• Show
Clear All
  • Howard
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Plano, Tx.
    • Laguna Platinum Series - sold my BT!

I'm Howard and I'm a WW-aholic...

I can't help it. Everytime I go into a building or restaurant I constantly look at the tables, the railings, the cabinetry. I make mental notes on whether or not I think the craftsmanship was up to snuff. I wonder what kind of finish they used. How the joints were made and how they could have been better. Were they butt joints or maybe M & T? I count the days of the workweek until I can fire up a tool on the weekend. My wife has to drag me out of the garage. It's a sickness, I know. My doctor says to take two router bits and call him in the morning. Thank goodness there isn't a Lee Valley within 2000 miles of me. Rockler is 15 miles so that is just far enough to keep me away most days. Considering all the other things available that one can avail himself to addiction wise, this one isn't too bad! Like the old song says, "if there's a cure for this, I don't want it!" How many other sinners do we have out there?
    Howard, the Plano BT3'r.

Confucious say, "Man who get too big for britches will be exposed in the end."

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it."
    - Mark Twain
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

You are not alone.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

It's only a hobby. I can quit anytime I want to!
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • IL, USA.
        • DELTA 36-675

Thank God!! I thought I was the only one.
        Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• TheRic
          • Jun 2004
          • West Central Ohio
          • bt3100

Originally posted by Pappy
          It's only a hobby. I can quit anytime I want to!
          Yea, Sure you can.
          Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• ChrisD
            • Dec 2004
            • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Do you often find yourself staring at the wood grain pattern on conference tables even though you know it's just veneer on a particleboard substrate?

Do you often smell the tip of a freshly sharpened pencil because it reminds you of the aroma created by cedar boards going through the planer?

Do you fire up your Dyson vacuum just for the simulated experience of being next to your DC?

Do you spend your lunch hours at nearest The Home Depot, Lowes, or Menards?

Do you have a Lie-Nielsen #1 as a paper weight on your office desk?

Do you get the obscene urge to caress the intricately carved gothic woodwork in a building and not feel any ounce of shame? (Even if it's like, you know, a church?)

Have you ever wrapped fine cherry or maple shavings in cigarrette paper and...

OK, I think I need my meds now.
            The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• Lefty
              • Sep 2003
              • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.

Hi Howard

The first step is admitting you have a problem...
              Eric

-Supplier of quality sawdust to southeast South Dakota!

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

I knew there had to be others. My illness rears its wonderful head when watching movies on TV, especially old movies, and looking at the woodwork, details of furniture, and furniture design. I'll say something to LOML about an old hutch that was against the wall that I had mentally photographed, and she'll say something like "There was a hutch, what hutch? Or, "What about the staircase?"

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• jspelbring
                  Established Member
                  • Nov 2004
                  • Belleville, IL, USA.
                  • Craftsman 22114

I went to a museum a couple of weeks ago. Priceless works of art...
                  ... and very well constructed display cases - mostly cherry. The doors and trim were awesome walnut... Help.
                  To do is to be.

Comment

• onedash
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2005
                    • Maryland
                    • Craftsman 22124

If it wasn't for summer heat and winter cold and limited budget I would consider myself an addict. But all those things keep it under control. Usually only busy with WW in the Spring and Fall.
                    A buddy once told me I don't half step. When I get hooked on something I am hooked. Budget usually slows me down and then I move onto something else. In the past it was plants and bonsai, Then fish which turned into a reef that died (waiting for a permanent home to start again, reefs don't move well) Photography--have liked it since I was a kid. The family gets upset when I take photos of them because it apperantly bothers them that I take more then 2 seconds to snap a photo of them and I guess it hurts to stand still a few extra seconds to get a better than average pic. And every once in a while a good game will keep me occupied far to long.
                    YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• radhak
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2006
                      • Miramar, FL
                      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I have had other interests before, but this WW has proven to be a whole new thing. I rarely stop thinking about it; so much so that i have been hoping the novelty would wear off and it would become just a small part of my life. But this thread scares me, with so many veterans admitting to it!

But the way i deal with it is deny / suppress / ignore / hide / act innocent. As a working man with small kids, i can only satisfy my 'urges' if i steal time :

My colleagues don't know that i spend my lunch time at lumber yards or HD/Lowes or driving all the way to Woodcraft. I am late picking up my daughter (ok, only sometimes) because the line at HD was moving slow, but nobody else knows. LOML is happy i am up before her on weekends - she only has a slight inkling not all that time is spent putting out the trash. She takes the girls for dance practice once a week, and that is the day i am very particular to be home early from work, timing it such that i am parking the car minutes after they have left. (she has never found out )

And the biggest - i have not watched TV for months now; even when the kids are asleep, she has the remote for all she wants ( she did admit it was no fun any longer ); many a time she thinks i have turned in early while i am in the garage.
                      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                      - Aristotle

Comment

• bigsteel15
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2006
                        • Edmonton, AB
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by ChrisD
                        Do you often find yourself staring at the wood grain pattern on conference tables even though you know it's just veneer on a particleboard substrate?

Do you spend your lunch hours at nearest The Home Depot, Lowes, or Menards?

Do you have a Lie-Nielsen #1 as a paper weight on your office desk?

Have you ever wrapped fine cherry or maple shavings in cigarrette paper and...

OK, I think I need my meds now.
                        Yes, Yes, Piece of Stainless Steel, Can't say I've tried that but...
                        I find myself imagining what the grain of a tree would look like when walking through the park.
                        Brian

Welcome to the school of life
                        Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• Howard
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2006
                          • Plano, Tx.
                          • Laguna Platinum Series - sold my BT!

I put a tv/vcr combo in the garage so I can watch the Cowboy's game on sunday while building away. Gotta be careful to keep an eye on the saw blade rather than the game. It's also handy to watch the couple of videos I got from NYW so I don't have to keep running from the house to the garage and back...
                          Howard, the Plano BT3'r.

Confucious say, "Man who get too big for britches will be exposed in the end."

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it."
                          - Mark Twain

Comment

• JR
                            The Full Monte
                            • Feb 2004
                            • Eugene, OR
                            • BT3000

A coupla years ago I went to the Getty Museum. They had a display showing 18th century furniture making techniques. The guard literally had to pull me of the priceless furniture!

JR
                            JR

Comment

• dlminehart
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2003
                              • San Jose, CA, USA.

I like the Masterpiece Theater shows on TV, because so many of the sets have British mansions with incredible woodwork. Wainscotting, rooms fully paneled in wood from floor to ceiling, staircases, you name it.
                              - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...