No announcement yet.

Shelf for vintage toys

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shelf for vintage toys

My fiancee wanted a shelf to display her vintage cardboard farm animals. These probably came from a play set from the middle part of the last century.

I made this shelf unit out of pine and cut grooves into the shelves to hold the pieces, which are made of heavy cardboard about 1/4" thick with a glossy paper surface. It is very simple construction using butt joints glued up using biscuits. It is painted with a Rustoleum vintage red, then gently distressed and sanded. The backing is chicken wire.

I must say she was very satisfied with the result.

Looks like a great solution well executed!
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Looks good!

It made for a nice display and the 'touch' of the chicken wire to the back gives it sort of barnyard look... nice enhancement.

Thanks for posting,

Think it Through Before You Do!

Middle part of the last century? An important time in my life! You go Dr.

I've been gone for awhile, so I'm seeing these projects for the first time. I love the display shelf, the
          chicken wire back is such a great idea. I love the collection of cardboard animals and they look great
          on the shelf...This project is quite unique and I am a big fan of unique!

Happy to see you have returned!

I hope that you and your family are doing well.

Think it Through Before You Do!

Thanks cw...I had some health issues, then had trouble logging on.
              Forgot my password, and just recovered it last night.