• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

My Math is failing me

I had a discussion today on something I used to know (I think) some years ago.

What is a 100% increase? Twice as much, right?

A 200% increase is considered by some as twice as much as the original but in reality it is 4 times as much, isn't it?

But at the same time 200% of the original is twice as much, or is it?

Some of you math fellows or engineers straighten me out. I am getting confused!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • bpb
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • Sanford, FL
    • BT3100

This is where math and english collide to confuse people.

You are correct on everything except for a 200% increase would be 3 times as much as the original.

Comment

• just4funsies
      • Dec 2005
      • Florida.
      • BT3000

An increase OF 200% is 3X the original. An increase TO 200% is 2X the original. It's all in how you say it.
      ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

And depending on what it is that you are talking about, it's either very good or very bad.
        Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

What's always fascinated me is that
          say you received a 50% pay increase this week, but due to market turndowns etc. you were forced to take a 50% paycut next week
          then you'd be making 25% less than when you started.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Joe Lyddon
            Established Member
            • Oct 2005
            • Alta Loma, CA, USA.

Originally posted by leehljp
            I had a discussion today on something I used to know (I think) some years ago.

What is a 100% increase? Twice as much, right?

A 200% increase is considered by some as twice as much as the original but in reality it is 4 times as much, isn't it?

But at the same time 200% of the original is twice as much, or is it?

Some of you math fellows or engineers straighten me out. I am getting confused!
            It's the "Increase" that you're measuring...

You always have your Original amount...

A 100% increase is a Double; aka, original 100% + 100% increase = 2 = Double.

A 200% increase is a Triple; aka, Original 100% + 200% increase = 3 = Triple.

Original 100% + 300% increase = 4 = Quadruple...

Main Formula:
            (Orig.Amount 100% + % increase) / 100 = n times
            Have Fun!
            Joe Lyddon

Back to:
            http://Woodworkstuff.net/

Comment

• Wood_workur
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2005
              • Ohio
              • Ryobi bt3100-1

If we put those in decimal form, then a 100% increase would be an increase of 1x, or 2x the orginal. An increase od 200% would be an increase of 2x, or 3x the orginal.
              Alex

Comment

• gsmittle
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                • BT 3100

This thread is karma in action.....

...Just this morning I woke up from a horrible nightmare: I dreamt I was a math teacher....

Personally, I don't care if it's a 100%, 200%, or more increase on my paycheck, as long as it's increased!

g.
                Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                Bill & Ted

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Now I see that my problem is TWO fold:

1. I have forgotten basic English! It gets that way when you spend half the time in another language other than your own - unless you were born into a dual language environment.

I need to hone up on the "to" and "of".

2. I need to remember that 200% is 3 times as much in the context listed above!

What is fun/frustrating is getting two people who know something just "ain't" right in the conversation, but neither can figure it out!
                  Hank Lee

Comment

• Hoyden
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2005
                    • Twin Falls, ID, USA.

all in context

Percent is relative to the context it is in. Retail 50% markup is 2 times the cost or 100% of cost added to cost. We need to be careful and be sure we understand the context and the semantics of the conversation.
                    PawPaw

Comment

• onedash
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2005
                      • Maryland
                      • Craftsman 22124

Sounds like your talking about the gas pump.
                      I was listening to Neil Bortz today and a caller called in saying how terrible it is that exxon made billions of dollars. I dont like paying all this $$ for gas but i dont want the government stepping in to "fix" anything. The oil companies don't even set the price of gas and most of the oil companies proffit margins remain the same. Since the price of Oil has gone up so much over the last few years and they make XX% profit above their costs then there costs have way more than doubles so their profit will too.
                      I always try to put myself in there shoes.
                      If I opened a business and was selling something lets say cabinets and my costs are $100 and I decide to sell it for $200. Thats a dollar return on every dollar spent. Pretty good but now lets say all my costs increase to $150. So I sell it for $300. Im still only getting $1 profit for every $1 spent. But the price went up 50% just like my costs increased by 50%.
                      I bought a bike that will pay for itself after riding to work 50 times. Less if gas goes up any more.
                      YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                        cycling to health
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                        • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by onedash
                        I was listening to Neil Bortz today and a caller called in saying how terrible it is that exxon made billions of dollars. I dont like paying all this $$ for gas but i dont want the government stepping in to "fix" anything. The oil companies don't even set the price of gas and most of the oil companies proffit margins remain the same. Since the price of Oil has gone up so much over the last few years and they make XX% profit above their costs then there costs have way more than doubles so their profit will too.
                        I always try to put myself in there shoes.
                        If I opened a business and was selling something lets say cabinets and my costs are $100 and I decide to sell it for $200. Thats a dollar return on every dollar spent. Pretty good but now lets say all my costs increase to $150. So I sell it for $300. Im still only getting $1 profit for every $1 spent. But the price went up 50% just like my costs increased by 50%.
                        I bought a bike that will pay for itself after riding to work 50 times. Less if gas goes up any more.

Which gives you an increase in revenue of 50% per unit sold!
                        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• onedash
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2005
                          • Maryland
                          • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                          Which gives you an increase in revenue of 50% per unit sold!
                          Back in high school we did this in shop class. We sold stock for $1 a piece. I think around 200 shares total. We built heart shaped cherry boxes with a pivoting lid. I can't remember what the boxes sold for but I know they sold out fast. And I think the stocks were worth a little over $4 each. Pretty awsome return in less than 1 semester.
                          Awsome investment with awsome return but in the real world it takes money to make money. I couldnt make much off a stock that increases in value 5 cents. But 100K will buy lots of shares and thats a whole lot of nickles.
                          I went to a counter espionage class last week and he talked about how China is building their middle class. Once they all start driving the demand will be a lot worse. He also said that the price of gas hasnt really changed in Japan.
                          YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• leehljp
                            Just me
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Tunica, MS
                            • BT3000/3100

He also said that the price of gas hasnt really changed in Japan.
                            Chasing a rabbit here - the gas in Japan has been the equivalent of $3.00 to $4.00 a gallon for the past 15 / 20 years. Their economy is still on VERY shaky grounds, so they are trying to hold the gas price steady.
                            Hank Lee

Comment

• Deadhead
                              Established Member
                              • Jan 2004
                              • Maidens, Virginia, USA.
                              • BT3100

I saw something interesting on the History Channel yesterday. I was watching "Modern Marvels" about off-shore drilling. Back in the 80's and 90's, oil companies had to figure out a way to make a profit doing what they do when oil was selling for $25 a barrel. (BTW, I don't recall anyone wringing their hands about how bad the oil companies had it back then.)

So, they figured out how to reduce the cost of what they do so they could profit from $25/barrel oil and stay in business. Afterall, we DO need them to do what they do.

They took a chance and are being rewarded for success. That's the American Dream as far as I'm concerned.
                              "Success is gettin' what you want; Happiness is wantin' what you get." - Brother Dave Gardner (1926-1983)

Comment

Working...