the extended warranty is a GOOD idea on a laptop. As these things get smaller and smaller (first one I had access to was an IBM luggable, with the two floppy drives, about the size of a good suitcase), there has been a dramatic increase in the power connectors breaking off. If it breaks off one way, people are able to hold their power cord in, and charge the battery, that causes arcing and eventually shorts the motherboard. That is when I see most people going in to get it repaired, not before, when it can be.
                            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• crokett
                              The Full Monte
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Mebane, NC, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by ScottGolden
                              3) They have decided that their support AND now ALL manufacturing is to be sent out of the US.

What is your source? I live about an hour away from where Dell just built a plant in NC. And a good friend of mine would be interested to hear that since he works for Dell in Texas.
                              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...