• Show
Clear All
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Need help on Christmas gift

I'd really like a lady's perspective on this, but I'll take it from guys too.

We have a faucet in the kitchen that takes forever to get hot water out of it (maybe 4 - 5 minutes). LOML is *always* complaining about it. She does a lot of cooking, and she wants hot water NOW! I found an "instant hot water" thingee at HD that I know she'd love to have. She doesn't even know they exist. One part of me says to get it for her for Christmas, but another part says it is not personal enough. Maybe I should get something else, and get that after Christmas. But the problem is I don't know what else to get. What do you think? Should I get it, or buy her clothes or another ring?

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

You don't get it for Christmas. It is like buying her a vaccuum cleaner. For you it is a great gift for her, probably not. You might, and I say might, get her a gift card to HD for enough $$$ to purchase it. Then she can either get it, or use the gift card for something else.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Anna
      • Feb 2006
      • CA, USA.
      • BT3100

I'll stick my head in on this one:

With the caveat that she's a typical woman, then the answer is: No no no no no. You might as well get her a blender, too.

Get her jewelry or something more personal. Clothes are iffy because from the male perspective, you need the equivalent of a rocket scientist to figure out the sizes for women's clothing. It's also very personal. So unless you are very confident about knowing her style and choice of clothes, you might want to stay away.

You can never go wrong with jewelry, unless you have absolutely no idea what she likes. Something simple and sparkly, and diamonds will always go well. An alternative would be her birthstone. You can get her a necklace if she already has many rings. Or a bracelet. Even a nice watch will work.

Does she like to read? Maybe you can get her a first edition of a favorite book . If she's into photography, a nice digital camera. If she cooks, a good set of cookware. Some women might be sensitive to that, too, although I'd love to get a set of copper pots and pans. You can also put home videos of the kids on DVD, or make a calendar with the kids' pictures on their birthdays. Something that's one of a kind and you've spent time on will always work.

The present does not have to be expensive, just that you thought about her and what she really wants. And believe me, unless the circumstances are very different, she wants something else besides the water heater.

Then get her the water heater later on.

Comment

• GeekMom
        • Dec 2004
        • Bonney Lake, WA.
        • Shopsmith Mark V

I'll stick my two cents' worth in here, too. I agree with Anna. The water heater is more of a home improvement (especially if she doesn't know it exists) that would make her life more convenient. If you should decide to move, the water heater would probably stay with the house.

I'll add a couple more suggestions to Anna's list, too. Does she like to do crafts? Maybe a gift card to Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc. (I'm assuming that you know as much about her hobbies and tools as she does yours ). What about a weekend together doing things you both enjoy? If you do the planning and packing it shows a lot of thoughtfulness. Does she enjoy theater or music? Maybe a couple of tickets to a show she might like. If you don't enjoy it and can't pretend to be excited, she can take a friend to share the experience.
        Last edited by GeekMom; 11-21-2006, 12:23 AM.
        Karen
        <><

Comment

• JTimmons
          • Feb 2005
          • Denver, CO.
          • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

I am going to differ with everyone, aside from woodworking cooking is my second hobby. Typical woman stuff set aside, to a person who loves to cook this would be an excellent gift.
          Look at this way, would you be upset if their was a new PM2000 under the tree? It's a tool that will surely come attached with plenty of honey-do's along with it. Would you mind if it's for something you love to do?
          Hot water spigot above the stove is what I'd like to have and wouldn't be a bit upset by it being a Christmas present, but again it's a second hobby for me.
          "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
          -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Ed,

I missed the part about her doing a lot of cooking. This might be a good gift for her. BUT and I mean BUT, it MUST be working Christmas morning. Like you don't say anything but ask her to get a cup of hot water. If she is smart enough she will recognize the real gift being your effort to get it installed with her knowing nothing about it. Plus she doesn't have to wait for you to get around to installing it. I'd still have something else as the backup, just in caser.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

The most serious aspect of this time of the year is that my wife has four gift receiving dates in a short period. In December, Christmas. In January, her birthday and our anniversary. And in February, Valentines Day. My wife and I have an incredible relationship. I would buy the hot water thing and have her birthstone set into the front of it. Really, our gift giving is very unique. I buy her hand tools, and she buys me power tools.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

Thanks for the replies. I really thought it might be a good gift because, no doubt, I would have to buy at the least, a small table top drill press to install it. Seriously though, she'll get the water heater, but probably after the big day. She gets to be happy twice! Looks like she gets another ring.

Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• scorrpio
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Wayne, NJ, USA.

A note: are you sure you are looking at the right thing? There are two kinds:
                  1. Undercounter water heater that supplies standard (~120F) hot water to the main faucet. It does not need any new counter holes or anything - just pipe incoming hot through it, plug it in, and you have hot water in faucet the moment you turn it on. From your description, that is what your wife wants.

2. Hot water dispenser. This is a totally different beast, it is a separately mounted spigot that delivers 190F water so you don't have to wait for a cup of tea. While a nice gimmick to have, it is a far cry utility-wise from having instant hot at main faucet.

Oh, and if it takes that long to get there, looks like you are losing a lot of money through your water pipes. Might be a good idea to get some insulation and go over those pipes thoroughly if you can access them. A foam sleeve, and foil tape over it.

On the subject of gifts - really, you know your wife best, you should have a better idea as to what to get her. If you are blessed with a practical person who knows what is a practical value and what is a shiny trinket, hot water will beat any jewelry.

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                    Bandsaw Box Momma
                    • Apr 2005
                    • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

I know that Ed has already made his decision but I thought that I would give my opinion. I know that most women would like jewelery or something like it and don't get me wrong but I would love to have a 3 stone diamond ring or an Anniversary band for a gift but I know that I am not going to get it. Which is fine with me, I personally would love a new faucet or an instant water faucet or something else for the house or even something that I would use in the shop. But that is just me. I have been told that I am not you typical woman because I would love to get a vacuum or something else for Christmas or my birthday.

But like it was said before if you have been married for any length of time you would what your spouse wants.
                    Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• Anna
                      • Feb 2006
                      • CA, USA.
                      • BT3100

Guys, I know this doesn't need pointing out, but women are different from men. Really. There are some women that may think that getting a power tool for Christmas is really cool, or a water heater for that matter, but that's more the exception than the rule, and you can count yourself lucky to have one of those.

I was reading the reviews on a 3/8"-chuck cordless drill I'm planning to buy, and everyone was giving it four or five stars except for one person. Her reason: She bought it for her husband for Christmas. She got the confirmation and everything, but it turned out it ran out of stock, so they sent her a 1/2"-chuck drill (same brand) instead as a replacement. She was really indignant that they sent her the wrong item without asking her first if it's okay, so she returned the drill and got a refund (plus left a bad review on Amazon).

Now how many of you guys would have had a big smile on your face to get a half-inch chuck cordless drill from DeWalt instead of the 3/8" one instead? For the price of the 3/8"? I would have loved the half-inch drill, but I guess that lady didn't really know much about power tools.

So reverse the positions, and see what a man might buy for a woman from HIS perspective.

But like everyone else said, Ed, you know your wife best. And as long as the "thought" comes through (as in "it's the thought that counts"), it'll probably be okay.

By the way, this is coming from a woman who got a lathe, a compressor, an iPod and a GPS for Christmas, and a miter saw for my birthday. I'm not complaining because I love tools and gadgets. Right now my husband and I are arguing about getting more drills (I want more, he says I have enough). But again, there's a reason there are few women in this forum.

Okay, will shut up now.
                      Last edited by Anna; 11-21-2006, 10:49 AM. Reason: Added last two paragraphs.

Comment

• scmhogg
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                        • BT3000

Ed,

I concur with "no household items as gifts unless specifically requested."

I had a similar problem with the slow hot water in my kitchen. I bought a Laing Autocirc pump, and it works fine. You do not need to re-plumb your house. This unit uses the cold water pipes to distribute the hot water. Takes less than an hour to install.

www.lainginc.com/

I bought mine on ebay for just over $100.

Steve
                        I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I've been married for 29 years. Best to get her a romantic or at least specifcally requested gift for Christmas. Get her the heater today for no reason at all (or call it a thanksgiving present) and she'll love you for that.
                          or even two weeks before or after Christmas.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gsmittle
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2004
                            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                            • BT 3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                            I've been married for 29 years. Best to get her a romantic or at least specifcally requested gift for Christmas. Get her the heater today for no reason at all (or call it a thanksgiving present) and she'll love you for that.
                            or even two weeks before or after Christmas.
                            +1 on that! If she notices, tell her you installed it because you knew she needed it. Then jewelry or whatever as the Christmas gift.

My own Better Half is a bit odd (she says the same thing about me). She likes either practical stuff or quality shiny stuff. She left a jewelry catalog open to a nice ruby necklace--guess I know which it will be this year....

g.
                            Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                            Bill & Ted

Comment

• John Hunter
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2004
                              • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                              • BT3000 & BT3100

Never give her a home improvement article. Get her a new router.
                              John Hunter

Comment

Working...