X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thestinker
    • Oct 2005
    • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

Any Scooter People out There?

Well, just fising around. I saw some scotters when I was down in San Antonio earler this week, and didn't realize how afordable they were. I don't live but 12 miles from work, so it would take me a while to break even or see a profit in gas savigs, but the idea had crossed my mellon for getting one for comuting on pretty nice days. What sort or exp does anyone have with one and does this sound like a workable plan. Its also one I wouldn't consider biting on till gas gets like 3.50 or 4 $ a gallon. Which at the rate we are going we could be there in a couple of years. I hope not, but I sure don't see it going back down to 0.99cents a gallon.
    Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Originally posted by thestinker
    Well, just fising around. I saw some scotters when I was down in San Antonio earler this week, and didn't realize how afordable they were. I don't live but 12 miles from work, so it would take me a while to break even or see a profit in gas savigs, but the idea had crossed my mellon for getting one for comuting on pretty nice days. What sort or exp does anyone have with one and does this sound like a workable plan. Its also one I wouldn't consider biting on till gas gets like 3.50 or 4 $ a gallon. Which at the rate we are going we could be there in a couple of years. I hope not, but I sure don't see it going back down to 0.99cents a gallon.
    Ohhhhh man... I've been wanting a Vespa for some time now. I live 20 miles from work, so it could pay off eventually.

Plus I just want one...

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• Handy Al
      Established Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Worthington, OH, USA.
      • BT3100

I had a Yamaha Zuma a few years ago. I didn't ride it enough to justify keeping it. Was in Italy last month. They have many more models that you can get in the US.
      "I'm growing older but not up." Jimmy Buffett

Comment

• DUD
        Royal Jester
        • Dec 2002
        • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

I sold Chinese imported scooters about 3 years ago. I sold mostly electric but some gas. I sold mostly the 3 months before Christmas. I sold about 2000 electric scooters. I kept a 49cc gas scooter for myself, it has 65 miles on it and is still on it's 1st tank of gas. I have been trying to get the wife to ride it to work, but no go. It is street legal, and I believe it wholesaled about $600.00. It will do around 50 mph top end depending on drivers weight. I loved it. Bill
        5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

Originally posted by gsmittle
          Ohhhhh man... I've been wanting a Vespa for some time now. I live 20 miles from work, so it could pay off eventually.

Plus I just want one...

g.
          Visit the home of the Vespa...
          http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2006...006/giro_vespa
          JR

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

I have often wondered, it seems they say scooters aren't Highway legal, but they don't explain that. As I am surrounded by roads, that are technically highways, yet are given street names locally, or highways, that have so many stop lights in them, their posted speed limits, never exceed 45, are scooters allowed on these?

I have thought about one for the 7 miles to and from work.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• DUD
              Royal Jester
              • Dec 2002
              • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

They are legal on Arkansas streets and highways. Bill
              5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• charliex
                • Mar 2004
                • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
                • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Street and hiway legal isn't an issue. Freeway legal is. Only the larger 250 cc units are legal for limited access roads here in MN. For highway use it's a matter of (your) safety. If it's a busy road you need to keep up with trafic. I have had 3 Honda scooters, two 125's and a 150. I weigh 160 and on the flat with no wind the 150 would hit 60 mph. Up hill and into the wind or on average it would do about 50 - 55. On a busy highway this would not be safe but on a freeway with traffic at 65+ mph it would be deadly. Also watch out for Chevy Tahoes that pull out in front of you and then stop. NOT GOOD.. DAMHIKT.

Comment

• jspelbring
                  Established Member
                  • Nov 2004
                  • Belleville, IL, USA.
                  • Craftsman 22114

Scoot, scoot, beep, beep

I live in the St Louis area, and my drive to work is about 8 miles. About 2 years ago, I picked up a 150cc scooter (Kymco People 150). It's been an absolute blast. Plus, with the cargo box in the back, I can even pick up a gallon of milk (or a six pack of beer). I average better than 80mpg.

Last year, LOML got a new job that's only 4 miles from home, so she picked up one of the little 50cc scoots. She has a ball with it.
                  To do is to be.

Comment

• thestinker
                    • Oct 2005
                    • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

I have been eying the larger 250s that will suposedly cary 2 people and do around 70 or so. Not becasue I am going to tuck me and some other poor soul on a hopped up moped and do 7 on the freeway. It would just be nie to take the misses for a spin round the neigborhood and have plenty of umph to do it with. And for comuting there are 10 miles of I35 betrwwn home and work. If trafic wasn't horrible and ne I logged some miles on said scooter, that is the best way for me to comute.
                    Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

I rented one in Thailand last year and that was a blast. I am seriously thinking
                      of getting one since we're moving to a more metropolitan area with fewer
                      bicycle lanes. I'll have to look into the models that you guys listed.

Anyone trick theirs out with a wood rack?

Paul

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

I have had a 50cc scooter in Japan for about 18 years. Of course scooters in Japan are plentiful. Nice for anything two to three miles from home. Scooters are allowed to go down bike paths (at a slow pace) and it sure cuts off a 1/4 to 1/2 a mile sometimes too. Here we are limited to 45 Kph, about 30 mph.
                        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Stick
                          • Sep 2003
                          • Grand Rapids, MB, Canada.
                          • BT3100

yeah, the minimum speed limit is the problem. Most major highways have a posted minimum. In rural areas you'r fine, or in the cities. You sure wouldn't want to be on an interstate with one though. ****, I don't like being on an interstate even with my Harley. I don't understand for one second why americans feel the need to exceed the posted speed limit by 30-40mph at all times. Here in canuckland, you do that, you don't see a drivers license for 5 years minimum!

Comment

Working...