• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

What Did You Build in 2014?

Here is the place to brag about what you built in 2014. Shop related, home related, for sale--whatever.

I actually did some actual woodworking this year. I made my first band saw boxes and minutes ago started the first coat of lacquer on a serving tray. I'll post pics later when I have time. They're all crap, but I'll post my embarrassment to help drive some discussion
    Joe
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

I actually had to search my started posts in Finished to verify how poor my production was last year. I really only finished one project in 2014--this Nakashima style bench:

This forum is the place to post photos of your completed projects. Please try to limit pictures to 540px wide or less so that is is viewable to all. Off-topic threads in this forum will periodically be purged so as to keep it "clean".

My efforts were rewarded at the county fair, though. In addition to the ribbons, I got a modest ($15) prize check. The biggest (and unexpected) honor, though, came from one of the fair volunteers. He created a special award for me and donated 25bf of ash he milled on his property. I don't know what I'm making for this year's fair, but I plan to incorporate that ash.

I'm hoping by this time next year, I can claim I finished off my kitchen remodel.

Paul

Comment

• JoeyGee
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Finished a serving tray today.

This forum is the place to post photos of your completed projects. Please try to limit pictures to 540px wide or less so that is is viewable to all. Off-topic threads in this forum will periodically be purged so as to keep it "clean".

Sorry, wasn't sure if I should post in this thread, or create a new one. Mods, feel free to combine.
      Joe

Comment

• BadeMillsap
        • Dec 2005
        • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
        • Grizzly G1023SL

I think I previously showed all of these but here's the lot ...

First was the crib:

Then the Jewelry Box:

Then the Urn:

Then the Plane Rocker:

Then the Shut The Box game:

Then the Guitar:

And then the Flag Case:

"Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
        Bade Millsap
        Bulverde, Texas
        => Bade's Personal Web Log
        => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Bade, please tell me you're retired to have the time to build so many great projects.

Comment

• JoeyGee
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Beautiful work, Bade.
            Joe

Comment

• BadeMillsap
              • Dec 2005
              • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
              • Grizzly G1023SL

LOL... yes I retired 3.5 years ago and have enjoyed every leisure minute. People that fret about what they would do if retired clearly have no hobbies.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
              Bade Millsap
              Bulverde, Texas

Comment

• JoeyGee
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                • BT3100-1

Paul, that bench is stunning. I missed the original thread, I think.
                Joe

Comment

• durango dude
                  • Mar 2011
                  • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                  • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Not much to brag about, here ----- I made a half dozen boxes (no pics) ---- shut down most of the year with a bout of depression ---- then climbed back out shortly before Christmas. Here's something that helped me step back up to the plate ---- it's not fancy or elaborate ----- but it does feel good to be making something, again.

Incidentally - you'll see a little bleed in the top (end grain issues we discussed earlier) ----- notice the letters came out nicer in the lower piece (small router slip).

Last edited by durango dude; 12-28-2014, 10:45 PM.

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

I went on a table building binge, lost count, probably 20. Ranging in sizes from dining room tables , small round drop leaf, 12"x12" to TV tray size.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

Antique pine dining room table for wife's Christmas present. The buffet is in progress in the shop.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                        • Grizzly G1023SL

Very nice tables!!
                        Bade Millsap
                        Bulverde, Texas

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2007
                          • Buena Park, CA
                          • CM 21829

This year was more about turning projects, and many I didn't take pictures of - pens, bowls, even trivets that were gifts for family and friends. I have links below to a few projects I posted here.

The pictures below are my most recent projects - a workbench for my youngest, and a bowl in progress. Hope to have more shop time next year.
                          Attached Files
                          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• JimD
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2003
                            • Lexington, SC.

I had a contractor add a third garage stall in a separate 14x28 garage for my shop. I didn't pay him to do the finish electrical, paint, flooring or trim carpentry, however. So I did all that in about 600 square feet (existing room over and new one were all redone). I also built a door for a storage area.

We also have a large dormer built for another attic space for a craft from for my wife. I only had the contract do the dormer so I did the other framing, rough electrical, I insulated, and I have two sheets of drywall left to install (27 already up). I hope to get it taped this week but we'll see. Everything takes longer. The 50 year old part of this house is not square and the previous home owner did some strange things. Like there was flexible duct, like about 12 inches diameter, from the crawl space where the air hander is, up our closet and across the area that will be my wife's craft room. But it wasn't hooked up. Finishing that room involved pulling all that flex duct back down into the crawl space and closing up the holes. Last one closed off yesterday. That kind of stuff takes time.

Shop garage has one outlet and lights. So it is usable but hardly a shop yet. I hope to get time to make it more usable in 2015 but bathroom projects have priority after craft room is finished. Kitchen after that (but if I convince the wife to let me make the cabinets, the shop will have to get some attention to facilitate that).

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Sadly 2014 was a poor year health wise for me. I managed to build Plantar Fasciitis, Sciatica, and a few other major annoyances that kept me out of the shop for a good part of the year.

What did manage to come out of my shop is mostly fixes for dumb stuff. A proper back panel for an MDF filing cabinet that had a factory pressed paper panel that refused to hold a nail. A few small boxes for loose tools, mount for hose reel, mount blocks for guitar hangers, and I also made a "mixer desk" for my mixer. I have a cheap Behringer 12 input mixer and I wanted to provide it with better airflow so that it can run cooler, and I wanted to angle the controls more toward me for easier use, so I built a pair of stand sort of things that anchor the front of the mixer, and lift the rear 1.5" giving me a good angle, and plenty of airflow.

The office / music room is going to get some 1x10 cut to give me plenty of room to route some split duct around the door frame for audio cables, the 1x10 will allow me to be able to position / anchor guitar hangers without having to worry if I was over a stud or not. I will also be adding hanging storage for things like instrument and XLR cables.

My next non music room / office "Project" is going to be repairing damage that was done by a family of raccoons that decided my attic was a nice place to live this summer. I need to rent some strong backs that can handle full sheets of Hardie Panel. I figure I will do that entire side at once. It's only 8 sheets that need to be done, but with my back problems, I can no longer do it myself...

My shop is a nightmare of a mess right now. I have car projects that are taking priority. They are...

#1. Replace the Variable Cam Timing Solenoids, and spark plugs on the truck.
                              #2. Replace pretty much everything that has a pulley on the front of the engine on the Saturn. Power Steering pump, water pump, idler pulley, tensioner, and Air Conditioning Compressor Clutch.
                              #3. Replace wheel stud Discount Tire broke off of the Saturn. Easy peasy job, just been too lazy to do it.
                              #4. Replace the wheel cylinders on the Saturn. Haven't been driving it, so hasn't been a priority, but it is getting there.
                              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...