• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

Harbor Freight 18V cordless impact wrench

I asked my son about borrowing his Milwaukee impact wrench and he told me it had been stolen but gave him an idea. Almost 2 weeks ago he came over to help me install new floats under my dock with an early Christmas present. He bought me the Harbor Freight impact wrench, a spare battery, and a set of sockets. We then used it to remove 8 floats and install 10 in half a day. I have a 18V Ryobi impact driver but it puts out significantly less torque than the Harbor Freight wrench. Hot Rod magazine did a review and rated the torque of the Harbor Freight at 200 ft. lbs. I think that is credible. I know that as long as the battery had reasonable charge, it removed the 5/16 lag bolts and reinstalled them with no pilot hole. That was very handy since the floats are installed from below the dock (it is on legs, the water level is down in the lake) and the floats are big and ackward.

It's made like a lot of harbor freight items. Fit and finish are OK but not as good as much more expensive brands. The only significant drawback is it uses NiCad batteries and it has a 2.5 hour charger. That wasn't a problem for us, however, since a battery would last at least as long as it took to charge the next one. Lithium ion would be nice but then it would be more expensive. For occasional use, which is all I plan, this is a nice addition. It comes in a little plastic case which is handy but a place for the spare battery and sockets would have been nice. Overall I would say this is another "good one" at Harbor Freight. Worth more than he paid for it (whatever that was).

Jim
Working...