• Show
Clear All
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Anyone here have a photographic memory?

I know it's a weird question, but I've always wanted to know, what do you do to forget?

Yes, there is a reason I am asking, and it won't be posted.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.
  • MilDoc

In my 20's and 30's, very little. Now .... what was the question again?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-13-2006, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• DUD
      Royal Jester
      • Dec 2002
      • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

I don't I have to write everything down, but My Brother is an Architect and He has one. Even though He very rarely draws the plans anymore, I have been to a jobsite with Him more than once and He will say, Where is the floor drain that goes here? Sure enough they look at the plans, always on the other side of jobsite, and He will be right. Bill
      5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• Texas splinter
        Established Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Abilene, TX, USA.
        • BT3100

My phone number, the names of people I knew 40 years ago, the name of anyone even remotly connected with Hollywood, and most disturbingly, the things my wife wanted me to pick up at the store while I was in town! The last is disturbing because then I go to bed with no supper!
        "Aspire to inspire before you expire."

Chuck Hershiser
        Abilene, Texas

Comment

• Otter
          • Nov 2003
          • Cumming, GA, USA.
          • Delta Left Tilt UniSaw

I don’t have a photographic memory, I don’t have visual total recall, I can recall 100% verbatim anything I hear, it is an artifact of an audio discretionary problem I have
          All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible

T.E. Lawrence

Comment

• RayintheUK
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2003
            • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
            • Ryobi BT3000

I don't think there's much - if anything - you can do to forget something, if my experience is anything to go by. I don't think the subconscious (or whatever else you want to call it) has a selective erase button anywhere.

My thoughts seems to rotate in a sort of eccentric cycle and I've never been able to sit and not think about something. If I'm relaxed, I don't get to choose the subject, otherwise I do. It's sometimes a little weird, but doesn't cause any problems I'm aware of - although LOML might have a different take on that part!

Ray.
            Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• Hellrazor
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Abyss, PA
              • Ridgid R4512

I have a photographic memory. The problem is I forget to put film in sometimes..

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

I find good people, good times, good projects are hard to forget. It's what I forgot to remember that bothers me. Wait - which thread is this?

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• just4funsies
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Florida.
                  • BT3000

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                  I know it's a weird question, but I've always wanted to know, what do you do to forget?
                  Forget WHAT??
                  ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I have a photographic Palm Pilot....does that count?
                    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

Sounds like I need another hobby (besides sitting at the pc), because when your wanting to forget something, working around moving blades just DOESN'T seem like a wise idea.

Haven't been able to sleep well lately, and now, a missed opportunity from my past has moved back, but I can't stop thinking about the LOML, (the one that responded to a proposal with "I want to be a kept woman".

There's a lot of other stuff to, but this just seems to be the straw.
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Mar 2004
                        • Northern NJ, USA.
                        • BT3100

I think so?

Never been tested or proven or etc. but I think I have it. Usually I can remember stuff just by conjuring up an image of where I saw it. The key is to conjure the full image, then zoom in on what I want. What I mean is it doesn't work for me to conjure up a sentance in a book, but rather the page of the book and then remember the sentance was in the middle of the third paragraph and look at that. When I was in law school, and really had to strudy for once, I found that what worked best for me was not to read (I have problems reading, concentration, although comprehension and remembering is always great), but to write. So, instead of reading, I would attend every lecture without fail and write copious notes. THen, I could refer back to my notes in my mind. For some reason, I coudln't refer back to the spoken word. Guess that's why its photographic?

Also, I agree with Ray in UK that its always on, kinda rotating images and thoughts, never really getting to rest. Thus, I find that physical labor works well for me. Fixing the house, woodworking, pounding salt, whatever. It uses just enough brain power to focus on the task, without using the whole brain and getting bogged down. An idle mind IS the devil's workshop (although I don't know if I'd call the results devlish or even bad, just constantly scheming).

Finally, to answer how to forget? Well, hoestly, I often self-medicate with beer and a baseball game. Sure, stats go thru my head sometimes, but that's simple numbers without a larger scheme involved. At night, if its sleep you need, I do one of several things: stay up until I can't anymore (which now is a manageable 1am or 2am), or play mind games. I find two work well. One is to do you mutliplication tables 2x2, 4x4, etc. The other is to picture a three dimensional cube (six sided) in your head and assign each side a color, then begin to rotate to cube on one axis in your mind's eye, then rotate it on both axises, again keeping the colors right, then speed it up. Usually, rotating on one axis does the trick. I know it sounds ultra geeky, but it works.

I think the trick is to think of something just "busy" enough to keep the "front" of the brain occupied, but not too busy so as to involve the whole brain crunching away at stuff. In a way, you're not forgetting stuff so much as thinking of something new in order to push the other stuff to the side.

Okay, that's my bit. Good luck.

curt j.
                        A Man is incomplete until he gets married ... then he's FINISHED!!!

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                          Bandsaw Box Momma
                          • Apr 2005
                          • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

I don't think that mine is "photographic" but maybe it is. But when I worked as a cashier where we had to punch in 6 diget numbers for potting soil and things outside like plants and other large bags of things. I could remember almost all of those numbers with out looking in a book that we kept at the registers. Most of the cashiers that worked around me would just ask me and not even look in the book.

It was kind of comical when they would train a new cashier they would say if you forget a number just ask Melissa.
                          Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• crokett
                            The Full Monte
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Mebane, NC, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3000

I can't remember if I do or not.
                            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• dwolsten
                              Established Member
                              • Sep 2004
                              • Chandler, AZ, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by 430752
                              When I was in law school, and really had to strudy for once, I found that what worked best for me was not to read (I have problems reading, concentration, although comprehension and remembering is always great), but to write. So, instead of reading, I would attend every lecture without fail and write copious notes. THen, I could refer back to my notes in my mind. For some reason, I coudln't refer back to the spoken word. Guess that's why its photographic?
                              I think I'm somewhat similar: in college, I always found I remembered things better if I wrote them down. I rarely referred back to my notes, because after writing it down I remembered it all. I don't think my memory is quite so good as to be able to remember pages in books, however.

But the other thing that struck me in your post is your comment about the spoken word. While I can remember things I see quite well, I can't remember things I hear worth a dam, unless it's music (in which case it seems like I can recall entire songs as if I'm listening to a CD). This causes me a lot of problems because, I guess, most people can remember things people tell them fairly well. For me, it seems to go in one ear and out the other, unless of course I write it down. Some people, like my wife, seem to be able to recall conversations with great clarity, and remember when a particular conversation occurred and what was discussed. For me, that stuff is all muddled together if I can recall it at all.

Comment

Working...