• Show
Clear All
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

Shopping for a new hand gun

With the home invasions that are going on I feel the need for more fire power than I have. From my research I am set on the S&W M&P 40. I would appreciate any comments pro or con.
    Last edited by Whaler; 10-19-2006, 02:45 PM. Reason: UPDATE
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

For the ultimate home protection I recommend two German Shepherds. My whole neighborhood know about mine. If you are allergic to dogs, I recommend an M60, and get the portapod mount if they have it in stock. That does it for full auto. For hand guns I like revolvers, no safety, no clips or springs, no jams. If you need more than six shots either you're in over your head, or you need more practice. I have a Dan Wesson 357 and a SW Model 10 38. Speedloaders work great too.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

Dick,
      If you have expierence with autos and like how the S&W feels/ fits your had then why not. All autos need at least 1000 rounds through them to prove their reliability for close quarters combat IMHO plus a couple of boxes of whatever load you are planning to use as a defensive load. The .40 s&w cartridge is a proven round for self defense and with HP bullets could be considered safe in an urban environ; bullet over travel less likely than a FMJ.

I've not researched that particular gun so can't give you an informed opinion on it but S&W does have a great reputaion for quality.

My personal prefence is a .45 auto 1911 but I also have spent much time with them shooting.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• eezlock
        • Feb 2006
        • Charlotte,N.C.
        • BT3100

protection for home.......

Best choice for home defense all around is a good 12 ga. pump shotgun...
        every burglar/ intruder/ thief/other worthless varmin around knows that
        sound of a shell racking in the chamber of a pump shotgun and will instantly
        shrink down to 2" in height at that sound in the middle of the night....
        especially in a dark or dimly lit house.....eezlock

Comment

• Whaler
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Sequim, WA, USA.
          • DW746

I was trained on the 45 1911 auto in the military and spent several years teaching marksmanship with it. Awsome hand gun but was thinking of something a bit lighter in weight.
          I have a .357 revolver I keep in the bedroom but want something for the other end of the house where I spend most of my time.
          I am going to go and pick up and feel some tomorrow.
          Dick

Comment

• lcm1947
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Austin, Texas
            • BT 3100-1

The M&P 40 is suppose to be a good accurate pistol, not that I personally have ever shot one. Nobody can bad mouth S&W as a manufacturer either so as far as the gun it's a fine weapon. Power wise the S&W .40 cal. is better " stopping power " wise then a 9mm which in my opinion is too light especially if my life depended on it which that's what a pistol is all about I think. My only suggestion would be that unless you plan on becoming real familiar with a semi-auto pistol I too would consider a revolver. I feel unless you plan on having regular shootouts a revolver is a lot safer and more practical for the average citizen. Now if you have police or combat training then that's another story and a pistol would be fine.
            May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• Warren
              Established Member
              • Jan 2003
              • Anchorage, Ak
              • BT3000

When people used to ask me that question I always answered that I preferred the Bennilli 12 ga., 18 in barrel, with ghost rings, side saddle and extension. The model I prefer is the auto/pump, usually set on auto. I had a sergeant that taught me that the sound of a pump action being activated had great psychological value. But, he always kept a round chambered. If he thought that chambering a round would be useful, he'd jack it. That's cop thinking.

If I'm protecting my home and family I'm not jacking rounds or shouting I've got a gun or telling assailants to leave. I'm sitting quietly, waiting and watching for the moment.

Anyone that takes a handgun to a gun fight is just plain loopy. That's what I taught my recruits. If you are going up against armed people, take the shotgun. A hand gun, I carry an HK USP .45 with laser sight, double action only,no safety, is purely for when you get surprised and can't be carrying large weapons. It is hardly an offensive weapon, purely personal protection and, unless you practice relentlessly, for close in work.

If you are defending your home from multiple assailants the shotgun should be the weapon of choice. If the wife is on the petite side, consider a 16 or even 20 guage.

And, I've you are not as sure in your mind that you can drop the hammer on a human being as you can be, and no one knows for sure until the first time, a firearm which is only going to be used to threaten may be more of a threat to the person brandishing it than the to assailant.

I won't mention gun safety in the home except to say that a lock on a personal defense weapon is stupid. If you've got young children in the home and you trust them, do you trust the friends they have over. Kids in the house require great thought as to firearms.

Final thought, at last, remember that the cops usually show up immediately after they are needed. If you ever do shot someone in defense, say nothing to the officers except to identify yourself and request your attorney.

We coppers had a different adgenda than you do. Say nothing!
              A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• mkel2000
                Forum Newbie
                • May 2004
                • Lakeside, CA, USA.

If you are truely certain you would use a gun to defend yourself and your family, then I would suggest looking at a Glock .40 caliber, either the Model 23 or the Model 27. The Model 23 is considered a small frame, while the 27 is even smaller. The advantages to the Glock are it is hammerless, strictly double action and there is no safety to try to remember in the heat of the moment. You get the benefits of a revolver, coupled with the extra ammunition of a semi-automatic.

In my experience, Glocks are some of the most accurate handguns "out of the box" that are made (this assumes the shooter can shoot. ) The first Glock I ever fired had previously had about 50,000 rounds fired through it before I used it. At the time, it was still one of the most accurate handguns I had ever fired. I've had several brand new ones since with the same result.

If you do buy a Glock, the only recommendation I would make is to either buy it with the New York trigger spring installed, or have a gunsmith install one for you after you get it. This is a much stiffer spring than the stock spring and thus requires more positive effort to engage. This is more likely to prevent an "accidental" firing. Most law enforcement agencies who use the Glock have this modification made for that reason.

Good Luck.

Mark

Comment

• drumpriest
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                  • Powermatic PM 2000

Shotgun is widely considered the best home defense option, less likely to go through walls, etc....

When I carry, I carry a CZ 75-P01, which is a 9mm semi-auto. It's a military grade weapon that underwent insane tests. Most importantly it feels good in my hand. I think that's pretty important, a quality gun that feels good to you.
                  Keith Z. Leonard
                  Go Steelers!

Comment

• Hoover
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2003
                    • USA.

I also agree with a 12 guage pump shotgun. The sound of a round being chambered lets the perp know you mean business. Also you don't have to be 100% accurate, those BBs have a great shot pattern. Close is generally good enough.
                    No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

I have to agree with the shotgun. I had a friend who could always hear the upstairs neighbor. Once his car was in the shop, and the upstairs neighbor thought he was gone. His neighbor, snuck down, and could be heard trying to pick the lock. My friend, quietly got his shotgun, and snuck to the door. When he thought the guy was close, he pumped it. Said he never heard the neighbor run upstairs so fast.
                      Besides that, you have round choices (former postal police officer told me what order they used to load). It's harder for anyone to say your carrying a concealed weopon. It's easier on the walls (won't go through as many and easier to spackle) then a handgun. And they tend to be cheaper all around (licensing, ammo, availabillity, etc).
                      Besides, if your worried about break in's. In your own house, you can wear a nonconcealed holster. That way your gun is with you (not at the other end of the house, where they may break in and find it before you make it there).
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• maxparot
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
                        • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

Nothing wrong with the MP 40 if you are comfortable with it. I like your choice of calibers for self defense the 40 is my first choice although I own handguns in 40 SW, 45 ACP, .380 and 22 Lr.
                        Another fine handgun in the same catagory as the S&W MP 40 is the Springfield XD-40 I own one and am very pleased with it. The XD is actually my second Springfield Handgun. I have a Springfield Micro Operator Ultra compact fully loaded 1911. I find you get a bit more for the $ with Springfields and the quality is second to none.
                        If you were trained on a 1911 you may like a modern compact version.
                        I agree that a shotgun is a great home defense weapon but it could tend to be a bit more messy than a handgun. Another choice is a revolver with shot loads.
                        Opinions are like gas;
                        I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Warren
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Anchorage, Ak
                          • BT3000

Maxparot, Messy? Who cares? They've got companies that specialize in cleaning such messes now. Sorry, I've got to disagree on the shot loads. If you're gonna shoot someone, put them down and out.

Again, if you're gonna confront someone and you think they're a threat, have a round chambered in the shotgun. I had a friend killed on stakeout. He followed orders and kept the chamber emptied. He came out of the beer cooler to confront one suspect. Gave the order to freeze and as he chambered the round the suspect's partner grabbed Ben's shotgun from behind him. He dropped the cannon and drew his .45. He was hit once in the throat by a .32. Before dying he returned fire hitting one fleeing assailant three times and radioed in for assistance.

If you're going to a confrontation make sure your weapon is hot. You're not screwing around in this type of situation, you're fighting for your life. If you're just trying to scare the neighbor kid away you shouldn't have a weapon in your hands. You use a weapon when you are in fear for your life or protecting some else (State laws may vary but, I'm not killing to protect my TV or automobile). If a perp is stealing something and not a personal threat, I'll get a good description if he runs when confronted, but I won't take his life. A firearm is for killing.

I will concede that if one lives in an apartment house or a dense subdivision, penetration is a consideration. A handgun with big, honking, slow bullet might be the best bet, accompanied by training and practice, lots of practice. Most people have never experienced the situation of rampant autonomic response where vision narrows, you forget to breath, and motor responses, unless well ingrained through practice or experience, can go haywire.

I don't have to worry about penetration where I live. It's 00 for a couple of rounds followed by 2 slugs in case the assailant is wearing body armor or finds cover, then back to the 00.

Just for the record, I've seen more civilian dead bodies with .22 and .32 holes in them than anything else. Of course I retired before the Mac 10's, Glocks and all the other movie bad guy guns became popular. The bad guys are getting better armed all the time.

A handgun is for personal protection. A shotgun is for home defense or going to a gun fight. Or a knife fight for that matter. I'm a firm believer in escalation. I much prefer being the guy with the better, more powerful weapon.

Comment

• Whaler
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Sequim, WA, USA.
                            • DW746

I did it today. I went with a Remington 12 ga 870 pump with an 18 1/2 bbl. I found a great deal on a used one that doesn't look like it has ever been fired.
                            The magazine plug is now gone and it's loaded with 000 buck.
                            Dick

Comment

• Warren
                              Established Member
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Anchorage, Ak
                              • BT3000

Good choice! I packed an 870 for many years in my scout car. Very dependable, tough. Possibly unneeded information, really rack that slide. The only time I ever noticed misfeeds on the range was when guys wouldn't put enough power into the slide operation.

One suggestion, it might be my inate paranoia, but I suggest a mag extension and either a side saddle or slip on round carrier for the stock. I always like to feel I had more rounds than I might need. I like having quick access to a couple of slugs also. In case you need to penetrate a wall or oak door.

Comment

Working...