• Show
Clear All
  • 9johnny5
    Established Member
    • Mar 2005
    • Orange Park, FL
    • BT3100

Who is your favorite driver, and why?

Today is the Twin 150s, and I thought it would be neat to see who we all picked to root for, and why them specifically. I know we all have a lot of different reasons, and why not list them? I got into NASCAR because all of my firneds were, and I got tired of being on the "Outside" of all the discussions. I picked #5 Terry Labonte, Kellogg's Corn / Frosted Flakes. 5 was my lucky number, and I used the products he sponsored. (A plus, I later learned, was that he was a genuinely good guy that shunned the publicity he had earned.)

Now that Terry's not a regular, I now root for #9, Kasey Kahne, Dodge dealers Dodge Charger. I was stationed in Everett, WA, and he was the local favorite, as well as I drive a Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi, so it seemed a PERFECT fit.

Now you know the origin of 9Johnny5. Not 9-to-5 Johnny, (since I'm retired Navy and going back to college.)
    Johnny
    not exactly Norm...al
  • DUD
    Royal Jester
    • Dec 2002
    • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Driver

Being from Arkansas, My favorite is of course Mark Martin. He is a nice guy, a great racer, and is a businessman in Batesville, Arkansas. Which is just a few miles from here. I am a big collector of his merchandise, and since I repair the computer for the local Nascar store, I trade out merchandise for labor.

Mark is a clean racer with a good reputation, I don't know who I'm going to cheer for nest year, maybe Carl Edwards. I received my ticket for the Spring race in Bristol Tuesday, I can hardly wait. Bill
    5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• Mar 2004
      • Northern NJ, USA.
      • BT3100

driver?

Does nascar have drivers, or just entertainment figurheads? I know, I'll be flamed, but I don't think nascar has been about racing for many years now. Is racertainment. The chevy's, chyrslers and etc. don't even look like regular cars, they aren't regular cars, the drivers (while being skilled) have fallen into the routine with saying the right things and wearing the right sponsor's stuff and holding up x product when they win and etc. They smile, they have PR people, they have good teeth, its all awful.

drivers used to be like rock stars, when they won they acted terribly, drank untold amounts of champagne and fell down, bedded unknown amounts of women, and generally said things which couldn't be reported in good company.

That's my favorite driver, otherwise what's the point of risking yer neck?

curt j.
      A Man is incomplete until he gets married ... then he's FINISHED!!!

Comment

• lrogers
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Mobile, AL. USA.
        • BT3000

Mark Martin. A total class act and great driver.
        Larry R. Rogers
        The Samurai Wood Butcher
        http://splash54.multiply.com
        http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• rbfunk
          Established Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Garfield, NJ, USA.

Jeff Gordon and then by extension Jimmy Johnson. When I got back into NASCAR a few years back JG was hot. Donnie Neuenberger in the Busch Series because he got my tickets for the driving experiance at Dover.
          Bob
          Oh what a tangled web we weave, when we are all hopped up on caffine.

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

Tom Danielson!

Oops, sorry, different kind of racing. I must be obsessed.
            http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/
            JR

Comment

• Whaler
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Sequim, WA, USA.
              • DW746

With #3 gone it's Mark Martin. He is a class act and a old fart like me.
              Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                Bandsaw Box Momma
                • Apr 2005
                • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

Kasey Kahne

I would have to go with Kasey Kahne of course because he is from Washington. But my all time favorite driver is Dale Earnhardt Jr. He is a class act and has really shown growth over the years. I am looking forward to the 500 on sunday even though company is coming over for the twins birthday. I could name a lot of drivers that I like and a handful that I don't like.
                Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• Brian G
                  • Jun 2003
                  • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                  • G0899

Donald is my favorite Driver

I get to see him in person at least three times per year.

Brian

Comment

• thestinker
                    • Oct 2005
                    • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

Well at work we are in a fantasy nascar leauge. My 2 drivers are Jeff Gordon and Elliot Sadler. I want to see them finish #1 and#2 all year long!!!
                    Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• trash man
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Jefferson, wi, USA.
                      • bt3100

The open wheel guys

It used to be Gordo #24 . We have a dirt track neer here and I watched him when he was about 16 doing things with a midget I have not ever seen. But then came this guy named tony Stewert then awhile later Casy Kane. O I almost forgot Newman , saw him do a wild flip at the start of a B main one summer nite not so long ago. Well I guess I like to see all the ex-midget guys do well.

Trash Man.
                      If it aint broke dont fix it.

Comment

• Lstrowge
                        Established Member
                        • Jul 2003
                        • Bremerton, WA, USA.

My driver has been J. Gordon since the second year he came in to NASCAR. Mostly because I have seen him drive the heck out of a race car. He is one of the few that could take a really bad race car and get it to the front. A little bad luck last year but I think he will bounce back this year. 5th championship? Maybe.

BTW before Jeff my favorite was D.W. I hated to see him stay in the race car those last few years.
                        BigLou

Comment

• Never2old2start
                          Established Member
                          • Oct 2005
                          • Orlando, Florida, USA.
                          • BT3100

Does anyone remember a race called the "Firecracker 400"? LOL, yea, I was vacationing in Daytona quite a few? years back and saw this sign and thought, ok, I'm gonna stop and see if they had tickets left for the race. I must say, that was a heck of a race. About ten years ago I really got into the NASCAR circle because I felt like an outsider, as someone said before, and since then been a fan of the sport. I pull for the #24 and #48 teams. I also keep an eye on this guy Greg Biffle. He's gonna win a lot of races if he keeps up with his current driving skills. Kennseth is another driver to watch too. I might get torn a new one but I never really liked the #3. As a person or as a driver. It seemed that everytime he got mad or was running 2nd he would hit you in the quarter panel and put ya in the wall just to win...as he used to say...that's racing. I totally disagree. That's cheating. Anyway, I've been fortunate to have been at a few 500's in the past. Been to a lot of Pepsi 400's too. One day I want to go to the Lowes Speedway just for the experience. Can't wait until 2:30 tomorrow afternoon. Green, green, green.

~ Paul ~

Comment

• dkhoward
                            • Dec 2003
                            • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
                            • bt3000

Myfavorite driver is my wife. I try to get her to drive anytime we go anywhere in town. I even like it when she drives out on the highway cause I can nap.
                            Dennis K Howard
                            www.geocities.com/dennishoward
                            "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• dlminehart
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2003
                              • San Jose, CA, USA.

I'm fond of the little old lady from Pasadena ("Go, granny, go, granny, go, granny, go!")
                              - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...