• Show
Clear All
  • DUD
    Royal Jester
    • Dec 2002
    • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Found Me a House

I found a house near Elementary school for sale. Me and GrandDaughters stopped and peeked inside today. It has a 2 car garage, each is seperate, and the biggest one has a side room of about 10'X20' beside it, which has glass all down front side a perfect workshop. It has a double driveway, with a big brick carport to drive thru to get to the garage area. Next to it is the room they kept there pool supplies in. Outside is a 16'X32? kidney shaped inground pool with diving board. Kids asked where the slide was, no answer. It has a built in wood pit about 5' long with a 4' lonf and 2' deep preparation table, also a concrete table. It has a basketball goal and 3 patios. There is a hallway between garage and screened/glassed back porch area. I did not call realtor, but We peeked in windows, that is the ones that had the blinds open, except 2nd floor. It has library/study, formal dining, big kitchen/all appliances, nice cabinets, formal living room, family room with wood burning fireplace, another dining area. We could see all that, some carpet, some hardwood, and some tile.

I did some looking up after I got home, it is possible to be on the historic register. It has 5 bedrooms, 3 full baths, and 1 1/2 bath. It is an estate sale, and I can get it for less than $200,000.00, how much more I don't know. If I finished My house it would bring around $100,000.00, and it is free and clear. I am leary of bringing this up to LOML as We are in the getting out of debt mode.

This is not CA prices, this is Northeast Arkansas, and it is still a great buy. It has new CH/Air, and new roof. I am sure there is some work to do on it, but doggone it I want it. It sits on about 3/4 acre, lawn needs some care. Bill
    5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Wow, Bill. That's a lot of house for the money no matter where you live!

I hope it works out for you - and for the kids. They'd be in hog heaven.

JR
    JR

Comment

• ChrisD
      • Dec 2004
      • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Good luck, Bill.
      The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• DUD
        Royal Jester
        • Dec 2002
        • Ryobi BT3000

Spoke to the wife about it, She wants to check it out, monthly payments, taxes, insurance, etc. The kicker was the 6 year old GrandDaughter talked to Her in glowing terms about it, told Her their was even room for the dog. I'm going inside tomorrow. Gonna try to remember my camera. Only trouble I see, is I'll only be about 2 blocks from my Brother and His $750,000.00 home. Bill
        Last edited by DUD; 10-12-2006, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• TheRic
          • Jun 2004
          • West Central Ohio
          • bt3100

Sounds like a great place. When in is the house warming party??

If you and your brother is anything like me and my 2 brothers. Your FIND something to pick on him about (with very little trouble). It's the least you can do, it's brotherly love.
          Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
            Bandsaw Box Momma
            • Apr 2005
            • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

Sounds like a lovely house. Around here a house like that would go for around 800,000 or maybe more. The price of houses around here is very high. Good luck and hope that you guys will be moving in soon.

And grandkids usually have a way of talking grandparents into things, I know that my daughter could talk grandpa into almost anything, and our son could sweet talk his grandma into a lot also.
            Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• DUD
              Royal Jester
              • Dec 2002
              • Ryobi BT3000

I see it this afternoon, I already like it, it gives me a 20'X20" workshop, so that's enough for me. I checked on taxes online, not too bad with My homestead exemption. I want it bad, but I hate to think of encurring more debt at my age. Wife says my life insurance will more than pay for it. Bill

Comment

• oakchas
                Established Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Jefferson City, TN, USA
                • BT3000

Good luck on this DUD!

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Sounds like it is a great house. Good luck Dud!
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• TB Roye
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                    • BT3100

Remember Your brothers house may be worth 750K but it is the people inside that make it a HOME. After what you and your family have been through you deserve something nice with a pool and a shop you are already making a home where you are and will if you get the new place. Good luck, hope it all works out. My sister has a big fancy house on the other side of town and it is cold and not very inviting. Its big and beautiful it is not a home it is a showplace not one family picture or her husband's Bass Trophys or Pictures and he was a Pro Bass Fisherman at one time. It is just beautifuly decorated house.

Tom

Comment

• Jim Boyd
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
                      • Delta Unisaw

Originally posted by DUD
                      Wife says my life insurance will more than pay for it. Bill

Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• DUD
                        Royal Jester
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Took wife over this morning, She didn't like the kitchen, so deal is off as far as She is concerned. I can't understand, it is a big kitchen, 12' counters on 3 sides, with opening for refrigerator in corner with o/h cabinet. Sink on west wall, not under south window, gas cooktop w 2 built in ovens, she wants and only uses electric. None of the positive things made a difference after she saw the kitchen. I could kill Her, but I don't have enough insurance on her. Deals off. I loved the house, both times. Bill

Comment

• TheRic
                          • Jun 2004
                          • West Central Ohio
                          • bt3100

Sorry to hear she didn't like it. If the Gas / electric is the only problem, that should be easy enough to fix / change. Might already be electric run to the area. Have seen many houses that had both run into the kitchen.

Get the grandkids to work on her some more!!
                          Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Independence, MO, USA.
                            • bt3100

It's always the little things,

that stops us from our dreams. I am six years away from no mortgage, and had a friend pass away, a little over a year ago. His house, is an older one in a good area of town. It is a smaller house that was added onto in the back, in more of a basement house sort of way. I talked with his son in law (my boss) about what I would do if I bought the house, and he thought it sounded neat. You could add on to the back, basement, and as it sets, if you added three doors, you could have an awesome shop, and a 7 car garage. It sits back off the road enough, that everyone who has called on it, thinks it's a vacant lot, that leads to an undeveloped acreage, they all want to build apartment complexes on it. It's like country living, in the city. I just can't justify getting a new mortgage.
                            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• DUD
                              Royal Jester
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Ryobi BT3000

I'm not giving up, but I hate to think about a mortgage at my age, but darn it, I want this house. I want it more than She wants 40 more acres of farm land that we are supposed to buy after the 1st of the year. Bill

Comment

Working...