X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RagerXS
    • Feb 2003
    • Brookline, NH, USA.

Best Knife Sharpener?

I have quite a few knives in need of sharpening, from steak knives and other cutlery to pocket knives. Anyone have a recommendation? FWIW, I prefer the most cost-effective, but would also like to know what is best and the price difference (sometimes the best products go on sale). Also, how does one sharpen knives with serrated edges?

~ Fred
  • HauntedBranch
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

Family secret revealed

In the inexpensive but (honestly) does a good job of putting on or restoring the finished edge, grab a coffee cup and use the unglazed ring at the bottom.

Comment

• WayneJ
      • Jan 2004
      • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

If you go to any good store that sells kitchen ware they should be able to help you. We have a chefs central here. They have a diamond hone that does a very good job. DMT is the name,Diamond machiing technnology,out of marllborough ma. makes it. It works on all my knifes, even serrated edges. I think it was around $10.
      HTH, wayne
      Wayne J

Comment

• DUD
        Royal Jester
        • Dec 2002
        • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

There is a place called Knife Works in East Tennessee, that has anything You need concerning knifes. They have a web site. Bill
        5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• gsmittle
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
          • BT 3100

I'm partial to the Lansky Sharpener system. You can get a starter kit with a hone for serrated edges, or buy one separately. The individual hones cost about $8 each. I bought my kit about 12 years ago--I think it was around $30.

g.
          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
          Bill & Ted

Comment

• Tom Slick
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
            • sears BT3 clone

The easiest to use with great results is a set of crock sticks, also known as rabbit ears. it is two ceramic rods that are held by a piece of wood at the proper angle. no skill required and they sharpen well. I like the set that has a course and fine set of rods and two different angles in the block. that setup will cost $25.

I own and use a lansky but it does take a while to get the hang of what you are doing.
            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• SteveJ
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2006

this site is one I use and has about all you need to know about sharpening knives.

http://gpvec.unl.edu/filesdatabase/f...lot/sharp1.htm

Steve

Comment

• onedash
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2005
                • Maryland
                • Craftsman 22124

I got one of these. It was $100 but you can sharpen all your knives in minutes and a quick touch up every now an then on the stropping wheel.
                I love it. Hope it lasts forever.
                http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=13851778

Still working on my knife set. Mostly Wusthof but I have 1 henckle too.
                Still need a few more and a good set of steak knives.
                Even on the old crappy knives this works great but those knives dont stay sharp long and they arent balanced well or anything.
                YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• messmaker
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2004
                  • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                  • Ridgid 2424

You can get a pocket model of the one Onedash likes for about $10. It is easy,quick and does a pretty good job. it is a 90% solution.
                  spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• os1kne
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Atlanta, GA
                    • BT3100

Another vote for the Lansky system. It takes time, but you will end up with a razor sharp edge that will last a while. I also have one of the pocket sharpeners made by Gerber, it's a 90% solution that works great for a quick fix (cost only $5 or so).

Good luck.
                    Bill

Comment

• meika123
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Advance, NC, USA.
                      • BT3000

Many places offer the corrugated (cardboard) sharpening wheels that you use with various buffing compounds. They work great, a little messy but great. I made my own, and use it often. I have seen people use them and throw sparks from the blade.
                      Just a thought.

Dave in NC
                      Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.

Comment

• Jim Boyd
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
                        • Delta Unisaw

Geeze guys, this is a woodworking forum! There is only one tool to get and throw away serreted knives
                        Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• thiggy
                          Established Member
                          • Sep 2003
                          • Alabama.
                          • Craftsman Contractor

Dud, is this what you had in mind? It is a great place to visit (and leave a bit of your childrens' inheritance). http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/eC...Mode=Cat&Cat=2
                          SOW YOUR WILD OATS ON SATURDAY NIGHT - - - THEN ON SUNDAY PRAY FOR CROP FAILURE!

Comment

• Rounder
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Sanford, FL, USA.
                            • BT3100

I must be old fashion, or just enjoy sharpening knives. I use whetstones of various degrees. With these and a little water, i can put a razor edge on most blades (except serrated.)
                            George AKA Rounder

"Amarillo Slim, the greatist proposition gambler of all time held to his father's maxim; You can shear a sheep many times, but you can skin him only once."

Comment

Working...