• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Patio Bench-cum-Boot-Shelf

I replaced a boot shelf I had built 9 years ago with this one (discussed in this thread earlier)

I tweaked the design a bit: allowed for three shelves inside by increasing the height to 23", and changed partial-overlay doors to fully-inset ones.

This time, I resolved to use only wood already in the shop, scrap or good, without any new purchases.

This meant disguising the uneven-looking parts: so, painted the wood and covered the panels in the doors and the top with laminate that's been lying around for years now.

The face-frame is actually re-used bed slats from my kids' discarded bunk bed! Nice looking pine.

The door pulls were retrieved from a neighbor's trash.

The hinges are the only things purchased new for this project - $12.40. Decided against the fancier Blum hidden hinges.

Even the paint ('walnut satin') was leftover from before (interior/exterior).

Was supposed to be a quick-and-dirty project, but was not all that quick...!

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

I like the mental gymnastics of reduce/reuse projects. Always feels good to "lighten" up the shop. Good addition to the house, too.

I gotta ask, though. Why are the knobs at two different heights?

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by atgcpaul

I gotta ask, though. Why are the knobs at two different heights?
      +1 on that. If it's a construction error, can you call it "Spatial diversity"?
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Good question; my daughter is convinced I had a momentary 'alignment disorder' !

I just wanted some space next to each knob so that knuckles of any hand on one knob did not touch/scrape the other knob.

And I also sorta dislike too much of symmetry.
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

In Miramar Fla. I think these are called flip flop cabinets, rather than boot cabinets!
          capncarl

Comment

Working...