• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

With the plug out is 4&1 so I don't think I will need extra ammo. Won't be shooting through a door, they will have to be inside so the buck is plenty.
    Last edited by Whaler; 07-16-2008, 01:07 PM.
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Dick,

Looks like I didn't get in on this fast enough to also tell you 'shotgun'. A high school buddy's dad was a NY State Trooper. He was good enough to be win pistol shooting competitions but at home he had a shotgun. I asked him why and he said with a shotgun there was a much better chance he'd never have to shoot it.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Sam Conder
        Woodworker Once More
        • Dec 2002
        • Midway, KY
        • Delta 36-725T2

The Louisville, KY police department now issues Kah Arms S&W .40 exclusively. I spoke to an officer a while back and he couldn't stop saying positive thinkgs about it. He too was a 1911 guy but his Kahr was quickly winning him over.

http://www.kahr.com/pistols_KT4043novak.html

For me, if I had the dough, I'd pick up a Kimber KDP .40:
        http://www.kimberamerica.com/kpd/kpd.php
        Sam Conder
        BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• Warren
          Established Member
          • Jan 2003
          • Anchorage, Ak
          • BT3000

Put the extension on it. It's good piece of mind. I recommend access to slugs because there is no guarantee that there will be only one assailant and that you will get him with the first shot. Once they're in the house you may be busier than a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. It's good practice to sit around dream up situations and solutions. Not that anything goes as planned. You don't have to make yourself paranoid or scared, just a little mental exercise so that you won't be caught completely flat footed.

When I had the time, after a call, I'd play "what if" for a few minutes. Mental prep is often the only preperation you'll have, unless you have access to a "combat village."

Also, for piece of mind, "home invasions" are usually drug related. It's a term that the media has fallen in love with. Unless you are involved in drugs, gangs, or are a kidnap target what you would most likely face is a burglar or two. Very dangerous if drugged up, but on the whole not a classic home invasion, which is purpose driven, well thought out and usually executed by a group of somewhat trained, well armed people.
          A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• maxparot
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
            • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

When I said shot loads I mean't something on the order of 3 38 balls in a 45 long colt cartridge. It isn't to scare it is to do damage.
            Opinions are like gas;
            I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Nice choice of shotguns, Whaler. I've had one since I paid $5 down and $1 a week for 10 weeks on credit for a used one when I was 13 years old. I was a big dove and quail hunter in those days.

I think the shotgun is the best home defense, but I noticed you mentioned your ammo at 000. If.. you have chldren or family in the house, I would personally reconsider for the same reason I wouldn't choose a .357 magnum for home defense. Both have the capability to pentrate about 8 sheet-rock walls. Family in anther room could be your victim if things gets squirrely. Just a thought. I would and do use #9 bird shot for the home load. At close range the bird-shot won't have a problem putting a perp down.

I have and carry (concealed permit) a .45 Auto. I have had to use it twice long ago and in a land far away. It scored knock-downs with one round of FMJ. I witnessed three other one round knock-downs with the same weapon so I have esteem for it over the other choices.

And the distinquished gentleman from Alaska nailed it when he said that you don't know what you will do till the occasion arises. I totally agree with that statement. If have any doubt you can't fire that weapon when it becomes deadly necessary, get pepper mace instead. You cannot allow it to be taken from you and the tables turned!

Regards...

Comment

• Rounder
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2003
                • Sanford, FL, USA.
                • BT3100

I agree with most everything said in this thread. I am a believer in the multiple firearm defense system. In simple terms, I keep a pistol, rifle and shotgun handy in the house. It is hard to answer the door with a 12 gauge in your hands and I am sure it is unsettling to "Aunt Mae" who is ringing the doorbell. Hence, the reason for a pistol.

However, if someone were to kick in my front door, it would be a shotgun I was reaching for. As for the rifle, well it was a good excuse to the wife to buy the AR-15 and the AK-47. And when we faced the hurricanes and the power outages, I kept one of them handy.

The last thing is Safety, Safety, Safety. It certainly ruins the family spirit if you put a load of OO buck into Fido cause he startled you and your finger was on the trigger.

Given the number of home invasions and murders in central Florida, it is only smart to be prepared.
                George AKA Rounder

"Amarillo Slim, the greatist proposition gambler of all time held to his father's maxim; You can shear a sheep many times, but you can skin him only once."

Comment

• JR
                  The Full Monte
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Eugene, OR
                  • BT3000

Geez, you guys are freekin me out!

I'd be very unhappy if I was so afraid.

JR
                  JR

Comment

• HarmsWay
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Victoria, BC
                    • BT3000

I keep waiting for the "just kidding" part. To each each his/her own though.

Comment

• Warren
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Anchorage, Ak
                      • BT3000

JR: It's got nothing to do with being afraid, although a little fear is good at the right time. It has everything to do with having been a career police officer and seeing the real world in action. One of the things I've always gotten a sick kick out of is the neighbors who always say what a nice, guiet guy the next door neighbor was, after he's been arrested for killing his family or being a serial rapist. I know what people are capable of, I've seen and I've cleaned up after it.

You only know about your neighbor as much as he lets you know. You have no idea what is in the deeper recesses of his mind. Remember my credo; "always expect the worst of people, that way you'll never be disappointed, and sometimes you'll be pleasantly surprised."

A little, controlled paranoia is a good thing. Remember, there are people out there who would cause you harm if they could, particularly if doing so filled a need of theirs. You might know them or they might be strangers, but they're out there. I always preferred to be the predator who preyed on predators to protect the unwitting prey.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

About 3 years ago, there were around 13 break-ins in my neighbor-hood in a 6 monty span. One case of someone coming to the door posing as a salesmen and forcing his way in to rape a young lady alone. And I don't live in the ghetto!

As Warren, I have no paranoia. But I have trained my family to have a sense of alertness and realize that all of man-kind is noton a mision trying to earn the "Good Citizen-ship" merit badge. An armed or un-armed perpetrator.. on private property with no reason to be there becomes suspect.

The choices are:

Leave notes on your door explaining that they are welcome to do whatever they intend to do, so please come on in and have some milk and cookies as we have total trust that they are a good person under-neath the evil shell and all will be OK..

Or.. deal with the problem in a calm and rational demeanor as the police cannot field someone to protect my personal safety and property 24 hours a day.

The neighbor-hood burgalaries I mentioned became personal after someone broke into my wood-shop (my home was broken into with nobody home 3 months earlier) around 8 PM one week-night while I was at work. My wife heard noises down there and went to investigate. The perpetrator slid under the opened garage door as she opened the door leading to the garage shop. When she opened the outer garage door, she saw him about 25" feet away.

When he saw she was a woman, he turned and headed back toward her. She quickly determined he appeared to be un-armed, so she did as I had instructed her. She fired a warning shot above his head with her .38 snubby, ready to squeeze off round 2 if he continued to approach. A**hole and elbows through the woods to grand-mother's house was the result forturnately. And at World Class speed according to her!

BTW.. that ended the neighbor-hood break-ins three years ago and haven't had one since. But.. I won't take for granted that it couldn't.

Yeah.. to each his own I suppose. I take care of business with my family and home and let others take care of theirs in what way they see fit. And that's the way it is at the [I]SARGE[I]household.

Regards...

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Independence, MO, USA.
                          • bt3100

Be happy you DON'T know what freaked out is!

Originally posted by JR
                          Geez, you guys are freekin me out!

I'd be very unhappy if I was so afraid.

JR
                          It's all what you have seen and been around. Heck, several people I know, wonder how I kept alive this long. Tried to date a gal, but I wasn't a good Italian boy (nose knows), interested in another gal, flirting with her, then she starts dating a murderer (see Lundgren family murder), used to go visit a flea market, and another mass murderers booth as a kid (Bob Berdella, back when chinese stars were cool), abducted as a kid. Related to cops AND convicts, know and seen WAY too much. So while I am not generally a happy person, or comfortable with people in actual settings, this place is a GREAT release. All I can say, is, the saying "May you live in interesting times" really has come true for me, because
                          I have also seen the other side, friends with some famous people, and have been offered opportunities that a lot of people would love. Though I tend not to take them due to my uncomfortness around people.
                          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• maxparot
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2004
                            • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
                            • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

What is there to be scared of

I don't know why people think you need to be scared to carry a gun.
                            I was a boyscout as a kid and got used to being prepared.
                            I've never been put in a position that I've needed to defend myself, my home or a loved one but if the situation should arise one day I've taken steps to be better prepared than many others.
                            I've already made the decision of how far I'm willing to go in the event of a threat.
                            I've realized that under even the best of circumstances the police may not be close by or able to respond soon enough to ward off an attack.
                            Does this attitude make me a bad person? I hope not.
                            Do you have to worry about me being armed? Not if you aren't committing a criminal act against me or mine.
                            Would taking guns away from law abiding citizens make the world safer? Not one bit!
                            Criminals don't care about laws and will get their hands on guns legal or not. I for one don't want them better armed than my law abiding friends and family.
                            Guns are tools and in the right hands they can be used to protect or feed. Since not one gun ban ever enacted has proven to be effective in stopping crimes involving guns. Good citizens armed in numbers are the best deterent to a bad individual whipping out a gun in public. Training and preparation are the best defence in private.
                            Opinions are like gas;
                            I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• JR
                              The Full Monte
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Eugene, OR
                              • BT3000

Originally posted by maxparot
                              I don't know why people think you need to be scared to carry a gun.
                              I don't think it's unwise to own a gun, nor do I think guns should be outlawed. I also noted the discussion of safety aspects of the problem. Dick's a former maksmanship instructor, and if he's like the instructors I've had, he's probably even more concerned about safety than marksmanship when dealing with guns.

Originally posted by Whaler
                              I have a .357 revolver I keep in the bedroom but want something for the other end of the house
                              Originally posted by Rounder
                              I am a believer in the multiple firearm defense system
                              No offense meant, guys, but the fear implied in these statements is what I was referring to. Needing a firearm instantly at-hand because of the threats of the real world (yes, maxparot, I recognize there are bad people in the world) is a little sad from my viewpoint. I don't mean to imply that you're wrong to do this, only that if circimstances demand this level of readiness, the circumstances are indeed very bad.

I wouldn't want to be that afraid. I'd want to change my circumstances if I could, rather than live in that state of readiness. Being that tense would freak me out.

JR
                              JR

Comment

• Warren
                                Established Member
                                • Jan 2003
                                • Anchorage, Ak
                                • BT3000

No offense taken. Your lack of concern for your personal safety is what made my job as a cop secure. But, I also know that I was usually a first responder, not a preventer of crime. Very, very infrequently would we prevent a burglary or homocide. We might catch a killer before he killed a second or third time, a burglar after he committed a few, but rarely did we catch the first time burglar in his first attempt. We were usually not aware of the first crime until called to investigate, then we could try and identify and go after the perp, trying to prevent more criminal activity.

I'm not tense, I'm prepared. Knowing that I can handle just about any situation that arises allows me to be confident and therefore, relaxed and at ease. I keep enough enough food and supplies in the pantry to cover the inconviences of an earthquake. My vehicles are insured in case of an accident. I have insurance on my house in case of fire or personal injury. I have life insurance so my family will be taken care of. Why wouldn't I be prepared for other problems which might arise? Being prepared for emergencies makes for peace of mind, allowing me to sleep peacefuly in my home.

I hope my house doesn't burn down. I want to outlive my dependants. And, I hope I never again have to drop the hammer on a human being. And, I sure don't want to go through another big earthquake. But, all of these may happen. Preparation means not having to worry or be tense.
                                Last edited by Warren; 10-21-2006, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Working...