• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Adobe Acrobat Help

I got LOML theatre tickets as a Christmas gift. The tickets were emailed as a .pdf file. I wanted to copy an image out of the file and paste into some greeting card software I have. Not surprisingly the file is password protected against exporting, copying, etc. I tried opening in Word and a few other tricks, none worked. Short of printing and rescanning or just printing and taping the paper into the card, any ideas?
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

David,

To accomplish what you want, you need to have Acrobat Professional. that is a full working version of Acrobat, not just the "Reader" you downloaded for free.

I do scads with Actobat and if you want, you can email me the pdf as an attachment to a regular email, I'll set it up so you can cut/copy the image you want by allowing you the correct promission to do so, or I'll do it for you.

It takes me about 10 minutes, tops.

My direct email address is bruce272@optonline.net

My pleasure to help out.

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by crokett
      I got LOML theatre tickets as a Christmas gift. The tickets were emailed as a .pdf file. I wanted to copy an image out of the file and paste into some greeting card software I have. Not surprisingly the file is password protected against exporting, copying, etc. I tried opening in Word and a few other tricks, none worked. Short of printing and rescanning or just printing and taping the paper into the card, any ideas?
      OPen with Adobe Acrobat reader and position the image in the biggest Acrobat reader window you can manage and hit ALT-PRNTSCRN (two keys simultaneously, the PRNTSCRN will be on the top row on the right side of the keyboard).

This will put the currently selected window into the Windows cut and paste graphics buffer. You can then drop it into MS Word or almost any graphics program to be cropped and then used and/or saved.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Geez Loring.

I knew that trick and totally forgot about it. I was too busy looking for a clever solution to the problem. Thanks, that worked.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
          Veteran Member
          • May 2003
          • Nanuet, NY, USA.
          • BT3100

Well,

That's something you can't do on a Mac

Bruce
          Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Anna
            • Feb 2006
            • CA, USA.
            • BT3100

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
            Well,

That's something you can't do on a Mac

Bruce
            Sorry, can't resist.

If you're using OS X, it's Shift-Command-A for selection, Shift-Command-W for window, Command-Z for screen. If that doesn't work, just open Grab which should be in the Utilities folder and click on Capture to see what the keyboard shortcuts are for your machine.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
              Veteran Member
              • May 2003
              • Nanuet, NY, USA.
              • BT3100

Anna,

Just couldn't let you "one up" me.

Use Command Shift 4 and you'll get a cross hair. Use your mouse to draw a marquee (rectangular only) around the object you want to make a screen shot of. As soon as you remove your finger from the mouse, a screen grab will be made and placed on your desktop labled Picture 1.jpg. You're allowed to make 9 shots before you write over the first one.

Now for the real magic. If you own Photoshop, open the jpg in it and under "image" on the top menu bar, choose "Image size", change the resolution to 288, thats 4X the 72 DPI of your screen shot, and choose Bilinear next to resample image.

This will give you (after a bit of sharpening) an excellent screen shot that wil print out as good or better than most scanned images.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as a bit of a wise a**, but what I was originally referring to was the ability to use Alt-Printscrn. I know just enough windows to know I don't want to know any more.

And this is coming from someone that can program in Unix, Postscript and Lingo (Adobe Director's interactive language).

Sorry for leting my ego get in the way, there's tons of stuff I still don't know.

Bruce
              Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• dlminehart
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • San Jose, CA, USA.

Or, on Mac OS X, use the free utility pdf-Recover to unprotect the PDF page (free version only does a single page). Then, open the PDF with Preview, and FIle > Export as JPG or whatever.
                - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...