• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stick
    • Sep 2003
    • Grand Rapids, MB, Canada.
    • BT3100

Fuel Mileage

We've touched on this before. I thought some may be interested. As you know, I parked my 1990 Ford F150 because it is so ****ed expensive to keep running. I drive a grain truck with a 8V92 Detroit and a 13 speed overdrive. I commute 450 miles each way to work. I normally run right on speed limit, which up here is 100km/hr, or 62 mph. Fuel consumption unloaded at 1900 rpm is right around 5 US gallons per hour. It makes no difference whatsoever how fast or how slow I travel, as engine rpm is always the same. Running at 62 I am only in 12th gear, but if i run it up to 75 I can hit 13th and still stay at the same rpm. Over 450 miles, the difference is 1.2 hours, which means 6 gallons of fuel. If i run it up to 85mph, I burn nearly 6 gallons US per hour. Another 1.4 gallons. No longer economical.

My F150 can't even begin to touch that kind of mileage. it has never once gotten over 10mpg, and it's a 302 with 5spd OD standard, 3.54 gears. I thought that combination would be ok, but it BITES! And.....every time it sees a dealership, it costs $800 or more. Just too ****ed expensive to keep running. Can't afford a new truck. So, I'll attempt to wear out a 1975 grain truck. Not in my lifetime! Haharrrrr!
  • Jim Boyd
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
    • Delta Unisaw

If I had to commute 450 miles to get to work I'd find a different job or move closer to work
    Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I hope this is 450 mi each way per week? Otherwise there's no time left for anything!

So at 75 mph we're talking possibility of speeding ticket (possible economic disincentive) and 6 hours each way or
      62 mph and no tickets but 7.2 hours each way
      and thus 60-70 gallons of gas per week - what's the canadian gasoline prices like? $3/gal or $180-210 per week?

since you're only getting like 13-15 mpg and you drive so much it would be probably economic to
      1) change jobs. You could take a pay cut of $500-700/ month with a 5-mile commute and still come out ahead, not to mention having 56 more hours of WW time per month (like Two weekends)
      2) rent an apartment near work for the weekdays and drive home weekends
      3) buy a very fuel efficient car.~45 mpg would use only 20 gals per week and save you $120-150 per week or $480-600 per month which would be
      payments on the new car. Not to mention more environmentally friendly.

Just seems sort of obvious to me.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• onedash
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2005
        • Maryland
        • Craftsman 22124

An F150 that gets less than 10 MPG???? I have a Chevy Silverado that gets about 17MPG and a TrailBlazer that gets about 15 mpg. (city) They both do better on the highway...Not a lot.
        450 miles each way??? Thats far.....To far to ride a bike i think....
        YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Liberty, SC, USA.
          • Ridgid TS3650

That's low milage for the 150, I believe. I have a '96 Dodge Ram with 5 speed auto, 318 engine and get 14-16 just driving around on short trips, around 18-20 on the Interstate and longer trips.
          'Course, the F150 is a FORD!!! ;-D

Comment

• John Hunter
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Lake Station, IN, USA.
            • BT3000 & BT3100

That is about the same miles per gallon that my Chevy 1 ton duly 4X4 with a 454 engine gets. Your 150 should get much better MPG.
            John Hunter

Comment

• Russianwolf
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
              • One of them there Toy saws

I'd bet I get better than that in my 1970 Jeep J4000 and it has a 350 and is geared so low that I can't use first at all. Okay maybe it's close.

But something on the setup on that 150 is wrong, you should be seeing about 15 on it minimum on the highway. Problem is you have to find someone that can figure out what, the dealership doesn't want to fix it so you'll keep bringing it back.

What problems keep sending it to the shop?
              Mike
              Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• dick541
                Forum Newbie
                • Nov 2004
                • Stoneville, north carolina, USA.
                • BT3100

I think I will stay with my Prius, I am getting 52 MPG at any speed, or any load. Ran up to Phila back in May and got 57.6, for 480 miles.
                dick

Comment

• ed2kayak
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Oct 2006

Subaru Forester 5 sp avg. fuel mileage since purchase 27mpg.

Comment

• beerdavis
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Feb 2006

I drive a 1983 mercedes diesel wagon. I get 27 mpg going 80 mph running biodiesel made from chicken fat. I get good mpg and I stick it to the big oil companies and the wackos in the middle east and Venezuela.

Comment

• Whit
                      Established Member
                      • Apr 2003
                      • Denton, Tx, USA.
                      • BT3000, BT3100

F150 mileage

There must be something wrong. I have a 2004 F150 extended cab with the 7' bed(think that is the length), 5.? engine, 5 sp OD automatic. Have a fiberglas topper on it and got 16-17 mpg on a trip to Colorado this past summer. Drove 70 in Texas and 75 on I-25 in Colorado. Was suprised that it was that good. Expected it to be about 14-15.
                      You guys that are knocking the Ford. You do know that Ford stands for Fix Or Repair Daily. :-) :-)
                      Have been very pleased with mine. Is much quieter than the older Fords. they have added extra insulation.
                      Whit

Comment

• os1kne
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Atlanta, GA
                        • BT3100

I don't mean to state the obvious, but there's something wrong with your Ford. My dad's work has around 15 Ford service trucks, most of the trucks are driven close to 50k miles per/year. Their trucks tend to get around 13-15 mpg on the hwy. Most of these trucks are heavier than the typical truck off the lot, with tool boxes, small cranes, compressors, etc. mounted in the bed - and most of the driving is done with a load - often in the mountains.

They do get worse mileage when towing, but still way better than the 5 mpg that you've been seeing. Now, their trucks are all newer than 1990, so I'm sure that newer/better tech gets them some improvement from 1990 (they tend to sell and get new at around 250k-300k miles, but not because the truck won't run any more). Even 10 years ago, when they still had 1990 trucks, they were still getting 10+ mpg. (I'm not meaning to be a cheerleader for Ford, because they have had 1 or 2 bad trucks over the years, but all in all they've done well.)

Personally, I had a 1986 Bronco with the 302 and auto trans. that I sold a few years ago. I always got 12+ mpg with it, even with 140k miles.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I wish you luck.
                        Bill

Comment

• JR
                          The Full Monte
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Eugene, OR
                          • BT3000

Hey, Stick, maybe you messed up the conversion from liters to imperial gallons. There's no shame in it. If it can happen to Air Canada it can happen to you!
                          http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-69-240-...y/gimli_glider

JR
                          JR

Comment

• gsmittle
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2004
                            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                            • BT 3100

My beloved 94 Suburban (5.7 l) gets a whopping 10 mpg, city or highway. At least I know I'll make a stop every 430 miles.... Towing I drop 1 mpg.

Too expensive to drive, too broke to buy something else....

g.
                            Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                            Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...