• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I should know better but...

Will a battery charger put out enough juice for me to hook the leads to a cigarette lighter adapter so I can hook my 12 air pump to it?
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • gonesailing
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2005
    • Manzano, New Mexico, USA.

Voltage Ripple

Since cigaret lighters are generally limited to about 12 amps, the answer is probably yes but....

Many, if not most battery chargers do not do much in the way of filter the output, so the voltage is varying from 0 volts to something like 15 or 20 volts 120 times a second. I am not at all sure that would be good for your compressor.

If you try it, listen to make sure the pump is running normally, and check the motor to make sure it isn't overheating.

Mike L

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by crokett
      Will a battery charger put out enough juice for me to hook the leads to a cigarette lighter adapter so I can hook my 12 air pump to it?
      NEI - not enough information.

I can get battery chargers that range from 1Amp to 100 Amps. Depends upon your battery charger and it's intelligence.

And is it an air pump for matresses or is it an air compressor for tires?
      What amps running rating do they have?
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

compressor for tires. i plug it into the cigarette lighter in the car and go. No idea on the amp rating. 'twould be convenient to use it around the house without having to to drag what I want to inflate up to the car. Battery charger in question has a meter on it that reads anywhere from 0 to 12 volts, IIRC.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• mpc
          • Feb 2005
          • Cypress, CA, USA.
          • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Many battery chargers also sense the battery voltage before they actually turn on - to make sure you don't have the leads backwards. If you don't have a battery (and a compressor isn't gonna fake out the charger) you may get zero volts from the charger. I tried this once to run the heater blower motor in a car that had mold in the ducting... I wanted to circulate air for a couple days straight. A battery charger hooked up to the fan motor never started; I had to dig up a grungy old battery too.

mpc

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by crokett
            compressor for tires. i plug it into the cigarette lighter in the car and go. No idea on the amp rating. 'twould be convenient to use it around the house without having to to drag what I want to inflate up to the car. Battery charger in question has a meter on it that reads anywhere from 0 to 12 volts, IIRC.
            So, still not enuf info for either question.
            Can't provide a more accurate answer than, Maybe, +/- 50%.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

You have given me enough information. Try it! Famous last words of a red neck: "Hey yall, watch this!"

Seriously, I do this all the time. I have a small car 12V pump in Japan that I use in my shop to air up bicycle tires and 50CC scooter tires all the time. I just hook it up to the battery charger and it works fine for me. My battery charger is the smallest that I could get that still had power to jump start smaller cars, so I did not use a trickle charger.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Lee has the best idea yet. I will try this and see what happens.
                David

Comment

• Russianwolf
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                  • One of them there Toy saws

Since I still don't trust the alternator on my truck, I went ahead and bought the biggest portable jumper I could find. Guess what, It has a inflator pump built in and 2, count em, 2 12v accessory ports built in as well as a florecent light. All for $60.

This would solve your problem in several ways Crocket.

Once I get the truck in better shape, it'll ride along with LOML in case she needs it.
                  Mike
                  Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• crokett
                    The Full Monte
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Mebane, NC, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Well I tried it and it worked. Amp meter on the charger says the compressor draws 4amps but that was not when the compressor was filling a tire. I will try filling the wheelbarrow tire and see how it goes.
                    David

Comment

Working...