• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Need Opinions On Posted Subject Matter

I've read posts on forums that are relevant to shop size, layout, machinery, and tools used. There's also been posts about employment/profession and hobbies. Some of these entail details and pictures to elaborate on just about any detail, right down to brand names, and model numbers. On one of these posts someone replied that he would not do that because it makes it easy for the criminally inclined. I'm not suggesting that the practice of posting personal information or property would be at risk but it could be. Granted, it's an educational tool for some to see how a shop is laid out, or what equipment will fit and work where.

In reality, it isn't hard to find out where someone works or lives with the search tools on the internet. I thought about that guy's post and am looking for feedback on this subject. Keep in mind, that some of these posts cover complete shop layouts, showing machinery, tools, shelving and cabinetry, and what shelf this or that is kept. I don't mean this in a sarcastic way, but the "show-off" or "gloating" type of post is one that does garner many responses and the interaction is a good read.

Today's thief is probably educated in tactics that we take for granted. For example: Someone doesn't even have to register in a forum to view it. With some limited personal data provided, plans can be made in just about any state of the US, and Canada, or anywhere. I've been in heated banter with individuals on forums about what is referred to as "hidden profiles". I am an absolute proponent of this practice. The contention of "having something to hide" to me takes on serious meaning. I feel that if someone wants to know something about you, they can email or PM you and find out a lot more than the limited info of a members profile. Besides, those checking your profile are doing so without your knowledge. Maybe the answer to that one is to provide a list of those persons checking your profile.

I'm not trying to be a killjoy. I would like to hear your thoughts.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

I agree that on a forum the size of this one everyone is not going to be honest. What I like to know when reponding to a post is the first name or nickname of the person I am responding to. Seems less 'electronic', and more personal, to me. Sometimes it helps to answer a question knowing the state or area a person is in.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• jseklund
      Established Member
      • Aug 2006

I'm not trying to appear stupid, but I honestly don't worry about it as much as some. I worry more about credit card offers, checks, and information on paper. I know it sounds funny, but I shred all of it and then some and have little fear of the internet.

I'm pretty open, and if someone wants my information they can get it by listening to me online or talking in a store, etc. How many times do you give your phone number to order pizza, use a credit card in a store, show your ID, etc.

Now that doesn't mean I'm trying to be stupid either. I try to do whatever I can to secure sensitive information (money, etc) both online and in the real world. But the bottom line is, just because it's "online" doesn't make it any more or less dangerous than the real world IMO. Just be smart and careful, but not overly cautious/scared.
      F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• Warren
        Established Member
        • Jan 2003
        • Anchorage, Ak
        • BT3000

A lot of people are overly concerned about protecting public information. Social Security numbers, telephone numbers, etc, and even bank account numbers are not easily protected. Think of all the people who have legal access to such information.

Simply being a member of the work force makes such information extremely vulnerable. Having an accountant puts sensitive information in front of secretaries, CPA's and their various employees. Entering a raffle, cashing a check, applying for a discount card at a retailer, having a post office box, the list is too long to enumerate, puts information out into the general public. Then consider how little security governments have with regard to protecting information and you understand that protecting personal information is a losing battle.

Should I buy a cross shredder for the garbage, or burn everything before sending it to the land fill? Do I have information regarding my property on file with the city for tax purposes? Is there a license plate on my vehicle? Do I destroy hard drives when I trash or sell a computer? How many cell phones have I misplaced? What did I sell in the last yard sale and how much information got out? Why did I have a yard sale and allow the entire population to case my garage or possessions?

Nope! Can't be done. You can't protect such information from people who want it. Heck, you can't even protect it from people who don't want it.
        A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• maxparot
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
          • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

First I don't think our profiles include our address so if you feel like checking my home town for people with my name you have a lot of work to do.

Secondly informantion is out there for the taking no matter what I do. So in response to that I only do business with institutions that assume liability for having and protecting my personal data. That way if something happens I prove who I am and they make good on any unauthorized deductions or entries to my account.
          Third I carry insurance to protect myself from theives.
          Forth my home and shop a well secured using locks, alarm systems, dogs and owners that are always well armed.
          Finally for anyone out there that may think be of the dishonest type or think they have been challenged I'll just say "Give me an excuse punk!" To the rest of you enjoy your day I know I will.
          Opinions are like gas;
          I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
            Veteran Member
            • May 2003
            • Nanuet, NY, USA.
            • BT3100

Really simple stuff...

Treat ANYTHING on ANY computer with an internet connection as if you painted that info on a 4x8 plywood sheet and placed it on your front lawn.

In most cases, the "bad" guys already have the info they want about you and worrying about it won't change it.

Unless you work for the NSA or one of the other alphabet Gov't agencies, most people are not going to take the time or effort to "undelete" info on a reformatted hard drive. Most of us are not that important. Besides, if you're really worried (like if you're into something illegal) you can always remove your hard drive and destroy it prior to selling or dumping that old computer.

Oh and BTW, it would be down right neighborly if we all, at the least, included our first names in our profiles. makes it easier that to reply to a "screen name".

Bruce
            Last edited by Bruce Cohen; 10-28-2006, 12:50 PM.
            "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
            Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
              Veteran Member
              • May 2003
              • Nanuet, NY, USA.
              • BT3100

Hey Max,

You just told all of us that you own firearms and we already know where you live

Bruce
              Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• ChrisD
                • Dec 2004
                • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

On posting photos of tools and shops: I don't need to post photos of my pathetic setup on the Internet to be concerned that I might be a target for thieves (in fact, it may actually work as a deterrent). All I need to do is power up a couple of tools and any lowlife within a pretty good radius of my house will know that I have some stuff that they might want to steal.

On sharing info about oneself: I can't see how sharing one's name and general location in an online forum like this can compromise one's safety and security. I agree with Bruce: there's just something about being able to address members by their real first names whether it's the Kens of South Carolina or the Larrys of Alabama or the Chris Dela Penas of Illinois. I think it's a huge part of the reason why people come and keep coming back to this place.

There have been discussions here on what we do, where we live, and even what we look like (what happened to that last one, anyway?). As far as I know, none of these threads have turned into threats. Please let me know if I'm wrong.
                The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• DUD
                  Royal Jester
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

I don't post many pictures, but everyone has seen my picture, I think, Know I live in Jonesboro, AR. They may not know about the little dog in the back yard, but they are learning.

I like to be able to call the person by name. If you don't list Your last name or town, just 1st name and state, it is a nicer way to visit on the forum. My Perspective, Bill
                  5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• maxparot
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
                    • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
                    Hey Max,

You just told all of us that you own firearms and we already know where you live

Bruce
                    Yep come and get um!
                    Opinions are like gas;
                    I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2003
                      • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                      • BT3100

Max,

Thanks for the offer, but I own more than my wife feels comfortable with. .

Bruce

Remember; "Do it to them, before they do it to you". Desk Sgt. from Hill Street Blues
                      Samuel Colt did"

Comment

Working...