• Show
Clear All
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Quality??

Not sure if this should have been posted here or on the bargain alert forum.

We have a HF not too far from us, but I've never bought anything from them. Looking at their flyers, I see a lot of things that have prices seeming too good to be true. So my thinking is that the overall quality of their merchandise leaves a lot to be desired. Are there any of their power tools that are worth considering if they won't be subjected to heavy use? Does anyone have something like this they're happy with? I know the saying "Buy the best tools you can, and you'll only cry once". But what if it's something you'll only use once in a while?

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/
  • final_t
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003

The DC and 14" BS are considered a good buy from HF.
    I have the hang-on-a-wall rotery tool and it's pretty good for the price.
    I do buy a lot of latex gloves from them - they actually are *better* than what Lowes sells, and cheaper.
    The cotton power tool covers are very nice, as are the general use tarps.
    Other than the DC, the only other power tool I've bought was their little fixed speed lamnite trimmer, before Bosch & Rigdid had their VS models out. It was ok for the $10 I spent on it, but never liked the body lock on it (similar to Ridgid's model).
    WMMV.

Comment

• bigfoot
      Forum Newbie
      • Sep 2006

I have bought an angle grinder which is more than suitable for my uses, and a touchup spray gun and an airbrush that also suit my needs and were cheap, which makes the wife happy.
      The voices made me do it.

Comment

• maxparot
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
        • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

My rule is to never pay full price for a HF tool. Most of their tools are reasonable values when on sale. I'll try to buy on sale and with a coupon. Doing this has served me well over the last 20 years of being a HF customer. That said some of the tools they sell are total junk while others are jewels. Use your own good judgement and you'll do fine purchasing from HF.
        Last edited by maxparot; 11-19-2006, 02:45 AM.
        Opinions are like gas;
        I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

It's good to hear that they have some things worth buying. Thanks for the replies.

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• MilDoc

Have to agree with the above. I have the HF angle grinder, dust collector, F-clamps, and others. I consider a lot of their products Chinese junk, but many are well worth the cost. But I wait for anything I want to buy to go on sale. never have to wait long!

P.S. -- never buy HF "painters tape." Pure junk!

Comment

• Ed62
              The Full Monte
              • Oct 2006
              • NW Indiana
              • BT3K

Originally posted by MilDoc
              P.S. -- never buy HF "painters tape." Pure junk!
              Another good tip. Thank you.

Ed

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

I bought a pancake compressor from them for my nailers and for the portability. It needed one of their $5 regulators, because the tank doesn't have one, however, it has been my most borrowed tool.
                I believe several people here have also bought their Jointer, it seems to receive decent reviews for it's price.
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• jhart
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

A while back, someone had posted a HF list that rated various HF stuff. Anyone remember that and still have the list?
                  Joe
                  "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• crokett
                    The Full Monte
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Mebane, NC, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Ed62
                    It's good to hear that they have some things worth buying. Thanks for the replies.

Ed
                    Be careful. Quality is spotty. I've had bad experiences with HF power tools as has my Dad. I decided not to shop at HF anymore after he had to return a compressor twice before getting one that worked.
                    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Mrk67mark
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Aug 2006
                      • Ocean Springs, MS
                      • Grizzly G0478 hybrid

Are HF and Cummins pretty much the same? There have been Cummins truck sales around here since Hurricane Katrina and I was thinking of picking up the 1hp DC for $99. BTW they have 4 BT3100's reconditioned for $199.

Comment

• John Hunter
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2004
                        • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                        • BT3000 & BT3100

I have the following HF tools that I am very happy with.

1. 2 HP dust collector.
                        2. 14" Band Saw
                        3. 6" Jointer
                        4. 6" Belt 9" Disc Sander.
                        5. 40" Lathe
                        6. 8" Grinder
                        7. Numerous air framing nailer, brad and pin nailer guns.

Also love many of their clamps.
                        John Hunter

Comment

• Knottscott
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2004
                          • Rochester, NY.
                          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I love the Pittsburg bar clamps...they go on sale about twice a month for 1/2 price. I'm also pleased with the mortiser to $100, but I wouldn't pay more. Their routers look scary cheap, and I'm fairly concerned about the router bits too...I've seen carbide cutters leave a bit and embed itself in a wall. The jointer and DC have it's fans, as does the BS, but I read more complaints about the BS than the DC or jointers. I've even read some good things about their $300 contractor saw...it goes on sale for ~ $240 sometimes, but I'm not sure I"d want to fuss with it. Their digital calipers are an awesome bargain on sale.

Just approach each item with some skepticism and make an individual decision on each...if you're gut's telling you not to get it...don't. If it's not a critical item and the price is good, give it a try...their return policy is very generous. Watch their flyers and coupons and you'll save alot.
                          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• ironhat
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2004
                            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Just my two cents worth. I tend to buy here when the item is *not* intended for hard use... Spare tools for having on hand at the cabin or an occassional use tool. I do have the DC which included none of the appropriate hardware which was easily remedied with about $2 worth of bolts, nuts and washers. The biggest downside for me, at least, is that the closest one is one hour away and by the time I can get there on an off day the clamps on sale are gone.
                            Later,
                            Chiz
                            Blessings,
                            Chiz

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Ed62
                              Not sure if this should have been posted here or on the bargain alert forum.

We have a HF not too far from us, but I've never bought anything from them. Looking at their flyers, I see a lot of things that have prices seeming too good to be true. So my thinking is that the overall quality of their merchandise leaves a lot to be desired. Are there any of their power tools that are worth considering if they won't be subjected to heavy use? Does anyone have something like this they're happy with? I know the saying "Buy the best tools you can, and you'll only cry once". But what if it's something you'll only use once in a while?

Ed
                              About every 6 months someone starts a "What's the best bargains from HF" thread. They're hard to searcch for because the search engine does not like two letter acronyms. Here's a couple:

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ighlight=items
                              http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ighlight=items
                              Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-19-2006, 09:21 PM.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...