• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

A Rant About Posts And Posters

I haven't been involved with forums as long as some members. What got me interested in participating is the sharing of information and experiences of others. It's a lot like the saying "Ask the man that owns one", which was for a car commercial. In woodworking, there are many facets and avenues, that hold a wealth of information. To have the knowledge and experience and not share it with others will make it a lost art.

When I read a post seeking information, I assimilate all the given information, and if I think I can help or have experience with the materials or procedure, I will formulate my answer as completely as possible, based on the data given in the post. It seems that once replies start the poster starts adding information or changing the data, which might require a different response to the post. I don't know about the members here who actively respond, and there are many, but I do spend time with a reply in order to be as helpful as possible. When the poster comes back with all new or different criteria (that should have been in the first post) it makes a reply futile and a waste of time. Sometimes I wonder if the poster even reads his replies. It's possible that this scenario of adding data or further questions is only an attempt to prolong the post or add replies.

I'm very impressed with the degree of experience and knowledge that is available here. Likewise, a poster should realize when the post is part hooey, or a test to see if there are answers. NOTICE: Experienced members here know when a post is for real or not. In my limited forum experience in a few forums, I can guess who is BS and who isn't. I can guess what questions are BS and which are not. Some posts are contrived with the most inordinate set of circumstances. Of course all questions don't have cut and dry answers, and all circumstances are not ordinary. Could be just to see the type of answers that come in.

And then, to have some informative post that has 50, 100, or 150 views and hardly any replies is beyond me. I'm not really a short answer individual, and I don't think a poster likes to see - "yep" , "great" or a 2-3 word reply. But, I guess any reply is better than none. Hey - this is a rant - remember?

And, my last peeve (not really my last, but for now), are the individuals who consider themselves the "final" and "only" word on a subject and feels there is a reputation at stake and shouldn't be challenged, replies with a bully attitude or requesting some documented proof for an answer. To those I say, having done whatever it is the answer entails is that persons entitlement, or opinion. We all have the right to our own opinion. A persons method may not agree with another. I've read answers that were totally wrong, but in responding will try to offer my opinion, not saying "You're wrong". The way a reply is worded can be confrontational. The "one of the guys" attitude is apparent and may be intimidating to those who would ordinarily participate. Cliques like that don't impress anyone. Forums don't belong to anyone. To dissect someone's answer to create doubt just to boost ego and appear as an "expert", also may be preventing some members from becoming involved. I heard a definition of "expert" as "a fool away from home".

Hidden profiles are the discretion of the member. To feel that there is some insidious reason for doing so can only be reflected by the idea that to see the profile tells necessary information about the poster to aid in an answer. Hogwash. But it's OK for those to secretely check profiles. If that is the real reason, send a private message, or email the individual, so that maybe more detailed information can be shared than what would be in a profile.

Not to lose sight of the value of the discourse in the forum, or the enjoyment of participating and sharing information, we must accept the good with the bad and reap the knowledge and fun offered.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"
  • RodKirby
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Did you mean to post this on another Forum?

I need to add to this...

I'm normally quite when "things" get funny, but your post hits at the very essence that makes BT3Central VERY different from other forums.
    • If you don't like the forum - go someplace else.
    • If you don't like our forum members - go someplace else.
    • If you don't like some of the posts - deal with it.
    • If this just sanctimonious criticism - get a life.
    • If you choose to remain "anonymous" - I can see why.
    This forum has REAL people, offering REAL assistance, and learning from all contributions.
    Last edited by RodKirby; 07-28-2006, 06:50 AM.
    Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

The only point I will address is the adding or changing of information/data by a member seeking advace. Sometimes it is an afterthought that the poster remembers when he rereads the thread.

More often, I think it can be attributed to lack of knowledge on the subject in the first place. Answers to the original question make him realize the initial approach was wrong.

Remember, the forum is made up of mostly hobbiest, many of which are completely new to woodworking. Sometimes one needs an answer to a slightly wrong question to know how to ask the right question.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• Roger on the Rock
        Forum Newbie
        • Apr 2006
        • St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
        • BT-3100

I'll second what Pappy said.

I am a hobbiest woodworker who is just starting out and have many questions about many things. I am fairly new to this forum and have to say that without exception, I have been very pleased with the responses to the queries I've had.

One thing I have learned is that in woodworking there are a number of different methods and techniques to accomplish the same thing. It should be a good thing that people come back and modify their questions or ask of additional information. That shows that people are serious about their hobby and those respoding to the questions are eager to help.

My $0.02 worth.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Liberty, SC, USA.
          • Ridgid TS3650

I'm not clear where all this came from, or why you seem to be attacking the forum members, but there is an obvious solution to all of your complaints.
          JMHO

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Pappy
            More often, I think it can be attributed to lack of knowledge on the subject in the first place. Answers to the original question make him realize the initial approach was wrong.
            Yup. For instance, the extent of my knowledge on making a bundt cake is I mix some stuff together and heat it up for 40 minutes or so. I don't even know what makes a bundt cake special. So if I posted on a cooking forum my original post would go something like

"So I want to make a bundt cake. I have some flour and some water and some sugar. I'm gonna mix 'em up in a bowl then cook it with my blowtorch."

Then I'd get lots of answers back telling me either yea verily, or well you need this and this and this and you really should cook iit in an oven. Plus I'd get one or 2 folks telling me I'm too stupid to cook a bundt cake. One of the thinks I like about bt3central is last doesn't happen here.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Stytooner
              Roll Tide RIP Lee
              • Dec 2002
              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
              • BT3100

I am not sure this was an attack on anyone at all, but more of an observation about some posts and posters.
              This and nearly all forums are basically a knowledge base. Knowledge, experience, opinions, facts, ideas, questions and even rants from a broad range of folks with a common interest. Sometimes not as common, but with such a broad experience level of the members of just this forum, many different topics can be covered well.
              Another thing that I see that sparks issues on forums is miscommunication of an idea. Some guys just aren't as adept at resonding to questions. Some guys are avid writers and some feel more comfortable with one or two line replies. Concise answers can also be a goldmine to further a posters goals by helping the original poster formulate a more correct question. Another reason for a totally different question may be that the poster realized his original question won't give him the result he's looking for and that perhaps another tool or technique may be more appropriate.
              Sometimes it IS just BS.
              My point is I love the way this forum operates and don't really see too much room for improvement that I could actually nail down to one or two things. I like to see the fact based posts, as well as the opinions and just plain flying by the seat of his pants posts. All together these may just save someones life or just earn them a few brownie points with the LOTL.
              IMO, this is what its all about.
              Last edited by Stytooner; 07-28-2006, 07:19 AM.
              Lee

Comment

• PJC
                Established Member
                • Jul 2004
                • NJ, USA.
                • BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
                I

And then, to have some informative post that has 50, 100, or 150 views and hardly any replies is beyond me.

Good rant cabinetman. I understand your frustration with the quote above. Keep in mind, there are a lot of lurkers here who are not members and for whatever reason don't want to post. I believe that will rack up the views on a post. Also, I am still such a newbie that 90% of the questions asked, I don't know the answer to or I don't have the tool or type of tool that the post is asking about. I might be interested in the question posted, and check that post every time a new reply is given because I am curious of the answer myself. So, even though I don't reply, the post may count me as viewing it 10-15 times. I can't really post to the topic unless I say "Don't know the answer" or something like that, but what good does that do anybody?

Pete

Comment

• MURPHY-D
                  Forum Newbie
                  • May 2003
                  • San Antonio, New Mexico, USA.

I've been a member since May 2003 and have only posted less than 50 times. There is an old saying, "You can't heard what's being said if your mouth is busy".
                  I agree with Rod, Pappy, Lee and Pete as well as others. I generally do not post to all threads, as I have learned more from others that know more than I do.
                  Don
                  \"One of our 50 is missing\"

Comment

• RayintheUK
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2003
                    • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

I didn't look on this thread as an attack, just an opinion that contained quite a bit of feedback. My initial reaction was to ask myself if I was guilty of any of the points raised and to bear them in mind for the future - that seems healthy enough to me.

Ray.
                    Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• just4funsies
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Florida.
                      • BT3000

Not to lose sight of the value of the discourse in the forum, or the enjoyment of participating and sharing information, we must accept the good with the bad and reap the knowledge and fun offered.
                      Exactly. So why the rant? Take your own advice. Life is too short to worry about it.
                      ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• cabinetman
                        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

I guess I was having one of my "moments". Please excuse my intent as an "attack" on this forum or anyone in particular. Most of my psycho rant was developed from other forums, in which I also posted this rant. I understand the the evolving questions and answers has its benefits for many reasons, and this is what forums are about. I'm not a hit and run. I'll be here for the gunfire.

I take many things too seriously, and like I said I haven't been on forums as long as many here. I feel that bringing up the issues that can be problematic are worth discussing. Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way. I like the variety of subjects and people here. After all, speaking my mind is what posting is about even if it is half lacquer.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT'

Comment

• jAngiel
                          • Oct 2003
                          • Ryobi BT3100

I just figured that your post was a reflection of your personality, maybe a little "type A" or "anal retentive" or whatever the correct terminology is. Not saying it's a bad thing, I know a few individuals like that myself and LOML accuses me of being one too. The completed works that people post pictures of also show a hint of ones personality and yours are no different, they seem to done to a high degree of perfection.

Everyone has tendancy to rant every now and then, and this is probably one of the best forums to do it in. Most here will listen (I guess actually read), some may comment, some won't. The import thing is that you feel free to voice your opinion. If it rubs someone the wrong way, they'll get over it. If your feathers get ruffled, you'll get over it. I can only think of one person that got offended and "walked off" in a huff.

Sit back and enjoy the information exchange, there is no better seat in the house than this forum.
                          James

Comment

• Thom2
                            Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Stevens, PA, USA.
                            • Craftsman 22124

Most of my psycho rant was developed from other forums, in which I also posted this rant.
                            When the poster comes back with all new or different criteria (that should have been in the first post) it makes a reply futile and a waste of time.
                            Well then, I'm glad I didn't take the time to reply in the first place.

If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
                            **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• 91FE
                              Established Member
                              • Dec 2005
                              • Philadelphia (actually Souderton), PA.

Originally posted by Thom2
                              Well then, I'm glad I didn't take the time to reply in the first place.

Too funny!
                              I like Wagoneers too. Hey...they've got wood

Comment

Working...