• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

$%@#&% - dropped by drill

I 'had' a DW988 drill/driver/hammerdrill that I was using on 2nd floor deck. Had it sitting on the rail and knocked it off and watched it hit the sidewalk below. Man, did that hurt. It landed on the screwdriver bit, which is bent, and the motor is pooched out the back of the housing. Right now, don't have a small Torx to see if I can get it back together.

I would rather buy a new tool than a replacement tool at this time, especially since it was less than a year old and batteries in great shape.

Just makes me mad it happened. Told LOML that it was her fault. She asked why and I said 'somebody has to be blamed and it's your turn'.

Time to hit amazon and eBay and look for a replacement.

Ken
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

second story balconies with flat railings have probably cost the life of more than one drill, if that's any comfort knowing...
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• maxparot
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
      • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

When you get your new drill get a holster or belt hook to go with it. If you wear it you can't knock it down.
      Opinions are like gas;
      I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Originally posted by lago
        Just makes me mad it happened. Told LOML that it was her fault. She asked why and I said 'somebody has to be blamed and it's your turn'.

Ken
        Depending on you tone of voice, that drill is it great shape compared to what your wife will do. Better duck and cover for a while, they remember.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by maxparot
          When you get your new drill get a holster or belt hook to go with it. If you wear it you can't knock it down.
          All tools should have belt clips - even table saws. Did you ever learn a lesson by leaving a tool on the rear bumper of the truck, DAMHIKT. I can never remember where I was supposed to remember where I left a tool.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• jseklund
            Established Member
            • Aug 2006

Hope you can get it fixed! If not, make sure you give it a proper burial- 21 guns and all...
            F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• germdoc
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Omaha, NE
              • BT3000--the gray ghost

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
              Depending on you tone of voice, that drill is it great shape compared to what your wife will do. Better duck and cover for a while, they remember.
              Yeah, I agree--my wife would "drill me a new one" if I tried that line on her, and I suspect it would require major surgery to remove the drill from my posterior orifice.
              Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• scorrpio
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Batteries, bah! Corded for the win. My trusty 12-year old Dewalt drill has survived a few tumbles from up high cause it got a 6-foot tail that always manages to snag on something - and then I just hoist it back up.

Hope you can fix it

Comment

• Rob R
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • West, Michigan.

either a belt clip or a short tether will save you a couple hundred in the future. i have found a tether to be a better bet when using the drill high up. i hate holstering it everytime, but the tether works like the corded version, just hoist it back up.

rob

Comment

• vaking
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2005
                    • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by scorrpio
                    Batteries, bah! Corded for the win. My trusty 12-year old Dewalt drill has survived a few tumbles from up high cause it got a 6-foot tail that always manages to snag on something - and then I just hoist it back up.

Hope you can fix it
                    Completely agree. I don't work out of the truck and all of my good tools are corded. For me all cordless tools are just for convinience and will never buy expensive cordless tool. My only cordless is an 18V drill, it is a cheap chinese which I paid under $40 with 2 batteries and it is on its 3rd year serving me well. If it dies one day - I will survive without big regrets.
                    Alex V

Comment

• agent511
                      Established Member
                      • Jun 2005
                      • Philadelphia
                      • TS3650

I dropped an air conditioner out a second floor window once! It fell about 15 feet onto the porch roof below. It appeared to me to be falling in slow motion as I watched it go. I grabbed the cord as it went by - and ended up with a detatched cord for a souvenir, as it pulled out of its connections to the AC. As I was in a stunned state of mind, I pulled up on the cord, hoping against hope to somehow see an AC on the of the line!!

The amazing news is that I reattached the cord, and other than some minor cosmetic damage, the AC runs fine!
                      darksider

Comment

• scorrpio
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Hah, some things you can catch by the cord, some you can't. After a couple close calls, I always install the AC housing first, and once it's properly secured, I slide in the innards and fasten up. Most large window units are constructed with this in mind.

And if I watched an AC drop to a porch roof, I'd be more worried about the roof...

Comment

• agent511
                          Established Member
                          • Jun 2005
                          • Philadelphia
                          • TS3650

Small unit, no housing - all in one. The roof was fine too. It must have landed rather flat as opposed to on a point. The front plastic grill cracked - I had to glue it back up.
                          darksider

Comment

• lago
                            Established Member
                            • Nov 2003
                            • Lago Vista, TX.

I picked up a bit today that fits the screws and it looks like nothing was broken. However, a bunch of small gears fell out and not I can't stuff it all back together. Plan on taking it to the Service Center and have them put it back together and check it out. Makes me feel better that I don't have to buy another one.

BTW - I have tried out the holster. This is an 18v drill and the weight just about pulled my pants down. If I could get the belt over by belly, it might work.

As far as dropping things, how about this. My house is a 3 story house and we have bird feeders on the upper deck. We had a problem with squirrels cleaning out the feeders in no time at all. I chased one and it tried to jump to a tree but missed. He fell about 33', landed with a splat, and took off running for the nearest tree. Couldn't belive that it could fall that far and still move.

Ken

Comment

• scorrpio
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2005
                              • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Originally posted by lago
                              BTW - I have tried out the holster. This is an 18v drill and the weight just about pulled my pants down. If I could get the belt over by belly, it might work.
                              Ken
                              I wear this when working:

My drill has a built-it clip that fits snugly into one of brackets on that thing, but you can easily fit a drill holster on it. Like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Leathercraft-5020-Cordless-Holster/dp/B00004YZM2

Comment

Working...