Need Help From Computer "Gurus"

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jobucks
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2006
    • 32
    • Peoria, IL.
    • BT 3100-1

    #1

    Need Help From Computer "Gurus"

    Can any of you computer Gurus offer suggestions with what is going on with my system?

    Two days ago when I first turned on my system it was having problems. Getting fatal exception errors, this or that program performing illegal operation, and "locking up and crashing." Even if I hit the Ctrl, Alt, Delete keys all at once it wouldn't respond or restart. Would have to hit the "reset" button to get it to reboot and it would open in "Safe Mode." Did diagnostics, all the maintenance systems, etc. Went into system tools and under "problems" it showed that my Graphics Card was problematic. It's a 6 month old Asus, nvidia Geforce4 MX4000 graphics card. It showed that some of the drivers were missing. I "reloaded" my drivers and now in the system tools/harware profile it shows that it is OK.

    I'm no longer getting any errors, freeze-ups and everything seems fine. However now, whenever I first turn my system on and it goes thru start-up, it posts the usual info and then I get a screen, like all DOS, that says that it can't find a file. It says that it recognizes the file in the registry, but it can't find it anywhere. It says that some of the programs needing this file, it doesn't list any specific ones, may not function properly, including Windows. At the end it says the file is "vredir.vxd" Then it says to press any key to continue.

    I press the space-bar and after 30 seconds or so the screen changes to blank back ground color and a box comes up that says;
    "Unable to load Dynamic Link Library msnp32.dll. The system cannot find the file specified. Some or all of the following feature is not available. Below that and indented it says Microsoft Network. Under this is a box with OK in it. I click the box and the system then finishes loading and everything seems to be operating OK. However, there is a real faint white line running horizontally across my monitor, barely noticable.
    I've run "scan disk" and files and folders and it dosn't show any file missing or corrupted etc.

    I know this is a long post, but I'm just waiting for the thing to "Crash" completely at any time. I thought before I took it into the shop, maybe some who post on here, and are knowledgeable about computers could offer some suggestions as to what is going on and what to do!
  • Wood_workur
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • 1914
    • Ohio
    • Ryobi bt3100-1

    #2
    What I would do if I was you is to back up all of your files (I mean all of them) and then get a copy of kill disk, and completly erase your hard drive(s). then reinstall your os and all of your programs, then restore those files you backed up. I did this on one of my computers, and it works fine now.

    P.S. use ad-aware to scrub your computer first.
    Alex

    Comment

    • LCHIEN
      Super Moderator
      • Dec 2002
      • 22084
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

      #3
      http://www.duxcw.com/dcforum/DCForumID7/96.html

      do a google search for the file names that come up missing like in your case vredir.vxd and msnp32.dll. That'll get you to some places where others have had the same symptoms. May not fix it but you won't feel alone. Maybe even tell you how to fix it.
      Doncha love it when Windows declares stuff missing but gives you no hints at all?
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-17-2006, 01:16 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

      Comment

      • wreckwriter
        Established Member
        • Mar 2006
        • 449
        • South Florida
        • BT3100-1

        #4
        Don't wipe your disk, that's far from the first thing to try.

        Check this link:

        http://www.networkclue.com/os/Windows/commands/sfc.aspx

        This tells how to check your system files. It also talks about restore points which might be the easiest fix.
        http://www.wreckwriter.com/

        Comment

        • AlanJ
          Established Member
          • Feb 2006
          • 150
          • Rochester, MN
          • BT3100

          #5
          Also look at this:

          http://www.duxcw.com/dcforum/DCForumID7/96.html

          It's an old post, talking about Win 98, but it very much sounds like the same problem...
          Alan

          Comment

          • alpha
            Established Member
            • Dec 2003
            • 352
            • Owensboro, KY, USA.

            #6
            Faulty Video Drivers

            I would boot in safe mode and delete your video card in device manager, then reboot. Your machine should then boot in regular VGA mode. Then you can reload your drivers and reboot. You should then be able to reload your drivers. Then when you reboot it should recognize your video card.

            You may need to go to the manufacturer's site of the video card to get the latest drivers.

            bob

            Comment

            • wreckwriter
              Established Member
              • Mar 2006
              • 449
              • South Florida
              • BT3100-1

              #7
              Originally posted by alpha
              I would boot in safe mode and delete your video card in device manager, then reboot. Your machine should then boot in regular VGA mode. Then you can reload your drivers and reboot. You should then be able to reload your drivers. Then when you reboot it should recognize your video card.

              You may need to go to the manufacturer's site of the video card to get the latest drivers.

              bob
              I think this is a good idea but I might also do the network card as msnp32.dll is a network library.
              http://www.wreckwriter.com/

              Comment

              • MoldnMaker
                Established Member
                • Dec 2005
                • 146
                • McKenzie, TN, USA.
                • BT3100-1

                #8
                Originally posted by wreckwriter
                I think this is a good idea but I might also do the network card as msnp32.dll is a network library.

                Right on the money. I had the same exact problem when installing a wireless network device on LOML computer. The files that are missing can be copied from your Windows install disk. I found help online for this problem, but forget where. Will look around a little I may have made a copy of the web page. And if for some reason you don't have your install disk e-mail me and I'll send you the files you need.

                EDIT: Loring and AlanJ got the link I used.
                Last edited by MoldnMaker; 04-17-2006, 04:46 PM.
                "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." by Albert Einstein

                Comment

                • TJG
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Mar 2006
                  • 57

                  #9
                  It looks like you've received the right advice - the vredir.vxd and msnp32.dll are both related to windows networking. You might be able to reinstall the network card drivers, but you might need to go a bit further and reinstall windows networking components.

                  BTW, I didn't see a mention of which version of Windows you were using, but I may have missed it in the post. It's always a good idea to include that with troubleshooting a computer problem - it'll be one of the first questions a tech asks you.

                  To address some of the other items I saw in the post:

                  Your worry about a hard drive crash. Although it is always a possibility, the symptoms you describe don't seem to indicate a hard drive issue. Still, it won't hurt to back up the drive.

                  Scandisk (or Windows version of it) checks the hard drive, but it doesn't KNOW what files should be on it and doesn't care. It won't be able to tell you if a file is missing, but it might detect a file that it can't read. You didn't detect a problem here, which is part of the reason I don't suspect a hard drive problem.

                  Ad-aware is a great program, but it is primarily anti-spyware. It may have some anti-virus ability, but I would recommend using it for spyware blocking and a separate anti-virus program specifically designed for that task.
                  Your original problems could have been caused by a virus or spyware program, so it is worth running some checks. I recommend "Spybot Search and Destroy" for spyware. It is also a great program, easy to use, you can download it, and it's free. It's not a free demo or eval version, it won't stop working after 10-15-30 days, and it doesn't limit ability. It's really free.

                  KillDisk will wipe a hard drive as clean as you want it - even to the point the Department of Defense specifies for wiping their drives securely. For most users that just want to reinstall their operating system on a clean drive, a boot disk with Format will work just fine. As noted previously, I don't think that is necessary here, and don't recommend it.

                  I hope this helps, but let me know if you have more questions.

                  Comment

                  • gsmittle
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • 2793
                    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                    • BT 3100

                    #10
                    Must Resist.....

                    Can't take it any more!!!!!

                    OSX doesn't have these problems!!!!!!

                    Phew! I feel better now!

                    g.
                    Smit

                    "Be excellent to each other."
                    Bill & Ted

                    Comment

                    • wreckwriter
                      Established Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • 449
                      • South Florida
                      • BT3100-1

                      #11
                      Originally posted by gsmittle
                      Can't take it any more!!!!!

                      OSX doesn't have these problems!!!!!!

                      Phew! I feel better now!

                      g.
                      Of course you can't much software for it either and what there is is high priced......
                      http://www.wreckwriter.com/

                      Comment

                      Working...